hey - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By itzy
  • 1 Post By wbrockstar

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020 Thread Starter
Rookie

hey

looking to see what people think about a price on my engine 5.0 302 no body it has

cobra intake

bbk shorty headers

h pipe

1 chamber flowmasters

3 row radiator

f cam

new pistons only top not rod and bored 30 over

roller rockers

short shifter

Last edited by itzy; 01-06-2020 at 11:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
Hard to guess. I'd really want to look over a motor that someone else built, and appearance would matter. I have seen a lot of engines where someone used good parts that I wouldn't want to own.

For me, buying a salvage yard 5.0 and building it from scratch is the way I'd go, because that way I can see everything as it's done, and know it was put together right. Buying a motor with unknown history is always scary. Was it done right? Was it flogged mercilessly for ten years, afterward? As a prospective buyer who doesn't know you, there's no way of knowing.

At least with it being in the car, you can try and show someone that the engine's in good shape (assuming it's fine!)

What kind of pistons and what brand of roller rockers did you use? E7TE heads? In the end, what I'm looking at (from your description) is a stock 5.0 bored .030 of questionable history, and a set of headers/mufflers I wouldn't use. The roller rockers are a plus, but it's all used. So maybe $400 for the short block, $200 for the intake+headers (which I'd sell) and $60 for the rockers is kind of what I'd see in my head. If you run into a guy that really likes your setup, maybe he'd feel like it's worth around $1000.

I smile a lot. It makes people wonder what I'm up to...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020 Thread Starter
Rookie

yea i understand everything you saying i'm just trying to get a ruff number to get in my head thank you for your reply
Grimbrand likes this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020
GT Member

Its not gonna help someone verify the condition of the block & rotating assembly or the cylinder heads integrity,but pictures are always a good thing to see.Ive been on here too long to remember,but your post count may be too low to post pics yet?? However,if they are allowed,its something you might list.Stroker short/long blocks are usually more in demand than stock cid engines,but youll still have some that are just looking for something simple they can score for cheap.
If the buyer is not willing to come do a local pickup,make sure you account accurately for shipping & handling charges since you cant just throw a long block in a cardboard box and be done with it.I made the mistake years ago selling a boat trolling motor & because I didn't have the proper packaging to enclose it in,it winded up costing me over half of what I made just for the right package plus shipping & since it was my fault,I didnt charge the buyer for the additional cash it took to do it right,so the item wouldn't be damaged in route.So plan that in advance.
my89foxbody likes this.

1991 Mustang lx
D.S.S. 342ci {10.5:1}
TFS 190cc + track heat
Lunati 61011 .549".565"
Pro-M 76mm maf
Jetronic 30lb inj
QA1 Coilovers
17" Weld ProStar XP's

Last edited by wbrockstar; 01-10-2020 at 05:06 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020
PONY Member

Basically its worth what someone will stroke a check for, maybe $3-400 as it sits not running as most including me would treat it as a core and tear it down anyway.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzy View Post
looking to see what people think about a price on my engine 5.0 302 no body it has

cobra intake

bbk shorty headers

h pipe

1 chamber flowmasters

3 row radiator

f cam

new pistons only top not rod and bored 30 over

roller rockers

short shifter
Did it ever run after the rebuild? How many miles on it? Did you wreck the car?
Is the cobra intake the explorer variety? They’re usually in the $300 on eBay. You’ll probably have an easier time selling the intake and exhaust stuff (if they’re not rusted out) than the motor. By the way, what would you want for the mufflers?
Crate motors with E7’s are around $1,700. So I dunno maybe ask $500-$700, but I’m not sure you’ll have too many enquirers. Maybe someone doing a 302 into a Miata or something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page