Voltage Regulator - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Apprentice

Voltage Regulator

Finally took my car to an auto parts store to test the electrical system.

Battery - ok
Alternator - Ok
Voltage regulator - ok...UNTIL I turned on the lights, AC, and radio, then it registered as FAIL.

I got it tested at both OíReillyís and Auto zone; same results.

My question is - whatís the logical next step?

ALSO - I think my digital volt gauge is out of cal. Does that matter? Why would it be like that? (it will read about .8 volts lower than what the store readers and my Schumacher charger/reader says).

(this could very well be why I have a hard time starting the more I drive the cat throughout the day, no?).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUAviator View Post
Finally took my car to an auto parts store to test the electrical system.

Battery - ok
Alternator - Ok
Voltage regulator - ok...UNTIL I turned on the lights, AC, and radio, then it registered as FAIL.

I got it tested at both O’Reilly’s and Auto zone; same results.

My question is - what’s the logical next step?

ALSO - I think my digital volt gauge is out of cal. Does that matter? Why would it be like that? (it will read about .8 volts lower than what the store readers and my Schumacher charger/reader says).

(this could very well be why I have a hard time starting the more I drive the cat throughout the day, no?).

Is yours a “police package” Mustang” that has the voltage regulator separate from the alternator? Or is regular where the regulator is part of the alternator? Time for a new alternator if it’s the latter I think.
*Edit*
First off, what year is this thing?

post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Personally I'd upgrade to a 130 amp alt.

2014 GT Premium, Track Pack, Barton shifter, Borla S-type exhaust, Resonator delete, 3.73 gears, Airaid C.A.I., 93 Race Tune, JLT Oil Separator

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lxwhite View Post
Is yours a ďpolice packageĒ MustangĒ that has the voltage regulator separate from the alternator? Or is regular where the regulator is part of the alternator? Time for a new alternator if itís the latter I think.
*Edit*
First off, what year is this thing?

Itís a Ď65 with the M-6007-x302 crate motor. Haha, so no, not the police package.
I canít tell the specs of the current alternator - itís chrome to match the dress up of the rest of the accessories...which in my mind is ďall for show, not for go.Ē Def not external regulator.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by my89foxbody View Post
Personally I'd upgrade to a 130 amp alt.

Thatís what I was thinking, just wasnít sure if there were a bunch of troubleshooting steps I needed to take to verify and then remedy.

130 amp alt - any recommendations or vendors?

Iíve got a/c, fog lights, 900w amp, retro auto sound head unit, plug my iPhone into the USB port for the stereo, electric windows, EFI.

post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Thatís what I was thinking, just wasnít sure if there were a bunch of troubleshooting steps I needed to take to verify and then remedy.

130 amp alt - any recommendations or vendors?

Iíve got a/c, fog lights, 900w amp, retro auto sound head unit, plug my iPhone into the USB port for the stereo, electric windows, EFI.

I've always used "PA Performance Mustang Alternator - 130 Amp 1619" I've also had A/C, fog lights with two amps pushing 1,500 watts. I also paired it with an Optima Yellow top battery, no fluctuation or dimming of the headlights with this setup.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/130am...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-u...lowtop-battery
CUAviator likes this.

2014 GT Premium, Track Pack, Barton shifter, Borla S-type exhaust, Resonator delete, 3.73 gears, Airaid C.A.I., 93 Race Tune, JLT Oil Separator
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
I've always used "PA Performance Mustang Alternator - 130 Amp 1619" I've also had A/C, fog lights with two amps pushing 1,500 watts. I also paired it with an Optima Yellow top battery, no fluctuation or dimming of the headlights with this setup.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/130am...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-u...lowtop-battery

Cool, thanks. How hard is that to put in? I can do most stuff with my car, I just need directions. But I also donít have a big garage that I can just lay parts out in. All my work is done in the driveway and I pull the car back in at night.

I actually went to look at replacing my red top with a yellow this weekend, but my warranty was up, so I figured I kill the alligator closest to the canoe first with the alternator.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Ah yeah, the '65. I have the PA Performance 130 amp and it allegedly puts out more amps than the OEM 3g 130 amp that came stock on my car. However, I can't tell any difference between that one and a remanufactured unit it replaced. Here's a write up someone did on putting a 3g into a '65. https://www.vintage-mustang.com/thre...equest.596668/
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Cool, thanks. How hard is that to put in? I can do most stuff with my car, I just need directions. But I also donít have a big garage that I can just lay parts out in. All my work is done in the driveway and I pull the car back in at night.

I actually went to look at replacing my red top with a yellow this weekend, but my warranty was up, so I figured I kill the alligator closest to the canoe first with the alternator.
It's fairly simple and the instructions are straight forward, here's a video

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Quote:
Cool, thanks. How hard is that to put in? I can do most stuff with my car, I just need directions. But I also don’t have a big garage that I can just lay parts out in. All my work is done in the driveway and I pull the car back in at night.

It's fairly simple and the instructions are straight forward, here's a video

His is going in a ‘65.
CUAviator likes this.
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
His is going in a Ď65.

Is that bad? :-|.

Is there much thatís different? I think everything is still mounted in the same place (safe the tensioner)

Iím just super afraid of getting it out and not being able to get the new one back in.

Just out curiosity, (since it doesnít say anywhere on the actual alt), is there a way to tell the output of the alternator that I currently have?

post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Ah yeah, the '65. I have the PA Performance 130 amp and it allegedly puts out more amps than the OEM 3g 130 amp that came stock on my car. However, I can't tell any difference between that one and a remanufactured unit it replaced. Here's a write up someone did on putting a 3g into a '65. https://www.vintage-mustang.com/thre...equest.596668/

Good stuff...

If it makes any difference, Iíve got the Painless Electrical System (not the original Ď65 wiring).

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Quote:

Good stuff...

If it makes any difference, I’ve got the Painless Electrical System (not the original ‘65 wiring).

Man, I’ve never done it and electrical really isn’t my bag. Here’s some stuff you may or may not need though... Surely one of the electricians will stop in soon.
https://www.paperformance.com/1g-3g-conversion-462802c/

That “how to” link wasn’t that good. The pictures didn’t work. I wonder about the bracket? Will the 3g slide on in?
CUAviator likes this.
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Is that bad? :-|.

Is there much thatís different? I think everything is still mounted in the same place (safe the tensioner)

Iím just super afraid of getting it out and not being able to get the new one back in.

Just out curiosity, (since it doesnít say anywhere on the actual alt), is there a way to tell the output of the alternator that I currently have?

Can you post a picture of the current alternator?

post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Can you post a picture of the current alternator?

Yep, on my way out to work Iíll snap a pic.

As for voltage regulators, I know they fail - but is there anything in general that MAKES them fail? Incorrect belt tension, improper grounding, parasitic draw, constant battery depletion (leaving lights on over night), etc???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page