Ford Mustang Forum banner

Poor Man’s Mid Pipe & Cat-Back. Thoughts and Questions

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  145566 
#1 ·
My drivers side muffler and over the axle pipe leak. So mufflers and axle pipes are a need and a new mid pipe is a want. Right now I have the stock mid pipe and the “pre cats were removed and the afts were replaced with “high flows.” The over the axle pipes are stock with 3” tips welded on.
I’ve decided on a set of two 2.5” two chamber mufflers that run $30 each. If I get a new mid-pipe I believe I am going to get the Jegs house brand o/r H and have my “high flow” cats welded in.
The axle pipes I have a few questions about. This is on a ‘95 GT. Is the stock pipe 2.25” from the muffler & over the axle and the tips were 2.5”? I was looking at LMR’s and AM’s $160 axle pipes. They’re 2.5” the whole length from the muffler to the tip. I would like to keep my 3” tips, so I was going to have a shop chop & weld. 3” diameter pipe is rumored not to fit over the axle on a SN95.
This evening I was searching out other axle pipe options and I stumbled upon what appears to be oem replacement over the axle section with out tips for $25 per side. They are 2.25” and crimp bent it appears. Fitment would be a crap shoot, there aren’t any reviews. If fitment wasn’t a nightmare I bet they would be the cheapest way to get back to new and non leaking. I’d take the over those along with the mufflers and have them weld them up along with my current 3” tip. I don’t think the muffler shop would sell me the pipe for any cheaper. The 3” tips were $75 each. I think I only need one but best to replace both sides I guess.
Questions
* The stock exhaust is 2.25”?
* Do these look like they even have a chance of fitting? Does the bend look even close? I see they have no hangers.

Do y’all really think the 2.5” pipe from the mufflers back is worth while? It already sounds pretty beastly. I’m not 100% sold on the power gains from cat-backs & axle backs. Heck, the modern “axle back” is just a muffler and an exhaust tip, and I believe they claim hp gains from axle backs. That kind of seems like claiming 15 or whatever hp from a muffler.. I’m making some power but not a ton, 330 wheel.
Every penny counts more so than every horsepower these days. If I had them ship the 2.25” to the Summit store it would be around $50 for both axle sections. The 2.5” over the axle’s would be something like $170 shipped.
Last but not least, anyone ever used a Summit or Jegs brand h-pipe?
The pic is the oem style drivers side 2.25” $25 beauty.
2.25” axle pipe
Also a pic of the 3” tip welded on the stocker. I want to reuse them with either 2.5” and the 2.25”.

2.25” axle pipe
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aph-125637

JEGS H http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/30601/10002/-1

$30 mufflers
https://www.jegs.com/i/Flowmaster/3...MIodemtqLB5wIVg5OzCh2pBAmcEAQYAiABEgKJuvD_BwE

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.