Ford Mustang Forum banner

Covid19 Top End Kit ‘95 GT

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  145566 
#1 ·
So, I’m tossing around the idea of using corona stimulus money to put a new top end on my ‘95. However, it’ll be a “budget” top end with “budget parts.”
I currently have E7’s, a .512 lift 280 duration cam, and a ported (Tmoss) HO lower and a stock HO upper intake manifold. N/A it made 223 rear horse and with a 6-8 psi kit it makes 332. On a side note it made 205 n/a prior to having the lower ported. If I do a new top end I’d like to see 400 or so at the wheels and I’d be reusing my cam and blower kit.
The cylinder heads I would use for this build would be some 190cc “knock-offs” that come with name brand parts. Yeah I know I know, offbrand heads- you get what you pay for.. But at $800 I’d still have a little wiggle room for machine shop work if needed vs a $1,500 set. As far as the heads go and power gains and goals go, surely with the blower I could reach the 400 hp mark. I’ve seen GT40 headed cars make 400 at the wheels with moderate boost.
That being said, is the Typhoon intake all that bad? A $650 TFS intake would pretty much blow the budget out of the water. Being a ‘95 I have to buy the elbow adapter for any manifold that I use and that’s another $100 or so. Currently my car makes power up around 6k rpm so I’m looking for an intake that will work in that range.
I’ll also need larger fuel injectors I do believe. I’m currently using 19#’ers with the FMU that came with the supercharger kit. The tuner told me I’d need 42# injectors to support the 332 rear horse that I’m currently making without the FMU. So I guess I’ll need larger than that? Then I’ll need a re-tune which will run around another $300.
I’ll also need new rocker arms and studs since I’m using stock ones and the new heads are stud mount.
What about pushrods? Do y’all think I could reuse mine or will I need new ones?
What’s a budget friendly rocker arm and rocker stud setup? What about “budget” pushrods?
I wish that I could slap on an $800 set of heads and go. But the $800 heads are going to turn into a $2k-$3k ordeal I’m afraid.
Any advice how to be up and running with the minimum about spent?

Here’s the heads that I’m looking at. $1200+ heads aren’t going to happen.
https://www.skipwhiteperformance.co...190cc-aluminum-heads-60cc-nkb-ford-272_92558/

I could sell my rebuilt e7’s with Comp beehive springs and ported HO intake to help recoupe some money but I doubt I’ll find many people wanting them.
Help a brother out, throw some ideas at me. Cheap injectors, manifold, rockers and studs. What do I get.
https://www.skipwhiteperformance.co...190cc-aluminum-heads-60cc-nkb-ford-272_92558/

See less See more
#2 ·
You can always double check valve geometry with your old pushrods, they might be ok! Most chromoly pushrod sets are around a $100 so not terrible. Rocker arm wise Im a fan of scorpion, come with a lifetime warranty and a set isn't super expensive. I think they were around $250.

As far as a typhoon intake, I dont think theyre terrible, they're like all knock offs. For injectors look on rock auto. I scored a set of new motorcraft 34lb EV14 injectors off rockauto for $127 all said and done. Add in USCAR to Jetronic adapters and youre off to the races for less than a set of high flow EV1 style injectors.

You will have to cross reference the BOSCH injector numbers off a few sites to confirm their flow rate, but its worth saving $200. BTW rockauto will list bosch injectors as more expensive than motorcraft. Bosch builds motorcraft injectors, theyre the same thing.

Id look around on any car you can find injector data for. Ecoboost engines etc. Make sure theyre high impedance and you may score a deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.