March Underdrives and 2 12" Subs, Charging Problems? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via MSN to spy23714
March Underdrives and 2 12" Subs, Charging Problems?

I've got two Pioneer 12" subs and I'm looking at buying some march underdrives (alternator, crank, and water pump) and I'm wondering if I'm gonna have problems with my alternator charging? Also, they're steel. I know the aluminum ones are better, but they're cheap and I can get them. Is there a big difference between the steel and aluminum? I know they weigh more, but what else?

1998 Mustang GT-SVO Headers-Steeda Tri-Ax-Flowmaster American Thunder Mufflers Dumped-Eibach Springs-Edelbrock Shocks-Tokico Struts-MM CC Plates-CAI

RIP-1989 LX 5.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007
PONY Member
5.0L Member

don't recommend if u have sound in your car, i have the original 460mach and it was making charging problems so i had to take the alternator pulley away..

2012 Mustang Gt track pack - stock for now
1994 Mustang GT - not stock
2004 Lancer Evolution 8 RS - 455whp 362tq sold
2003 Dodge Neon SRT4 - 280whp 302tq sold
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007
PONY Member
5.0L Member

I was having charging prob w/ my underdrives so I called March & got a smaller pulley & now Im all good.It was that easy

1992 gt 306 4 wheel Baer disc,BBK cont arms,magnaflow exh,h-pipe w/ high flow cats,Griffen alum rad,Motorsport shorties,Crane Fireball ign coil & box,B-303 cam,K.B.hyper pistons,heat treated chamfered knife edge & bal crank,Spec stage 1clutch w/ firewall adj 24 lb inj w/ pro-m maf, cobra intake,gt-40 heads & so on

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spy23714 View Post
I've got two Pioneer 12" subs and I'm looking at buying some march underdrives (alternator, crank, and water pump) and I'm wondering if I'm gonna have problems with my alternator charging? Also, they're steel. I know the aluminum ones are better, but they're cheap and I can get them. Is there a big difference between the steel and aluminum? I know they weigh more, but what else?
To help with the power drain from your stereo, you can buy a 1 Farad Capacitor and hook it up to your amp. This is plenty of energy storage capacity for two powerful amps. They are very easy to hook up, and you can buy one at any stereo shop, best buy, ebay, and sometimes Wal-Mart for around 80-110 bucks.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Send a message via MSN to carb_mustang Send a message via Yahoo to carb_mustang
Wont the capaciter take too much away from the battery during its charge up cycle though??
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carb_mustang View Post
Wont the capaciter take too much away from the battery during its charge up cycle though??
Not to my knowledge. I have seen people use them without problems on many stereo installs. If you have ever seen someone who's headlights dim when the bass thumps, they need a power cap. I have installed them on vehicles like this, only to see the dimming problem disappear. You will also get better performance out of your amp.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Send a message via MSN to carb_mustang Send a message via Yahoo to carb_mustang
ya thats true i just thopught maybe it would just drain too much thats all
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to Young_Buck Send a message via MSN to Young_Buck Send a message via Yahoo to Young_Buck
Could always upgrade the Alternator, as well. Buy something that gives you more charge and you'll never worry about charging problems again. I know I never did.

-YB

1990 Black Mustang GT - Breanna

Died March 18, 2009

1986 Silver Mustang Convertible - Phoenix

From the ashes shall rise...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007
Rookie
5.0L Member

you can also buy a dry cell battery they are basicaly 6 1frad caps in a battery form. I hooked one up in the back of my 5.0 and had 3 amps and 4 10 inch JL's giong off of it using the oem alternator. you hook it up just like a cap and run your distribution block off that. it works good because caps charge fast and the energy that restores them comes from the battery so it doesn't put half the load on the alternator
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via MSN to spy23714
How many amps does a oem alternator put out?

1998 Mustang GT-SVO Headers-Steeda Tri-Ax-Flowmaster American Thunder Mufflers Dumped-Eibach Springs-Edelbrock Shocks-Tokico Struts-MM CC Plates-CAI

RIP-1989 LX 5.0
Apprentice
5.0L Member

I think an oem puts out 70 or 80 i think. I also have under drive pulleys and had a problem charging not March i have another brand and when i read my papers again it says to help in charging keep rpm's 1500 or more.

88LX black 5.0, 5 speed,ported upper and lower intake,ported upper throat,phenolic spacer,3angle valve job,bbk 65mm tb & egr, jacobs ignition system ,zoom kevlar clutch,k&n,12-14 timing,plugs gapped 60,nitto450's,removed air sil,dual electric fans,after market rad,fms front lower arms,under drive pulleys,carbon brakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page