installing new gauges in a pillar pod, what to upgrade while I'm in there? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

mellow yellow, that's a great idea of teeing off the oil line, sounds less messy. Also what did you plug the hole with when you moved the water temp sensor to the neck? Have you noticed any readings difference between the two locations?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemare View Post
mellow yellow, that's a great idea of teeing off the oil line, sounds less messy. Also what did you plug the hole with when you moved the water temp sensor to the neck? Have you noticed any readings difference between the two locations?
No mess at all, there's no oil pressure with the engine off.

I used the stock manifold location for the Auto Meter, and tapped the thermostat for the original gauge. Which works great because not only do I have an accurate coolant temperature reading with the mechanical gauge, but I can now tell exactly when the thermostat opens by looking at the stock gauge.

In this picture you can see all the gauges working, except the water temp. which the t.stat hadn't opened yet, and was about to @180.

Apprentice
5.0L Member

So yeah.. going back to your original question, definitely two different readings, but the AutoMeter are the ones to go by now.

GT Member
5.0L Member

I installed the triple gauge pod with water, oil and temp. I used electrical gauges. I used the stock connections and like you, thought the disabled stock gauges would bother me. NOPE! I rarely look at them any longer. The only two that work are the amps and fuel. It's SOOOO nice to have good gauges and see what the numbers are, not in the NORMAL range like the stock gauges!!

'93 LX 5.0L Hatchback T5
- MM SFC's/MM LCA's/UPR UCA's/3.55 FRPP gears/UPR Torquebox/Aluminum DS/Spec Stage 1
- AFR165s/Custom Cam/Scorpion 1.6 RR's/Holley Systemax II/BBK 70mm TB/Pro-M 75mm MAF/24lb injectors
- Flexalite Xtreme/SVE 3 row alum radiator/PA Perf. 3G 95A/Pro 5.0/BBK CAI/Wahlbro190lph/SCT-Kurgan Tune
- MAC shorties/Flowmaster 40's & tails/Gabriel shocks & struts/Chrome Ponies
- Autometer gauges/04 Cobra seats/Pioneer sound/Satellite Radio/Billet thingys
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

ok, thanks, i like the "thermostat " gauge idea. that would be handy to know possibly. Will definitely consider doing that. what did you use for the tube on the oil pressure gauge mellow yellow? I think I'm going braided instead of that plastic tube mine came with. marks93, i can't wait to get mine in so i can have something reliable instead of factory dummy gauges. I'll end up like u and just pay attention to what's left unless I can find another use for them. i might even take out the lights behind the dead ones so they are totally hidden at night at least.
Apprentice
5.0L Member

I initially used the cheap nylon tubing , but changed to a braided line quickly after, is much safer and looks way cooler. I found a great deal on eBay something like $27 for 5' of hi quality braided line.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

that's probably what I'll do. I like the looks of braided and seems to be the best way to go.
GT Member
5.0L Member

Oh, one other note....when I installed the gauges and connected the temp gauge up to my stock temp sensor (the one screwed into the intake manifold), it wouldn't work. I had to replace the stock temp sensor with the one that came with the gauge. Not a big deal, but just an FYI to save you some time!

'93 LX 5.0L Hatchback T5
- MM SFC's/MM LCA's/UPR UCA's/3.55 FRPP gears/UPR Torquebox/Aluminum DS/Spec Stage 1
- AFR165s/Custom Cam/Scorpion 1.6 RR's/Holley Systemax II/BBK 70mm TB/Pro-M 75mm MAF/24lb injectors
- Flexalite Xtreme/SVE 3 row alum radiator/PA Perf. 3G 95A/Pro 5.0/BBK CAI/Wahlbro190lph/SCT-Kurgan Tune
- MAC shorties/Flowmaster 40's & tails/Gabriel shocks & struts/Chrome Ponies
- Autometer gauges/04 Cobra seats/Pioneer sound/Satellite Radio/Billet thingys
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

thanks marks93, I appreciate the tip. Haven't messed with mine yet, other stuff to do. Hopefully soon tho, trying to chase short first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page