Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Urambo Tauro
  • 1 Post By 1995Beast

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
1995 speedometer malfunction

Ok. I have searched this problem all that I can and I am now calling for help.

Speedometer will work sometimes and sometimes it is dead as a door nail. It flickers on and off as if it's getting a bad connection. I replaced the vss and the black plastic gear appears fine with no worn or broken parts. No better results. I have traced down the wires from the firewall to the trani the best I can without tearing the motor out and all appears fine. Only thing I have not done is take the cluster out yet and check connections. Don't understand how a bad one could have arose without me messing with anything back there. Any ideas? Bad cluster? Burnt wires? It's not touching my headers.......

Also please don't tell me it's the odometer gears like everyone does..... Yes my odometer won't work while the speedo doesn't but I replaced the broken black gears with the stronger white ones a few years ago.

Thx for reading.

5.0-Clean Machine
BBk under-drive pullies, BBk LT headers, BBk CAI, SCT chip, Edlebrock Performer Intake, Steeda Tri-Ax ST Shifter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995Beast View Post
Ok. I have searched this problem all that I can and I am now calling for help.

Speedometer will work sometimes and sometimes it is dead as a door nail. It flickers on and off as if it's getting a bad connection. I replaced the vss and the black plastic gear appears fine with no worn or broken parts. No better results. I have traced down the wires from the firewall to the trani the best I can without tearing the motor out and all appears fine. Only thing I have not done is take the cluster out yet and check connections. Don't understand how a bad one could have arose without me messing with anything back there. Any ideas? Bad cluster? Burnt wires? It's not touching my headers.......

Also please don't tell me it's the odometer gears like everyone does..... Yes my odometer won't work while the speedo doesn't but I replaced the broken black gears with the stronger white ones a few years ago.

Thx for reading.
I would have said that it was the speedo cable before the gear. Can you tell if it is binding up? I seriously doubt that it would be the cluster because it is mechanical and not digital. The VSS is for the computer and has nothing to do with your cluster.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
There is no speedo cable to my knowledge. Only vss

5.0-Clean Machine
BBk under-drive pullies, BBk LT headers, BBk CAI, SCT chip, Edlebrock Performer Intake, Steeda Tri-Ax ST Shifter

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Anybody?? Still having this issue.

5.0-Clean Machine
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017
GT Member

It sounds to me like your next step should be to pull the cluster. But if you want, you could measure VSS output first, just to make sure that it's not brand-new junk (stranger things have happened). If you have good drive/driven gears, a good sensor, good wiring and good connections (as far as you can access), then the problem is very likely to be in the dash.

Pulling the cluster will give you access to the printed circuit and the speedo assembly. Not only that, but it'll give you a chance to check a couple more connections, and you'll also be able to use a multimeter to definitively check the wiring all the way back to the VSS.
my89foxbody likes this.

1995 Mustang GT (5.0), daily driver
1995 GMC C2500 (5.7), alternate daily driver
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro View Post
It sounds to me like your next step should be to pull the cluster. But if you want, you could measure VSS output first, just to make sure that it's not brand-new junk (stranger things have happened). If you have good drive/driven gears, a good sensor, good wiring and good connections (as far as you can access), then the problem is very likely to be in the dash.

Pulling the cluster will give you access to the printed circuit and the speedo assembly. Not only that, but it'll give you a chance to check a couple more connections, and you'll also be able to use a multimeter to definitively check the wiring all the way back to the VSS.
Ok so Im bringing this thread back up because I still have the same issue. No speedo and every once in a while it will start working again intermitantly and then nothing again. So how do I check to see if a wire is bad? I have the wiring diagram on hand and a volt meter but im no expert with this multi-meter. Thank you for your help!

5.0-Clean Machine
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member

When you replaced the odometer gear you wouldn’t have happened to press down too hard causing the place where the speedo mounts on the pin to get pressed down too far causing it to drag?
I did that when changing my odom gear except it was the tach needle. The needle should move freely by hand w out rubbing the “gauge.” I had to pull my tach needle off and reset it. It now reads about 500 rpm high..
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lxwhite View Post
When you replaced the odometer gear you wouldn’t have happened to press down too hard causing the place where the speedo mounts on the pin to get pressed down too far causing it to drag?
I did that when changing my odom gear except it was the tach needle. The needle should move freely by hand w out rubbing the “gauge.” I had to pull my tach needle off and reset it. It now reads about 500 rpm high..
I replaced my odometer gears several years ago so I doubt that is the case, but I'm open to just about anything at this point so I will give it a look.

5.0-Clean Machine
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995Beast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lxwhite View Post
I replaced my odometer gears several years ago so I doubt that is the case, but I'm open to just about anything at this point so I will give it a look.
Nah. The speedo wouldn’t have been working right away.
GT Member

To test the wires, unplug the cluster and VSS, and connect one of your multimeter leads to one end of the circuit, and the other lead to the other end (you may need to use an extra jumper wire to reach that far). Use the ohm function of your multimeter to test resistance along that wire. There should be little-to-no (zero) resistance. You can also remove one of those leads and attach it to chassis ground to see if there's a short. It should have no continuity (open/infinite resistance) to ground.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
To test the wires, unplug the cluster and VSS, and connect one of your multimeter leads to one end of the circuit, and the other lead to the other end (you may need to use an extra jumper wire to reach that far). Use the ohm function of your multimeter to test resistance along that wire. There should be little-to-no (zero) resistance. You can also remove one of those leads and attach it to chassis ground to see if there's a short. It should have no continuity (open/infinite resistance) to ground.
Sorry about such a late response but i am just now getting back to messing with this on my car. Time fly's when you are having fun "work".

So i just did exactly as you explained and I am getting zero resistance for both wires that go into the speed sensor. There is a third wire for the speedometer but I am not sure where it goes to. It is the LT GRN/YEL one. I assume it goes to the fuze box or something. Tried tracking it down with little luck. I'm off to the junkyard to find a speedo cluster and give that a go. Please let me know if you or anybody else has any insightful information. Thank you.

5.0-Clean Machine
GT Member

Yeah the LT GRN/YEL one is incoming power from the fuse panel, hot at all times. You should have full battery voltage there.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Yeah the LT GRN/YEL one is incoming power from the fuse panel, hot at all times. You should have full battery voltage there.
Thank you. It is fixed!!!! Went to the junk yard and swapped out the speedo/tach gauge and it worked! I guess something in the gauge finally went out after all the years. Just hope this one lasts me for a while! Thank you and everybody else for all the help. I learned a lot from this and I hope this thread helps people in the future.
Urambo Tauro likes this.

5.0-Clean Machine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page