• 1 Post By ALMOST STK
  • 1 Post By JSmitty
  • 1 Post By ALMOST STK

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Fuel filler grommet installation

1990 Mustang GT

Yeah, I know there are other threads and even an article with pictures (only shows before/after, not during). They all say "it's easy - just pops right in", but this grommet is stiff, thick and much bigger than the hole (a good 1/4" all around). There's no way this is going in easy. All the YouTube videos, including CJPony, show before/after also, not the actual installation.

It's a new gas tank, that's actually sitting on sawhorses, so no issue with access. But even with grease there's no way this thing is going in by hand. And yes, it's the right grommet because I bought another from a different place thinking that was the problem. So before I take a mallet or screwdriver to the thing, what's the trick?

Thanks

1990 GT - bought new, been sitting 10 years ... just started restoring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017
GT Member

I just put one on my car about 6 months ago with no problem.
The only thing I can tell you is if you heat it up with a heat gun
or even a hair dryer on high it will soften up some and that might
do the trick for you.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017
SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member

Did a friend of mines at the beginning of this year and it went on pretty easy. Maybe a different brand with a little more meat on it. Not sure what to say.

2016 VW GTI 4 door DSG
1989 Sonic Blue Mustang LX Coupe, 349 ci,
392 rwhp 424 rwtq....Mustang Dyno
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers-

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

So how did you guys do it? Just push it straight in ... push and turn ... work an edge over the lip then go around the circumference ... or what?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017
GT Member
S197 Member

Garage
I did this on mine this past July. The hardest part was dropping the gas tank a bit to get a better angle, but since your tank is out that isn't an issue fr you. I just lubed it with a little bit of oil, then worked an edge over the lip then go around the circumference like you said.
JSmitty likes this.

Howelldaddy
89 LX Notch: Floo-Tek 5.0X heads, GT-40 intake, B-303 cam, Dynamic 3800 converter, 4.10:1 gears & lots of suspension work. 12.50 @ 106.42 MPH.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017
BOSS Member
5.0L Member

I did mine about 3 years ago and a buddy of mine about 2 months ago without any problems.
I put a little Vaseline in the groove and then slipped some of the gasket on to get the gasket started and then worked my way around the tank slipping the gasket in place .

Are you using the correct gasket.
JSmitty likes this.

Mustang Monthly Jan 2015- Feature
5.0 Mustang & Super Fords July 2005

Last edited by ALMOST STK; 07-11-2019 at 11:19 AM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017
SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST STK View Post
I did mine about 3 years ago and a buddy of mine about 2 months ago without any problems.
I put a little Vaseline in the groove and then slipped some of the gasket on to get the gasket started and then worked my way around the tank slipping the gasket in place .

Are you using the correct gasket.
Nice to see ya around ALMOST. I haven't been on here in months with life being a bit busy. How you been?

Also OP make sure you got the right gasket.

2016 VW GTI 4 door DSG
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers-
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017
BOSS Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf stang View Post
Nice to see ya around ALMOST. I haven't been on here in months with life being a bit busy. How you been?

Also OP make sure you got the right gasket.
Hey Smurf glad to see your back again it'll be like old times once again. You answer the question and I'll post the pics.

Like you I've been busy and I've also had a few minor setbacks in the past couple of years other than that I'm fine.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Gasket is F4ZZ-9072 (No DA)

Says 1981-97 on the package.

Just tried again. Put some motor oil all over it. I can't even get a lip started. The backside behind the groove is just too thick and stiff to bend enough to get more than an inch or so open wide enough and that's nowhere near enough to get the groove started. I tried to push it in with a screwdriver, but it's way too stiff. I can't believe a stupid rubber seal is getting me this frustrated, but I'm damned near ready to tow this sucker to the junkyard.

I scraped all the gunk off the old seal and saw the part # E7 SC-9072-A2A, then the Ford emblem, then AD 40. As chewed up as it is, the old seal's outer rim is half the width of the new one. It's only as wide as the tabs. The inner rim seems about the same size as the new, but obviously a lot more pliable. I googled this part # and the only place it came up was on a post in this forum and a T-Bird forum.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

OK, I GOT IT!!!

I always figured the tabs were for your fingers to squeeze. So I squeezed the tabs together, put the groove at the tab in the hole, then put the groove at the other tab in the hole. This leaves the sides of the seal splayed way outside the hole. Without letting go I worked one of those splayed sides into the hole. Good thing I'm a former bodybuilder because this was a *****. Once I worked that side in, you could feel three sides of the seal slip fully into the groove. Then I worked the last splayed side into the hole.

I checked with my finger around the inside and the inner rim seems to be seated.

Thanks everyone. I'm sure I'll be back. I still have a full brake and suspension replacement to do.
Howelldaddy likes this.

BOSS Member
5.0L Member

Happy to hear you got it on.
JSmitty likes this.

SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member

Congrats but being a former bodybuilder I figured you would have had this on weeks ago. Time to hit the dianabol and test

2016 VW GTI 4 door DSG
Apprentice

I wet mine with gas and pushed it in. The gas makes it slick and then evaporates. It wasn't bad.

SR Performance 75mm Throttle Body, SR Performance Upper Intake Plenum, SR Performance Cold Air Intake, Exedy Lightweight Flywheel, Exedy Mach 400 Stage 2 Clutch, SR Short Throw Shifter, Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, PaceSetter Longtube Headers, Custom 2.5" Stainless Exhaust with H Pipe and Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers , Bama X4/SF4 Tuner,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in