Speedometer Gear - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Speedometer Gear

Hey all,

I have a question regarding speedometer gears. I am currently running a 275/40/17 with 4.10 gears and an AOD transmission. According to the charts, I am in need of a 25.8 tooth gear to make my speedo read close to correctly.

I am hosed, as the shaft mounted gear inside my 1991 AOD is an 8 tooth gear. Can't change that without a complete rebuild or at least a total tear down. Apparently, the gear is machined into the input shaft.

All of the usual places carry up to a 23 tooth gear. Has anyone heard of a higher tooth count gear?

If I really need to, I could change out the rear gears to a 3.73 and be close. Those gears ask for a 23.5 tooth drive gear in the transmission. I guess that would be the closest, as I currently have 23 tooth.

Thanks for any help or ideas.

1991 Mustang LX 5.0 Convertible. 302, GT40 Heads, GT40 Intake, 1.6 Harland Sharp Roller Rockers, Accufab 75mm TB, BBK 75mm MAF, BBK CAI, 24# injectors, F303, MAC shorty headers, BBK off road H pipe, Flowmaster 40 series, Ford 4.10 gears, SR Perf Upper and Lower control arms, SR Perf Full Length Subframes, Ford Racing "B" Springs, Eibach Pro-Dampers, Smog deleted, rebuilt AOD with 4r70w gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91convert50 View Post
Hey all,

I have a question regarding speedometer gears. I am currently running a 275/40/17 with 4.10 gears and an AOD transmission. According to the charts, I am in need of a 25.8 tooth gear to make my speedo read close to correctly.

I am hosed, as the shaft mounted gear inside my 1991 AOD is an 8 tooth gear. Can't change that without a complete rebuild or at least a total tear down. Apparently, the gear is machined into the input shaft.

All of the usual places carry up to a 23 tooth gear. Has anyone heard of a higher tooth count gear?

If I really need to, I could change out the rear gears to a 3.73 and be close. Those gears ask for a 23.5 tooth drive gear in the transmission. I guess that would be the closest, as I currently have 23 tooth.

Thanks for any help or ideas.
Even the white Speedo gear for the 3.73’s isn’t great. It’s actually a Jeep part and it only pseudo mates up. After awhile the teeth will get chewed up and the speedo will be off.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I think the gear for the 3.27 is the numerical highest that will actually mesh correct without changing the trans gear as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page