Engine coolant temp after bypass at the water pump - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wbrockstar

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Engine coolant temp after bypass at the water pump

Hello,

My heater core was leaking so I bypassed it but I didn't loop the two hoses together I basically took a hose from the water pump and connected it to the other connector on the water pump and capped the other hoses. I pulled the stat and it still runs about 3/4 of the gauge with no stat in it. Do the metal pipes that go back to the heater need to have the hose connected and to be in the loop? I thought bypassing the metal tube was a good idea at the time but I'm not sure now.

Thanks for any help
91 mustang 5.0

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018
BOSS Member

Short term ok...longer term, IMHO I would connect the two hoses to avoid deadhead type pressure

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018
GT Member

If you still have the metal coolant pipe assembly in place,which has both heater hoses connected to it at the firewall end,you need to pull the heater hoses off of it then connect a U shaped hose or two straight hoses with a U shaped pvc/copper,etc pipe between them.The ect sensor resides in the supply side of the coolant pipe assembly and the egr spacer coolant supply hose resides in the return side of the pipe assembly.The ect sensor needs to remain in its original location,so that coolant can flow around it,making for a better reading.If you have caps on the firewall end of the pipe assembly,instead of a U shaped bypass
hose,coolant will be stagnant instead of circulating and the ect sensor reading will be off most likely.The ect sensor has a huge influence on fuel mixture and timing,so its important the sensor reads true coolant temp,which requires its mounting location to be the original.If you remove/have removed the coolant pipe assembly,the same hole thats used to screw the pipe to the intake,is the same hole you should use to screw your ect sensor in place.
Another thing you need to check is the secondary ground.Its the flat braided strap located between the cylinder head (rear) or intake & the firewall.Its the ground for the interior/exterior lights,ac clutch,alternator & the gauges.If the secondary ground is loose,corroded or disconnected,the temp gauge will spike anytime accessories (blower fan/ headlights/etc) are turned on,so make sure that ground is intact ................
Beechkid likes this.

91 LX 342ci (10.5:1)
TFS 190cc (stage ll)
GT40 (tubular) intake
Lunati 61011(.549"/.565")
QA1 Coilovers
Weld ProStar XP's

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank you for your help I was not sure if the coolant needed to flow I to those pipes, I see the sensor on one. I just need to find a diagram of which of the hoses goes to which pipe from then water pump.

Thanks again for all the help

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018
BOSS Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyzzz View Post
I just need to find a diagram of which of the hoses goes to which pipe from then water pump.
The rubber U-shaped hose has two different ends on it 5/8" and 3/4" so that it will fit over the heater tube assembly.

Hopefully this helps?
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBG10743
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Heater Core delete hose.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	603597  

Mustang Monthly Jan 2015- Feature
5.0 Mustang & Super Fords July 2005

Last edited by ALMOST STK; 07-11-2019 at 11:19 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST STK View Post
The rubber U-shaped hose has two different ends on it 5/8" and 3/4" so that it will fit over the heater tube assembly.

Hopefully this helps?
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBG10743

You cant get a more perfect solution than this.

91 LX 342ci (10.5:1)
TFS 190cc (stage ll)
GT40 (tubular) intake
Lunati 61011(.549"/.565")
QA1 Coilovers
Weld ProStar XP's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page