Ford Mustang Forum banner

Engine type?

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Dana W 
#1 ·
Hey guys! 😊👋

I have a mustang 71 convertible. I got it a few years back, it needed to have some engine parts changed and fixed immediately. I did so with my mechanic, well mostly him 😉 It runs super great now, starts instantly and everything’s just fine.
But we are discussing what type of engine it really is as fx the firing order is different than a 302 that comes with the 1971 convertible originally. So, engine/ or parts has most likely been changed over the years.
Surely, the plate with coding on the block is scratched, so that’s a no show. I was able to find other codes here and there on the different engine parts. I will post them in this thread.
On the corners next to the headers I have “12” and “S” for example. I know Cleveland uses “2” and “4” on these corners to indicate valves. Also I find “Z” next to “CP” on the block top. That’s Cleveland Plant right, but the “Z”?
For info, It has a 289 Edelbrock performer intake and Edelbrock carburetor.

I posted the overview of my engine, any specifics you guys would like I can try to find them, take photos and post them!
Any help would be highly appreciated 😃🙌
Best regards
MA
Denmark

Attachments

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
The 302 HO (high output) & 351w's use the 13726548 firing order.The HO firing order started in 1982 for the 302 Mustangs.1981 & older 302 Mustangs had the standard output 302 which uses the 15426378 firing order.Some of the Cougars,Tbirds,Grand Marquis & Crown Vics use the standard output 302's also.The #12 stamping you listed is actually not on the engine block.Its on the cylinder head in your picture.

The casting number on a 302 block is located on the rear,passenger side,lower portion of the block,directly beside/behind where the starter is mounted.A picture is shown below of the casting numbers location.

The following is an example of how to breakdown a casting number.

(C5ZE-6015-A)

(1st digit)= decade
B=50-59 C=60-69 D=70-79 E=80-89 F=90-99
C= 60's

(2nd digit)= year of decade
5= 5

(3rd digit)= car line
M=mercury S=tbird V=lincoln Z=mustang
Z= mustang

(4th digit)= engineering group
A= chassis B= body E= engine
E= engine

(4 digit number)= basic part number
6015= engine block

(5th digit)= suffix= revision of the part
A=original part B=1st revision C=2nd revision
A= original part

C5ZE-6015-A
1965 Mustang engine block

Attachments

Reactions: my89foxbody
#9 ·
After reviewing your plug wire routing in the picture you posted in your 1st post,it definitely appears that youve got the HO firing order. (13726548) So its likely youve got a later model 302HO engine or a 302 standard output engine that a previous owner equipped with a HO cam.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.