Foxbody 5 lug/disk rear end swap. - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Foxbody 5 lug/disk rear end swap.

Hello fellow mustang enthusiasts, I have searched YouTube and multiple forums and things and cannot find the answer I’m looking for. With that being said.

I have an 89 notch I wanna do the 5 lug disk brake swap. Junkyard budget!! I know what parts I need to take off the front of a v6/v8 sn95.

But the whole rear is what I want, so I read the v6 have a 7.5 inch rear, so that’s a no go. But isn’t there a v6 gt? Or are the GT only v8? Just so I know what to pull. There are so many sn95 at the junkyard where I live. Most are v6, I’m only asking because I haven’t found a definite answer so I thought I’d reach out. Thanks

imps likes this.

89 89 HATCHBACK H.O. = MUSTANG BOI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggzb View Post
Hello fellow mustang enthusiasts, I have searched YouTube and multiple forums and things and cannot find the answer Iím looking for. With that being said.

I have an 89 notch I wanna do the 5 lug disk brake swap. Junkyard budget!! I know what parts I need to take off the front of a v6/v8 sn95.

But the whole rear is what I want, so I read the v6 have a 7.5 inch rear, so thatís a no go. But isnít there a v6 gt? Or are the GT only v8? Just so I know what to pull. There are so many sn95 at the junkyard where I live. Most are v6, Iím only asking because I havenít found a definite answer so I thought Iíd reach out. Thanks
It seems to me that in years back, guys were using rears from Lincolns. You might look into that possibility.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

80's thunderbirds were also a source for FOX 5 lug front parts. Some guys even dumped a couple truckloads of money into swapping in the entire independent rear 9 inch suspension system from the 89 T-bird Super Coupe along with. Then too those cars were SEMA level restomods.

130 total pounds of Pitbull ruled by 8 pounds of cat.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019
GT Member

I believe,regardless of whatever model you get the 8.8 from,its still gonna require some form of parts swapping to make it work on a Foxbody.As an example,if you get the rearend out of a 8 cyl sn95 (94-95) model,the axles are 3/4" longer than a Foxbody rearend,so this unit would require axles from another model,if you want to have the same track width as the Foxbody.The solution would be to run driver side axles from a 83-92 2.3/3.0 Ranger/Bronco ll with the sn95 rearend.

1991 Mustang lx
D.S.S. 342ci {10.5:1}
TFS 190cc + track heat
Lunati 61011 .549".565"
Pro-M 76mm maf
Jetronic 30lb inj
QA1 Coilovers
17" Weld ProStar XP's

Last edited by wbrockstar; 05-18-2019 at 12:32 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Okay I’m liking the information I’m getting. Giving me a direction

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019
GT Member

If youre doing the 5 lug swap for the sole purpose of gaining rear disks and any other benefits you'll be getting out of the swap are strictly a bonus in your mind,a 4 lug rear disk swap is also a possibility,if you wanted to go even more budget.The 87-88 Turbo Coupe Thunderbirds came with a 8.8 with 4 lug rear disks.Whats even better is,the TC's with a manual transmission were equipped with 3.55 gears and the autos were equipped with 3.73 gears.A TC rear would keep you from having to buy new 5 lug rims too.In the end though,either route you take will be a vast improvement over the drum brakes.Improvements can be made to the front brakes too,if you decide to get the TC rear and retain the 4 lug setup.Click the link below and scroll to post #6.It lists everything youll need to do the TC swap,if this is the route you choose to take.

https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...s-post-8793691

1991 Mustang lx
TFS 190cc + track heat
Lunati 61011 .549".565"
Pro-M 76mm maf
Jetronic 30lb inj
QA1 Coilovers
17" Weld ProStar XP's

Last edited by wbrockstar; 05-20-2019 at 06:11 PM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

So I’m essentially doing the swap to have easier maintenance on changing brake pads, as well as having more wheel options to choose from. I know there is 4 lug options but I wanna steer away from that. Thanks again.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019
GT Member

Quote:
So Iím essentially doing the swap to have easier maintenance on changing brake pads, as well as having more wheel options to choose from. I know there is 4 lug options but I wanna steer away from that. Thanks again.

Gotcha......

1991 Mustang lx
TFS 190cc + track heat
Lunati 61011 .549".565"
Pro-M 76mm maf
Jetronic 30lb inj
QA1 Coilovers
17" Weld ProStar XP's
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019
GT Member

BTW, to answer your original question, V6 engines and GT trims are mutually exclusive. There is no V6 GT unless you encounter one that's had some work done. In stock form, GTs were V8 only, and V6s were only available in "base" trim.

But who knows what you'll find in the boneyard. For all we know, a GT owner could have replaced their fenders or bumper with base model parts, or a V6 owner might have chosen to upgrade their car with a 8.8" rear end (or maybe even a V8 swap). Fortunately, engines and axles are easy enough to identify at-a-glance if you know what to look for.

1995 Mustang GT (5.0), daily driver
1995 GMC C2500 (5.7), alternate daily driver
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Okay, guys I'm back after months of plotting and putting the mustang on the back burner. But I have purchased A 2001 gt rear end. Now I just want to be sure that now all I need is 94-95 upper rear brake hose, that go to 94-98 hard lines, then same soft lines? I just want to be sure here. Im already swapping to svo axels. Im hoping to connect everything flawless, do you guys have better suggestions?

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Okay, guys I'm back after months of plotting and putting the mustang on the back burner. But I have purchased A 2001 gt rear end. Now I just want to be sure that now all I need is 94-95 upper rear brake hose, that go to 94-98 hard lines, then same soft lines? I just want to be sure here. Im already swapping to svo axels. Im hoping to connect everything flawless, do you guys have better suggestions?
Are you just planning on using parts from the 2001 rear or are you wanting to try to use the entire housing? That housing is a full 3 inches wider than a Fox Rear, I also vaguely recall the control arm mounts requiring larger diameter bolts too. If you were planning on swapping the entire rear housing a pre 99 would have been easier.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Are you just planning on using parts from the 2001 rear or are you wanting to try to use the entire housing? That housing is a full 3 inches wider than a Fox Rear, I also vaguely recall the control arm mounts requiring larger diameter bolts too. If you were planning on swapping the entire rear housing a pre 99 would have been easier.

Awww man right when I thought I was getting everything together 🏾🏾🏾 So this housing won’t work. Money burned, so gt from pre 99? Does anyone know where to get the hard lines I need?

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

So i think I found a resolution I’ll use my stock 8.8 I have in the Fox and swap the axles and hardware for disk brakes. Will I need to swap out hard lines for a different year? I have the 01 calipers.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
PONY Member
2.3L Member

Cool

Ya know, around Christmas time this was sitting in the Pick-N-Pull yard in Windsor. Not sure if it's still there or not. Somebody already did the conversion on a '90 hatchback. Looks like 94-98 GT/v6 front brakes and 94-04 GT/v6 rear brakes along with the 8.8 rear with 3.27 gear.

https://imgur.com/QjV0Xwz
https://imgur.com/m3XqvrR
https://imgur.com/smWSHgc
https://imgur.com/c5VJpiO
https://imgur.com/IuoHJ2w
shakerhood likes this.

'93 5.0 LX ragtop - Donor car for '54 Ford Customline
'89 LX ragtop with turbo'd TC motor - Thunderstang!
'86 Turbo Coupe (daily driver)
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
So i think I found a resolution Iíll use my stock 8.8 I have in the Fox and swap the axles and hardware for disk brakes. Will I need to swap out hard lines for a different year? I have the 01 calipers.
You should be able to use the backing plates and brakes from the 2001 along with axles from a 1994-1998.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page