Cam, lifters and pushrod install - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Cam, lifters and pushrod install

Morning all...…

Just finish installing trick flow stage 1 cam, 1.7 roller rocker, trick flow roller lifters, with stock length push rods after measuring, into a 1988 gt 5.0 motor, existing power plant consists of gt40 heads, trick flow upper and lower intake and all the bolt ons, crank it up yesterday hearing a tapping sound from under the valve covers, seeking any advice on any of the steps I screwed up on?????

Thanks in advance

MMC....

88GT, GT40 Heads, Trick Flow Stage 1 Cam, 1.73 Roller Rockers, Trick Flow Upper and Lower Intake, BBK Headers, BBK H-Pipe, Flowmaster 40 Series Mufflers, BBK Under Pullies, BBK short Shifter, BBK Adjustable Clutch Cable, BBK Cold Air Intake, BBK 75mm TB, Msd Distributor, 3.73 Gears, 3g Alternator, Duel Electric Fan, And Adding!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
Did you check the pattern on your roller rockers? What valve covers are you running? With roller rockers, it is common for you to be making contact with the baffle or even elsewhere in the cover. If that's your problem, you can try valve cover spacers to raise 'em up just a little.

I smile a lot. It makes people wonder what I'm up to...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Don't understand what you mean by check pattern, however I'm using trick flow tall valve cover with no baffler in them.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
On a newly assembled engine, it is customary to clean the valve tips and rollers carefully, then put magic marker (or dye) on the ends of the valve tips. Then you assemble everything again, make sure they're adjusted, and turn the engine over by hand through at least one complete cycle. If the valvetrain geometry is right, you get a nice even bar across the middle of each valve tip, where the rollers from your rockers disrupted the dye. This shows that everything's making contact properly, that the pushrods are the right length, and everything's been adjusted the way it should be. If there's any problems, that should show up too.

Check this video to explain it more simply:

I smile a lot. It makes people wonder what I'm up to...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Yes I did this and the rocker was dead center of the valve.

88GT, GT40 Heads, Trick Flow Stage 1 Cam, 1.73 Roller Rockers, Trick Flow Upper and Lower Intake, BBK Headers, BBK H-Pipe, Flowmaster 40 Series Mufflers, BBK Under Pullies, BBK short Shifter, BBK Adjustable Clutch Cable, BBK Cold Air Intake, BBK 75mm TB, Msd Distributor, 3.73 Gears, 3g Alternator, Duel Electric Fan, And Adding!!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Replace 1.7 roller rockers with 1.6 with stock length push rods engine level out and runs fine

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandmon View Post
Replace 1.7 roller rockers with 1.6 with stock length push rods engine level out and runs fine
How's it running? Can you tell a difference with the cam?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

It runs awesome I love the chop and the aggressive sound the cam causes haven't driven it yet still fine tuning but the cam tfs1 cam and 1.6rr make a big difference....

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandmon View Post
It runs awesome I love the chop and the aggressive sound the cam causes haven't driven it yet still fine tuning but the cam tfs1 cam and 1.6rr make a big difference....
Good deal man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page