Cam question for 94 302 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Cam question for 94 302

Hey guys so i have a 91 bricknose truck that i got a while back and had a new engine put in from a 94 its a roller cam with a aftermarket 4 barrel carb intake manifold and a few other things but im pretty sure it has stock heads and cam my question is do i need aftermarket heads if i wanted to upgrade my cam? And also what are good options for a good cam and head if needed for a heavy lifted truck that also gains good power on a budget lastly do i need to worry about valve springs and lifters and such (sorry im new to the modding world) thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019
GT Member

If its a 302HO from a 94 Mustang,it'll have E7TE heads and a camshaft with about .445" of lift w/ 1.6 rockers.A cam wont make much of a difference without heads,but heads on their own can give a decent increase,depending on which ones you get.If you've got the cash,a good set of aluminum heads will give you the best power increase.AFR & TFS are great,but they're not gonna fall under the budget category.Either will be above $1000 unless you can find some good used ones,but look them over carefully before/if
buying.There are some cheaper brand heads available,but I hear complaints quite a bit about their quality,including casting flaws,cheap valvetrain components,valve seat inaccuracies, etc,so do your research by reading reviews,etc before you decide to buy.
A truck requires tq to get it moving,so choosing a cam with good tq in the low to midrange is likely best over something with hp in higher ranges.What you plan to do with the truck is another consideration.If its a daily driver or trail only or both??Its probably best to talk to a tech at some of the popular cam companies to get some suggestions so you can explain exactly what you're after.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member

If you go with an aftermarket cam and use stock heads you'll need to upgrade the valvetrain in them. But I don't think I'd get an aftermarket cam to be used with stock heads.
I have an aftermarket cam being used with set of stock (other than valve springs) e7te heads on my mustang and the performance of the cam was lack luster. I'm not sure how much gain the cam gave but it wasn't much. A fresh 306, stock heads, .512 lift cam (from a .444 or so lift cam stock), and stock intake manifold made 205 rear horse. So it might have been good for 10 horsepower or so.
The heads are the major restriction.
The idea is to have the heads, cam, and intake "match" as far as where the powerband is. So if you want to reuse your intake, find a cam and heads he work within the intake manifolds "rpm operating range."
If a set of new heads aren't in the budget, I'd keep the stock cam and upgrade the rear differential if you hadn't already. You know get some sort of locker or a limited slip. I think you'd get better bang for the buck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page