Adjusting rack and pinion - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Adjusting rack and pinion

Hi everybody, really appreciate how much all of you have helped me in the past. My current 95 mustang gt has slack in the steering rack. I have replaced everything in the steering including a MM steering shaft. I can see everything is solid to the rack. It's not much but there. Sn cars look to have a cap over the adjustment unlike foxes that just have Locknut. Anybody know what I will see under the "nut"? I cannot find any good picks of adjusting sn racks. Can anyone help?
Thank you!
Rob_

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Slack like how? Slack side to side? Play in the wheel?
What rack do you have? You replaced the bushings that hold the rack?

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

The slack I have is when turning the steering wheel just slightly, say within a 3/8 area the front wheels don't move. Putting the car on stands and a person in the car turning the steering wheel with in that small area, I can clearly see the steering shaft turning down to the rack but no front wheel movement. All the bushing have been replaced. I've replaced the rack a couple of times and there seems to be a little slop in all of them so far. Everything from the steering wheel down to the input shaft of the rack has been replaced and is tight. Just looking for someone who has adjusted the rack and pinion, pinion preload to take up that last been of slack. Thanks!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member

double post.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Here's a link with a somewhat of a diagram. https://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...n-preload.html

I'm using a Cardone 22-2000 reman rack for an '03/'04 Cobra in my '95 and has a decent enough feel. It comes with thicker torsion bars allegedly. It has a better feel that the oem reman rack that was put in my dad's '97.

Last edited by 90lxwhite; 07-15-2019 at 03:59 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank you 90lxwhite
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
Thank you 90lxwhite
You’re welcome. Let me know if it works. I might play with mine a little.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Hey 90lxwhite, I made an initial adjustment and there is an improvement. It seems to have added a little more resistance to movement as well as taken up a Little slack in the steering. Both of which I like. Doing more reading I think what I am interpreting as slack is the t-bar or torsion bar that connects the 2 parts of the pinion. 03-04 cobra have thicker t-bars and have a better connection to road feel. It's more complicated than I thought. I marked the original position of the adjustment nut just in case. The adjustment was under a quarter turn and leaving it for now.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
Hey 90lxwhite, I made an initial adjustment and there is an improvement. It seems to have added a little more resistance to movement as well as taken up a Little slack in the steering. Both of which I like. Doing more reading I think what I am interpreting as slack is the t-bar or torsion bar that connects the 2 parts of the pinion. 03-04 cobra have thicker t-bars and have a better connection to road feel. It's more complicated than I thought. I marked the original position of the adjustment nut just in case. The adjustment was under a quarter turn and leaving it for now.
Just sloppy ole school mustang huh? Try the cardone cobra reman, it’s alright. Don’t expect Porsche precision or anything like that but it’s an improvement. It’s a sportier feel anyway. I did one along with urethane rack bushings and I dig it. Give them what you have now for the core. They won’t know it’s not the same.
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...utm_source=amp

What do you think of the MaxMotor steering shaft? 4 out of 5 stars?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page