• 1 Post By rehoward
  • 1 Post By imps
  • 1 Post By 90lxwhite
  • 1 Post By 90lxwhite

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Stainless Steel Headers

Does anyone have experience with these headers? See attached.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SS Headers.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	288.4 KB
ID:	611023  
imps likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

How should we know, it doesn't say what brand?

In general, shorty headers take your money, look pretty until they get hot, make unpleasant noises due to being thinner than cast iron, eventually prove to be much less stainless than advertised, and add zero power.

130 total pounds of Pitbull ruled by 8 pounds of cat.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019
BOSS Member

Unless it is for racing purposes, in all reality, there are littledifferences in overall performance between shorties (Tri-Y), mid-length &long tube headers.....shorties actually perform excellent up to about 5500 rpmand then will have a slight drop until 6k rpm when it begins to reallydecline.....more than enough for street use and much better than oem manifolds.

Ingeneral, the head plate should be at least 3/8" (1/2" is best), tubingshould be at least 16 gauge (14 is best).....otherwise leaks and burn-thoughare going to be a problem as well as the longetivity of the headers.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehoward View Post
Does anyone have experience with these headers? See attached.
Find you a wrecked 5.0HO in a Mustang from about 1989 through 1993, they came from Ford Factory, they are heavy, and they last forever. '94-'95 probably ought to fit, but may have slight differences due to the SN-95 chassis differences.
Beechkid likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imps View Post
Find you a wrecked 5.0HO in a Mustang from about 1989 through 1993, they came from Ford Factory, they are heavy, and they last forever. '94-'95 probably ought to fit, but may have slight differences due to the SN-95 chassis differences.
94/95's have a funky egr tube attached to one header so you'd have to block off the hole where it attaches.
imps likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Mr. Howard
What kind of project are you working on? What's the end goal? Street/strip car? Race car? Whatcha workin' on man?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lxwhite View Post
Mr. Howard
What kind of project are you working on? What's the end goal? Street/strip car? Race car? Whatcha workin' on man?
Hi Mike,

Got you confused didn't I? One day its headers and the next a belt driven supercharger. What am I working on anyway??

I have two projects going. The current active one is to restore my 1989 5.0 LX convertible. It needs lots of TLC: new top, carpet, upholstery kit, engine, trans and lots of engine compartment detailing. I am pulling out the AOD trans and am replacing it with a T5. I have a new (used) engine, the T5 and pedal assembly so I will be left with the AOD and older 5.0 engine. This will be a daily driver and only mildly warmed over. Which brings me to project #2.

#2 is a ways down the road but I would like to build a Rat Rod/Hot Rod using the old 5.0 and AOD trans. So I am actively buying cheap wrecking yard parts for that build. I still need an old truck body, rear axle (Mustang 8.8") and a Mustang II front suspension complete. I will build a frame using rectangular box tubing.

So now you know why I am all over the place with the posts I submit. Clear as mud to me!

Randy
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Quote:
Mr. Howard
Hi Mike,

Got you confused didn't I? One day its headers and the next a belt driven supercharger. What am I working on anyway??

I have two projects going. The current active one is to restore my 1989 5.0 LX convertible. It needs lots of TLC: new top, carpet, upholstery kit, engine, trans and lots of engine compartment detailing. I am pulling out the AOD trans and am replacing it with a T5. I have a new (used) engine, the T5 and pedal assembly so I will be left with the AOD and older 5.0 engine. This will be a daily driver and only mildly warmed over. Which brings me to project #2.

#2 is a ways down the road but I would like to build a Rat Rod/Hot Rod using the old 5.0 and AOD trans. So I am actively buying cheap wrecking yard parts for that build. I still need an old truck body, rear axle (Mustang 8.8") and a Mustang II front suspension complete. I will build a frame using rectangular box tubing.

So now you know why I am all over the place with the posts I submit. Clear as mud to me!

Randy
Cool man.
Are there still any Mustang II’s that hadn’t been crushed and that still has the front suspension?
imps likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Cool man.
Are there still any Mustang IIís that hadnít been crushed and that still has the front suspension?
Haven't found one yet :-) Certain years of Pinto and Mercury Bobcat are the same as well. They're all crushed too.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Quote:
Cool man.
Are there still any Mustang II’s that hadn’t been crushed and that still has the front suspension?
Haven't found one yet 🙂 Certain years of Pinto and Mercury Bobcat are the same as well. They're all crushed too.
I see that there are all kinds of Mustang II tyle front end kits on the aftermarket. Do the aftermarket prices kill the beauty of the Mustang ii front end? As in, the beauty of the ii’s Front end was that it was decent and could one could buy cheap used ones?
What was/is the good thing about their front ends? That they’re coil overs? Do they still remain supreme, or were they just a modern marvel for the time?
There are lots of options out there these days as long as money is no object.
https://www.maximummotorsports.com/K...tang-P352.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page