• 1 Post By 90lxwhite
  • 1 Post By 90lxwhite
  • 1 Post By Beechkid
  • 1 Post By Beechkid

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Dirty Throttle Bodies

Has anyone ever had an idle issue that was fixed simply by cleaning the throttle body?
I was talking to a tuner and he told me that a dirty throttle body can cause an engine to stall once it’s warm. I guess I see the theory behind it, restricting the airflow when closed. But goodness, how dirty are we talkin’? I dunno seems like it’d have to look like a used charcoal grill before it would choke the motor down.
Google says it’s plausible. Google also says not to clean them for risk of damaging the non-stick surface. If the non-stick was working it seems like you wouldn’t be cleaning it anyway.. Google also says something like, “a greasy film can cause turbulence and yada yada.” Dirty TB’s every give y’all the fits?
I found this nifty little device but I can’t find a vendor. I think it’s wholesale only.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x8C_qtxdnOc

imps likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lxwhite View Post
Has anyone ever had an idle issue that was fixed simply by cleaning the throttle body?
I was talking to a tuner and he told me that a dirty throttle body can cause an engine to stall once its warm. I guess I see the theory behind it, restricting the airflow when closed. But goodness, how dirty are we talkin? I dunno seems like itd have to look like a used charcoal grill before it would choke the motor down.
Google says its plausible. Google also says not to clean them for risk of damaging the non-stick surface. If the non-stick was working it seems like you wouldnt be cleaning it anyway.. Google also says something like, a greasy film can cause turbulence and yada yada. Dirty TBs every give yall the fits?
I found this nifty little device but I cant find a vendor. I think its wholesale only.
Three things come to mind here: two involve the type of TB, the third a factory-applied coating Ford recommends NOT be cleaned; that I cannot attribute to which kind of TB it applies to.

Cable-operated TB always closes down to a fixed stop, never tightly shut, though, to prevent jamming shut. Buildup of carbon there affects air flow which normally passes through the clearance, regardless of PCM positioning of the IAC (or ISC). So, yeah, I've cleaned them, seen improvement.

Drive by Wire imposes some other considerations. With DBW, the plate is always held open a few degrees while at rest, with KEY OFF, held in position by a counter-spring opposing the main closing spring, against a physical stop. KEY ON immediately CLOSES the plate tight shut, the TPS output is compared to the number expected, if passes, plate immediately returns back open against that stop. This always-performed test upon turning KEY ON is to prevent unexpected TPS failure from causing a runaway, as some imports did in early 2000s. The test is fast, done before the key hits START. If the test FAILS, brother, ya got trouble; initially, usually, a "Forced Engine Idle" code, or worse.

So, with DBW, carbon buildup may prevent expected movement of the TP to some extent during the test. How much this can affect operation, I dunno; Ford likely compensated for buildup, the plate moves less distance during the test, but TPS still gives suitable answer for movement. Maybe. Mine is recommended "Do Not Clean".

Guess you know how/why I learned all this **** about DBW, right?

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imps View Post
Quote:
I was talking to a tuner and he told me that a dirty throttle body can cause an engine to stall once it’s warm. I guess I see the theory behind it, restricting the airflow when closed. But goodness, how dirty are we talkin’? I dunno seems like it’d have to look like a used charcoal grill before it would choke the motor down.
Google says it’s plausible. Google also says not to clean them for risk of damaging the non-stick surface. If the non-stick was working it seems like you wouldn’t be cleaning it anyway.. Google also says something like, “a greasy film can cause turbulence and yada yada.” Dirty TB’s every give y’all the fits?
I found this nifty little device but I can’t find a vendor. I think it’s wholesale only.
Three things come to mind here: two involve the type of TB, the third a factory-applied coating Ford recommends NOT be cleaned; that I cannot attribute to which kind of TB it applies to.

Cable-operated TB always closes down to a fixed stop, never tightly shut, though, to prevent jamming shut. Buildup of carbon there affects air flow which normally passes through the clearance, regardless of PCM positioning of the IAC (or ISC). So, yeah, I've cleaned them, seen improvement.

Drive by Wire imposes some other considerations. With DBW, the plate is always held open a few degrees while at rest, with KEY OFF, held in position by a counter-spring opposing the main closing spring, against a physical stop. KEY ON immediately CLOSES the plate tight shut, the TPS output is compared to the number expected, if passes, plate immediately returns back open against that stop. This always-performed test upon turning KEY ON is to prevent unexpected TPS failure from causing a runaway, as some imports did in early 2000s. The test is fast, done before the key hits START. If the test FAILS, brother, ya got trouble; initially, usually, a "Forced Engine Idle" code, or worse.

So, with DBW, carbon buildup may prevent expected movement of the TP to some extent during the test. How much this can affect operation, I dunno; Ford likely compensated for buildup, the plate moves less distance during the test, but TPS still gives suitable answer for movement. Maybe. Mine is recommended "Do Not Clean".

Guess you know how/why I learned all this **** about DBW, right? [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/AllFordMustangs-vbtoucan/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG]
You had a drive by wire give you a hard time aye?
imps likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
BOSS Member

Quote:
I was talking to a tuner and he told me that a dirty throttle body can cause an engine to stall once its warm. I guess I see the theory behind it, restricting the airflow when closed. But goodness, how dirty are we talkin? I dunno seems like itd have to look like a used charcoal grill before it would choke the motor down.
Google says its plausible. Google also says not to clean them for risk of damaging the non-stick surface. If the non-stick was working it seems like you wouldnt be cleaning it anyway.. Google also says something like, a greasy film can cause turbulence and yada yada. Dirty TBs every give yall the fits?
I found this nifty little device but I cant find a vendor. I think its wholesale only.
In short.....no.....but then again I use BG TB cleaner annually....and have since 1997..... and still no TB failures
imps likes this.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post
Quote:
In short...…..no.....but then again I use BG TB cleaner annually....and have since 1997...……….. and still no TB failures
It was running excessively rich for a period. Fuel wasn’t returning to the tank subsequently causing unbuned fuel to go through the intake mani resulting in black smoke. I’m assuming that the manifold is probably fairly sooty. Would/could the smoke plume work it’s way towards the TB? Maybe I guess.
Are yours very dirty when you clean them?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
BOSS Member

Quote:
It was running excessively rich for a period. Fuel wasnt returning to the tank subsequently causing unbuned fuel to go through the intake mani resulting in black smoke. Im assuming that the manifold is probably fairly sooty. Would/could the smoke plume work its way towards the TB? Maybe I guess.
Are yours very dirty when you clean them?
No, as a matter of fact when I changed out the wife's intake manifold a couple of years ago....17 years of driving, they were as close to spotless as one could get..... but I will add this....defective PCV valves could push excessive oil into the intake causing this as well.
imps likes this.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II

Last edited by Beechkid; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:10 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I cleaned mine. It might’ve ran a little better but maybe it was placebo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page