Thoughts on remanned ECU's. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019 Thread Starter
PONY Member
2.3L Member

Cool Thoughts on remanned ECU's.

My computer is bad. I suspect the culprit is leaking capacitors on the circuit board. They can be replaced/repaired for about $100 but that leaves the 30 year old circuit board and it's aging components.
Now for $160 I can get this AZ remanned unit. Probably not the highest quality but the price is right! Anyone have any experience with remanned ECU's? Any known issues?

https://www.autozone.com/engine-mana...0492_6207_1277

'93 5.0 LX ragtop - Donor car for '54 Ford Customline
'89 LX ragtop with turbo'd TC motor - Thunderstang!
'86 Turbo Coupe (daily driver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evintho View Post
My computer is bad. I suspect the culprit is leaking capacitors on the circuit board. They can be replaced/repaired for about $100 but that leaves the 30 year old circuit board and it's aging components.
Now for $160 I can get this AZ remanned unit. Probably not the highest quality but the price is right! Anyone have any experience with remanned ECU's? Any known issues?

https://www.autozone.com/engine-mana...0492_6207_1277
I didn’t see any description where it says what’s all been replaced. A lot of times they only replace what’s bad on the core and sell it as remanufactured. So you might end up with a 30 year old circuit board with new capacitors anyway.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019
GT Member

Ive got one I bought from Oreillys about 3 years ago.No trouble so far.I do believe thats all they replace is only the bad components. Most likely the caps,signal return trace repair and an occasional power transistor.These are the main problems Ive seen occur,but you do bring up a valid point about the remaining components being the original....
You could always attempt to replace the caps yourself before either sending yours out for repair or buying one already repaired.The caps are only a few bucks.If the signal return trace is damaged,you can verify that by running codes and having them present for the evp,bp,ect,act & tps.If codes for these sensors are present,the signal return is open on the board and it can be repaired by soldering a piece of 32ga wire across the damaged trace.If a transistor is bad,it either triggers the cel to stay lit solid when running codes or codes wont be flashed at all,regardless of which connection method you use with the jumper wire.A member on another site had his caps replaced for a continuous fuel pump running condition,but other issues were apparently present because the ecu still didnt function correctly after the repair.Maybe the repair guy put the caps in with the polarity reversed,who knows.Regardless of whether you buy a reman unit or send yours out for repair,the same things are gonna be done.Caps,trace and transistor.If something is damaged beyond that,they'll likely just send yours back to you and state it cant be repaired.

1991 Mustang lx
D.S.S. 342ci {10.5:1}
TFS 190cc + track heat
Lunati 61011 .549".565"
Pro-M 76mm maf
Jetronic 30lb inj
QA1 Coilovers
17" Weld ProStar XP's

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to guntek18
Slightly different but,

my Chrysler 300c srt8 , gave me the fits with a bad ecu...
Never knew a car could be possesd by the devil like that...

I turned to SOLO PCMs (out of florida ) $300 / lifetime warranty....seems like alot but my car was a p.o.s. without it.

Totally dependable, every since.

how often are you always right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page