Disconnecting battery for winter storage - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howelldaddy View Post
I have been using Battery Tenders for 32 years, and I have never had an issue with any of them. I am using 3 at the present time. I have found that i get a lot longer battery life with them. The last battery i had to replace was 11 years old.
This is my experience too.

My Harley and a soft top Lotus, would be stored for months with the tender on them - I would put blocks under the wind-shield wipers, old rag in the exhaust and intake, car cover and disconnect the ignition coil - when it was time to start it after many months I'd crank it for a while to get the oil circulating, then reconnect the ignition and allow it to start.

Both the Harley and Lotus have alarms, so sized the Battery Tender one amp higher that that draw.

2015 V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post
One of the things that I have when I work on my modern cars and that would definitely be safe and work on yours as well is a "Memory Saver" which uses a small 9v battery that connects to the cig lighter and keeps the ECM, alarm systems alive to maintain memory.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's a good, and bad idea. What you are doing by applying voltage to the system via the cigar lighter is placing that voltage on each and every fuse which is always "hot"......as well as the disconnected battery terminals. If you happen to work on any part of the vehicle's systems thus having voltage present, you might have some problems. One of the worst would be deployment of an airbag, which is possible because they are "fired" by discharging a big capacitor; the capacity of your memory saver would not likely be adequate to do that, but it WILL charge up those capacitors..

Beechkid likes this.
OX1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howelldaddy View Post
I have been using Battery Tenders for 32 years, and I have never had an issue with any of them. I am using 3 at the present time. I have found that i get a lot longer battery life with them. The last battery i had to replace was 11 years old.
Same here. Get minimum of 7 years on batteries of vehicles that don't get used a lot (my first set of diesel
truck batteries lasted 10 years and I only replaced them as I started to worry someday, they would go).

I have about 12 of those 1.5 amp trickle chargers (cars, trucks, lawn tractor, bobcat, trailers, etc...).
They stop working here and there, but no other issue.

Rookie

This winter will be about 10 or so seasons of storage. It will be the first time with a battery tender. The reason I bought one is I am tired of messing with batteries. To the suggestion of driving, this is a good idea and more to the point of my post. This year the car would not start. Long story short, it was a fuel pump. After some research, I notice there are a lot of fuel pump failures from sitting cars. They were working when I shut them off kind of story. So after I replaced it, I did a postmortem on the pump. I was expecting the failure to be from the commutator being corroded. What I found was the brushes stuck inside their guide housing. So here is my working theory, a car where a pump is being used is vibrating enough to keep the brushes loose, and if allowed to sit will then shellacked in place. Not sure if that is a word, but you get the picture. I included a picture showing the height difference between a stuck brush and a brush that I have set free. The scares on the freed one are from grabbing it with pliers. After freeing the other, I kind of stuck the pump back together and it did spin up. So once they are stuck and wear past contact, then you lose functionality. I would suspect driving one would help prevent this from happening.

Another side note, I was surprised to see the pumps armature is also the pumps impeller. Does not seem like a good idea to run fuel over the brushes, but I guess I have never heard of a gas tank blowing up because of the pump.

ONEZ ST likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page