Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Travis98146
  • 1 Post By Zabby
  • 1 Post By Zabby

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

EEC draining battery

Hello. Iím a newbie to the sight and need some help. I just purchase an 89 gt convertible that Iím planning on turning into a Resto mod. Iím first trying to take care of some what I thought were minor issues. My stang had some parasitic draws on the battery. One was the voltage regulator and /or alternator. I was planning on upgrading anyway. The other that I found was a corroded door switch on the driver side. I still have one more that I canít seem to isolate. Here is what I know. All lights disconnected and key removed from ignition. Dash and cluster removed. Iím getting a 4.5 amp draw on unfused wire going to eec from the hot side of the solenoid. When I unplug the eec , the draw goes away. When I bought the car it ran great. I donít know if itís the eec or something down the line connected to it. Iíve unplugged everything (I think) connected to the eec. I did remove the eec and look inside for obvious burnt components and none were found. Any help will be appreciated thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

Garage
Your onboard computer wouldn't have that much current draw. You'll probably have to dig out a wiring diagram to make sure you have everything unplugged. Worst case, you have a chafed wire somewhere. Back probing the harness connector might give you some idea of the circuit in question.

Krem12 and Beechkid like this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Global Moderator
Mustang II Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to heavy metal
Welcome to the site!! I moved your thread to the correct forum for better results.

Cherish those around you,for at the blink
of an eye,they can be gone.

AFM GLOBAL MODERATOR

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the help. To narrow down the problem. Does anyone know what items have power through the eec when the car is off. I have a schematic of the wiring for the car but it shows the computer as solid state. I see everything that’s connected to the eec but most things are powered when the key is on. Thanks again for the help.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

Garage
Through the EEC? I dont believe anything. Only thing in the EEC powered that im aware of is the KAM. Everything else kept alive with key off are run through separate circuits.

90 LX 5.0 5spd
14į of initial timing on 93 octane
Ported 93 Cobra Intake Manifold -- BBK 75mm TB
FRPP shorties -- BBK O/R X
Spintech Prostreets -- 2.5in Flowmaster Tails
Hurst Billet Plus Shifter -- BBK CAI
FRPP 3.73s -- Walbro 190lph
3G alt -- Contour Fans -- '92 Premium Radio w/ EQ
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks Krem12. Forgive me but what is KAM? Also. If nothing is powered through the eec when the car is not running and key out then wouldn’t the conclusion be a bad eec if it’s drawing 41/2 amps. Thanks.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabby View Post
Thanks Krem12. Forgive me but what is KAM? Also. If nothing is powered through the eec when the car is not running and key out then wouldnít the conclusion be a bad eec if itís drawing 41/2 amps. Thanks.
Keep alive memory. It stores your fuel trims from closed loop control. Do you know what pin on the ecu this amp draw is at? Pin 1 is the pin that always has 12v and is for KAM.

90 LX 5.0 5spd
14į of initial timing on 93 octane
Ported 93 Cobra Intake Manifold -- BBK 75mm TB
FRPP shorties -- BBK O/R X
Spintech Prostreets -- 2.5in Flowmaster Tails
Hurst Billet Plus Shifter -- BBK CAI
FRPP 3.73s -- Walbro 190lph
3G alt -- Contour Fans -- '92 Premium Radio w/ EQ
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Ok. Thanks for clarifying. I did power up the eec while it was out of the car using pin 1 and 20. 1 being hot. It did read 4.5 amps at first then reduced to I think around .2. I donít know of a way to test what wire is drawing the amps without cutting, testing then splicing back together. I hunk if I did that it may cause more issues in the future. Thanks
Krem12 likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

I still can’t find the drain. Anybody have any ideas. Thanks
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Are you waking up to a dead battery every morning?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Yes. Iíve traced it to the eec. It draws 4.5 amps when car is off and key is removed. What I donít know is does the eec power anything when the car is off or do I have a bad eec. Thanks
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Boy do I feel dumb

Well. I found the problem. It was me. I had the meter on the wrong setting. Itís a new meter and Iím not use to it yet. I had it on micro amps. So once I figured that out I hooked everything back up and it all good. Thanks to everyone that tried to help. Hopefully someday I can return the favor. Thanks
Krem12 likes this.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabby View Post
Well. I found the problem. It was me. I had the meter on the wrong setting. It’s a new meter and I’m not use to it yet. I had it on micro amps. So once I figured that out I hooked everything back up and it all good. Thanks to everyone that tried to help. Hopefully someday I can return the favor. Thanks
Good deal. So... Uhh.. You weren’t waking up to a dead battery every morning after you replaced the battery, etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page