Ford Mustang Forum banner

EEC draining battery

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  145566 
#1 ·
Hello. I’m a newbie to the sight and need some help. I just purchase an 89 gt convertible that I’m planning on turning into a Resto mod. I’m first trying to take care of some what I thought were minor issues. My stang had some parasitic draws on the battery. One was the voltage regulator and /or alternator. I was planning on upgrading anyway. The other that I found was a corroded door switch on the driver side. I still have one more that I can’t seem to isolate. Here is what I know. All lights disconnected and key removed from ignition. Dash and cluster removed. I’m getting a 4.5 amp draw on unfused wire going to eec from the hot side of the solenoid. When I unplug the eec , the draw goes away. When I bought the car it ran great. I don’t know if it’s the eec or something down the line connected to it. I’ve unplugged everything (I think) connected to the eec. I did remove the eec and look inside for obvious burnt components and none were found. Any help will be appreciated thanks.

#4 ·
Thanks for the help. To narrow down the problem. Does anyone know what items have power through the eec when the car is off. I have a schematic of the wiring for the car but it shows the computer as solid state. I see everything that’s connected to the eec but most things are powered when the key is on. Thanks again for the help.

#5 ·
Through the EEC? I dont believe anything. Only thing in the EEC powered that im aware of is the KAM. Everything else kept alive with key off are run through separate circuits.

#7 ·
Keep alive memory. It stores your fuel trims from closed loop control. Do you know what pin on the ecu this amp draw is at? Pin 1 is the pin that always has 12v and is for KAM.

#8 ·
Ok. Thanks for clarifying. I did power up the eec while it was out of the car using pin 1 and 20. 1 being hot. It did read 4.5 amps at first then reduced to I think around .2. I don’t know of a way to test what wire is drawing the amps without cutting, testing then splicing back together. I hunk if I did that it may cause more issues in the future. Thanks

#12 ·
Boy do I feel dumb

Well. I found the problem. It was me. I had the meter on the wrong setting. It’s a new meter and I’m not use to it yet. I had it on micro amps. So once I figured that out I hooked everything back up and it all good. Thanks to everyone that tried to help. Hopefully someday I can return the favor. Thanks

#13 ·
Well. I found the problem. It was me. I had the meter on the wrong setting. It’s a new meter and I’m not use to it yet. I had it on micro amps. So once I figured that out I hooked everything back up and it all good. Thanks to everyone that tried to help. Hopefully someday I can return the favor. Thanks
Good deal. So... Uhh.. You weren’t waking up to a dead battery every morning after you replaced the battery, etc?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.