1990 no spark - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By wbrockstar
  • 1 Post By wbrockstar

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 1 Day Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

1990 no spark

Hey everyone I have a problem with a spark issue on my 1990 gt motor was swapped out of an Ford Explorer 302 5.0 ho car currently has very light spark for a split second to no spark at all really need help figuring this out so far I’ve replaced the rotor, cap and ignition coil thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 1 Day Ago
GT Member

Open the following link,scroll down to post 4 & start testing.Its Jrichkers (the Mustang guru @ Stangnet) No Start checklist & it'll give you a step by step approach to figuring out what the culprit is.Never start throwing parts at a problem until after youve tested that part to verify its not functioning,then you can buy new parts like the coil.A good place to start would've been to put a test light or multimeter across the coil harness plug to see if youre getting voltage there first.Afterall,there are other parts that require testing which come before the coil like the wiring,fusible link & ignition switch.
The tfi & pip sensor are usually the parts that go first on the foxbody vs the coil.If the pip sensor is bad,you wont get a pip sensor pulse.Speaking of which,if the pip sensor is weak,the engine will *sometimes* start and run if you remove the spout plug from the tfi harness before attempting a startup.Not always,but sometimes.If it doesn't start,plug the spout back in.When the pip sensor is working,its pulse will flash a noid light during crank mode,when plugged in to a injector harness plug.

https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...f-coil.736759/

my89foxbody and imps like this.

91 LX 342ci (10.5:1)
TFS 190cc (stage ll)
GT40 (tubular) intake
Lunati 61011(.549"/.565")
QA1 Coilovers
Weld ProStar XP's

Last edited by wbrockstar; 21 Hours Ago at 02:07 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 1 Day Ago
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrockstar View Post
Open the following link,scroll down to post #4 & start testing.Its Jrichkers (Stangnet) No Start checklist & it'll give you a step by step approach to figuring out what the culprit is.
Never start throwing parts at a problem until after youve tested that part to verify its not functioning,then you can buy the part.Like the coil.I would've started by using a test light across the coil harness plug to see if youre getting voltage there first.The tfi or pip are usually the ones to go on the foxbody. You wont get a pip sensor pulse if its not working.This pulse will flash a noid light when plugged in to a injector harness plug during crank mode or the test can be done by rotating the distributor left-right-left and watching for spark.(mark rotor position on cap with marker before moving the distributor though,so you can set the timing back at the same spot after testing.

https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...f-coil.736759/
Note he said it came out of a 5.0 Explorer. They had no distributor. So, we need to know what we have here.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 23 Hours Ago
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imps View Post
Note he said it came out of a 5.0 Explorer. They had no distributor. So, we need to know what we have here.

You are correct about it being a Explorer engine,which comes oem with a different type of ignition system,but he also stated he had replaced the cap,rotor and coil already, which verifies he had already converted the ignition from the DIS (distributorless ignition system) to the tfi system with a distributor,tfi module and coil.Therefore,the No Spark trouble shooting link I posted is still valid for his engine & his issues......
imps likes this.

TFS 190cc (stage ll)
GT40 (tubular) intake
QA1 Coilovers
Weld ProStar XP's
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12 Hours Ago
Apprentice

Quote:
You are correct about it being a Explorer engine,which comes oem with a different type of ignition system,but he also stated he had replaced the cap,rotor and coil already, which verifies he had already converted the ignition from the DIS (distributorless ignition system) to the tfi system with a distributor,tfi module and coil.Therefore,the No Spark trouble shooting link I posted is still valid for his engine & his issues......
I agree that's possible, but seems rather unlikely. Maybe I'm wrong.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10 Hours Ago
GT Member

Quote:
I agree that's possible, but seems rather unlikely.Maybe I'm wrong
What seems rather unlikely?? Its impossible to install a cap & rotor on a camshaft position synchronizer,which is what the part is called thats installed in the block hole on a Explorer 302HO,which takes the place of the distributor in a 302HO.So why would the op replace the cap/rotor and the coil if the engine he's got had a camshaft position synchronizer & coil packs in it??
Anytime someone buys an Explorer engine to install in a Foxbody,the first things they do is swap the ignition parts,cam,accessories, etc so it'll work in a Foxbody or SN95.I believe the timing cover and front accessories are the same between a SN95 (94-95) and a Explorer?? A few of the reasons why buyers choose these engines,are availability,the gt40 top end and they were less abused than the typical 302HO.

TFS 190cc (stage ll)
GT40 (tubular) intake
QA1 Coilovers
Weld ProStar XP's
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 4 Hours Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302fixer View Post
so far I’ve replaced the rotor, cap and ignition coil thanks in advance
Quote:
Quote:
You are correct about it being a Explorer engine,which comes oem with a different type of ignition system,but he also stated he had replaced the cap,rotor and coil already, which verifies he had already converted the ignition from the DIS (distributorless ignition system) to the tfi system with a distributor,tfi module and coil.Therefore,the No Spark trouble shooting link I posted is still valid for his engine & his i....
I agree that's possible, but seems rather unlikely. Maybe I'm wrong.
Dude, he has a distributor.
It’s arguing for the sake of an argument at this point.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 47 Minutes Ago
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lxwhite View Post
Dude, he has a distributor.
Itís arguing for the sake of an argument at this point.

TFS 190cc (stage ll)
GT40 (tubular) intake
QA1 Coilovers
Weld ProStar XP's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in