Ford Mustang Forum banner

Rack & Pinion 1993

4K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  145566 
#1 ·
Greetings, I put a reman rack on my 93 last May that I got from Advance Auto, I changed the oil last week and noticed both bellows/boots are torn and leaking, I've only put 2000k on the car. I don't want another from A1 Cardone, any suggestions on a decent rack under $400? I'm planning to take this one back to Advance Auto for a refund. I would go with a manual rack but considering the car is unmolested with 103k I kinda hate to. Thanks

#2 ·
There’s not a whole lot of options really. You’ve got a couple of companies making the manuals and then there’s the reman’s. Google on the cardone 22-2000. It’s the reman for the ‘03/‘04 Cobra. It’ll work with the fox but I believe it requires different rod ends. But as far as new non reman, I don’t think there’s much out there.
*edit*
I found these and it says new.
https://m.buyautoparts.com/buynow/1...MI35Cj8deg5QIVksDACh0PAAvSEAQYASABEgJxR_D_BwE

#4 ·
You want the 15:1 quick ratio 2.5 turns to lock rack. I forgot about these guys AGR.
https://www.agrperformance.com/product/mustang-rack-and-pinion-80-93-151-ford-mustang-agr-steering
But I think they might be overpriced for what they are. I’ve had good luck thus far with my reman 03/04 cobra rack. However it seems like they discontinued it because availability is low. Cardone 22-2000 is the one. I’ve seen other racks listed for the 03 cobra but they were three turns to lock. Which means it doesn’t have cobra specs.
Bang for buck the reman cobra wins if it holds up, but it might be a crap shoot. You could give the parts store your old one as the core. Go to a different store. I handed the parts store my old nasty GT rack for the core, they can’t tell the difference, and probably don’t want to know. The cobra rack has bigger torsion bars in it. That’s it’s deal. 15:1 and 2.5 turns. Some might call it “sport” others maybe “quick ratio.”
https://www.google.com/amp/s/forums...-agr-high-performance-rack-foxbody.html?amp=1

#6 ·
The “quick ratio” was stock for the V8’s. The 4cyl racks are the 3 turn “non quick ratio.” The rack that latemodel is selling isn’t all that good of a deal. It’s the same reman rack that parts stores sell but they’re selling it with the tie rods and bushings. Price another ream rack, bushings, and tie rods separate elsewhere and see if you can find it cheaper. You could probably get urethane bushings and rack for the same or cheaper.

#7 ·
If he's got a Foxbody,the Cobra rack,& any other SN95 rack,requires a different steering shaft in order to run one in a Foxbody.Primary reason is the Foxbody rack has a pinion shaft with splines on it,where the steering shaft connects to the rack.The 94-04 (Cobra included) SN95 racks have a pinion shaft with no splines and a triangular shape.Therefore if one tries connecting the triangular Cobra pinion shaft to the splined Foxbody steering shaft,it wont connect. Foxbody tierods also have to be swapped onto a Cobra rack,otherwise they'll be too long.MM (Maximum Motorsports) sells the appropriate shaft to make the swap fit,but its pricey.So unless you were planning to upgrade to a better steering shaft,the Cobra or other SN95 rack will be out of the question.For some reason I was thinking just the coupler itself,that fits in place of the Foxbody shaft's rag joint,could be purchased to make a Cobra rack connect to a Foxbody steering shaft,but I guess I was mistaken cause I dont see that part available on MM's site,unless it was a different company where I thought I had seen it??I'll have to do some research on that now and post after awhile with my results.Until then,good luck.

https://www.maximummotorsports.com/...Power-Steering-Rack-1979-93-Mustang-P461.aspx

#8 ·
I'm leaning toward the AGR rack which should bolt up without mods or anything new that will keep the car as stock as possible.. I'm a bit skeptical of the remanufactured racks especially Cardone, the boots are made cheaply in my opinion or I got one from a bad run, the side that's not leaking has splits throughout the boot, I'd expect the boots to last a bit longer than 17 months as well as the seals

#10 ·
Looks like Cardone is manufacturing new steering racks, so that might be worth looking into. But yes, the reman'd ones are a crapshoot. I put a Cardone reman unit in my '65 GR350, and it immediately started squeaking. I swear, they only put boots and seals on it and gave it a paint job and did nothing else. At least with new parts, they wouldn't come pre-worn out.

I've read some reviews on Summit that the quality of AGR racks aren't that great either Maybe it's just a batch of improperly assembled racks?

Are there any actual good steering racks out there?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.