Still having running issues with my '93. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
PONY Member
2.3L Member

Cool Still having running issues with my '93.

Start car in the morning. Fires up, runs at higher idle for 30 seconds then drops down to 850 rpm or so. Idles fine for exactly 3 minutes then dies. Fire it back up and it idles low and rough. CEL comes on then goes off periodically. Let it warm up then take it for a ride. Runs like crap until the temp gauge reaches the halfway point then it runs pretty good, until I get to a stoplight. At that point, it idles low and rough. If I slip it into neutral the idle smooths out until I put it in Drive again. Sometimes it runs fine, other times like crap! I've replaced the IAC, MAF, fuel pump, fuel pump relay, cleaned and tightened both 10 pin connectors and also replace the ECU with a remanned unit.
Pulled codes:
CM:
66 - MAF below minimum voltage
87 - Fuel pump primary circuit fault
96 - Fuel pump secondary circuit fault

and today for the first time I got a new code
KOEO:
82 - Air diverter solenoid circuit fault

I was very careful installing the new MAF so as not to damage the heating element.
Seems to me if both the primary and secondary fuel pump circuits had a fault, the F/P wouldn't work at all!
I carefully inspected all the TAD vac lines and they seemed good.
I followed this procedure when cleaning the 10-pin connectors:
Fuel Injection Technical Library Ľ 10-pin Connector Fix

I cleaned the 60 pin connector when reinstalling the ECU and ground all the paint away from steel when reinstalling the ECU ground screw.
Can a clogged TAD tube at the back of the engine contribute to the running problem and code 82 or would it be a failed solenoid?
Looking at the wiring diagram for codes 87 & 96 the wiring also runs through the inertia switch. Could that be an issue? All that's left besides that would be the wiring and various connectors.
I have no idea why it's still throwing a 66 code unless it's the wiring too. I know the harness is 25 years old but really??
I even took it into a shop I've been frequenting for 20 years and David, a very knowledgeable tech, threw up his hands and couldn't figure it out.
I'm kinda between a rock and a hard place right now. I plan to restore this Mustang but I need to get it running right before I tear into it! Ideas/thoughts/opinions........please!

'93 5.0 LX ragtop - Donor car for '54 Ford Customline
'89 LX ragtop with turbo'd TC motor - Thunderstang!
'86 Turbo Coupe (daily driver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Maybe probe the wires running to the MAF.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page