Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By 90lxwhite
  • 2 Post By evintho
  • 1 Post By Bird76Mojo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Ford TFI module

I was just wondering if anyone out there has ever gutted a burned out TFI module to try to produce a schematic. I have seen some reference to there being a Motorola IC at its heart but I was wondering if it the circuit itself could be reproduced such that components could be replaced as necessary. This module seems to be the Achilles heel of the 5.0 and finding good ones are often difficult. I've heard stories that people have purchased up to 3 or 4 of these before finding a good one. Relocating the module to cooler areas doesn't always guarantee longer life or better performance. It seems that some Chinese electronics are good and others well--- not so much. I've also heard that Motorcraft stamped ones are not always what they appear to be. Any thoughts? Does anyone have a schematic?-Brad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019
PONY Member
2.3L Member

Cool

This is what it looks like inside. I have no idea how the electronics work however, I do know that relocating a TFI away from engine heat does work and definitely extends it's longevity. In addition, every Motorcraft TFI I've ever purchased (several), have been quality pieces.

'93 5.0 LX ragtop - Donor car for '54 Ford Customline
'89 LX ragtop with turbo'd TC motor - Thunderstang!
'86 Turbo Coupe (daily driver)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019
PONY Member
2.3L Member

Link is dead again! Oh well.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evintho View Post
Link is dead again! Oh well.
https://m.imgur.com/AOMSVfp
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad H View Post
I was just wondering if anyone out there has ever gutted a burned out TFI module to try to produce a schematic. I have seen some reference to there being a Motorola IC at its heart but I was wondering if it the circuit itself could be reproduced such that components could be replaced as necessary. This module seems to be the Achilles heel of the 5.0 and finding good ones are often difficult. I've heard stories that people have purchased up to 3 or 4 of these before finding a good one. Relocating the module to cooler areas doesn't always guarantee longer life or better performance. It seems that some Chinese electronics are good and others well--- not so much. I've also heard that Motorcraft stamped ones are not always what they appear to be. Any thoughts? Does anyone have a schematic?-Brad
How many have you gone through? I’m still on the first in my ‘95.
imps likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019
GT Member

Ive had pretty good success,or luck,with Motorcraft tfi modules too.Regardless of which brand you buy,relocating it does seem to help quite a bit.Something Ive always tried to understand,but never could is,why do the factory installed Motorcraft tfi's and pip sensors last so much longer compared to Motorcraft tfi's & pip's that you buy online??Im pretty sure inferior parts are used to manufacture parts store brand tfi's & pip's?? A Motorcraft tfi & pip sold nowadays usually lasts awhile,but Im not sure why they dont last 100k+ miles like the factory installed ones did??

I tell ya something that would be nice.If the pip sensor could be designed so that you could remove/replace it without removing the distributor shaft.If the rotor,
cap adapter and shutter wheel were removed,that would give you a fairly decent amount of room to remove the old one and install the new one.However the distributor shaft passes through the
center portion of the pip sensor,so unless a outer portion of the center could somehow be cut out to allow enough room for the pip sensor to be slid into position horizontally from the side,instead of mounting the pip sensor in the distributor then sliding the distributor shaft through it vertically,it would never work.

1991 Mustang lx
D.S.S. 342ci {10.5:1}
TFS 190cc + track heat
Lunati 61011 .549".565"
Pro-M 76mm maf
Jetronic 30lb inj
QA1 Coilovers
17" Weld ProStar XP's
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lxwhite View Post
Until '93, the TFI was mounted right on the distributor bowl. Failures were more common than Ford liked, so in '94 it was moved to a cooler location, and mounted on an aluminum heatsink, which was secured to the body. That lasted until 1995, after which the TFI went away.

Doesn't help those of us with Fox bodies, though.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imps View Post
Until '93, the TFI was mounted right on the distributor bowl. Failures were more common than Ford liked, so in '94 it was moved to a cooler location, and mounted on an aluminum heatsink, which was secured to the body. That lasted until 1995, after which the TFI went away.

You could always relocate your tfi to a heatsink too.Heatsinks can be salvaged from the following vehicles at your local Pull-A-Part.The writeup in the link is from a Ranger forum,but the process and materials are the same as the Foxbody.
Relocation kits are also available if you dont wanna spend anytime at Pull-A-Part
The kit is $85 @ LMR though.Is a little time at PAP worth you not spending $85?
I would say yes,but some would rather pay the piper.To each his own.

*TFI RELOCATION HEATSINK SOURCES*

1989-1995 Mercury Cougar (3.8)
Heatsink is mounted:
89-93 models= radiator support bracket
94-95 models= front fender apron

1986-1996 Ford Aerostar Vans
Heatsink is mounted:
86-96 models= right front inner fender

1994-1995 Ford Mustang (5.0)
Heatsink is mounted:
94-95 models= passenger fenderwell under the airbox

https://therangerstation.com/tech_li...mote_tfi.shtml

1991 Mustang lx
TFS 190cc + track heat
Lunati 61011 .549".565"
Pro-M 76mm maf
Jetronic 30lb inj
QA1 Coilovers
17" Weld ProStar XP's
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019
PONY Member
2.3L Member

Cool

It's kinda funny. Most of the pics in that 'Rangerstation' write up are photos that I took when I wrote a tech article on TFI relocation for my '89 Mustang a few years back. Someone pirated them off the internet and used them to write their own tech article!
Oh well, you know what they say:
Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery!
tmoss and Urambo Tauro like this.

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imps View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lxwhite View Post

I know it. I had my ‘90 a few years and it did ok as far as the tfi goes.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evintho View Post
It's kinda funny. Most of the pics in that 'Rangerstation' write up are photos that I took when I wrote a tech article on TFI relocation for my '89 Mustang a few years back. Someone pirated them off the internet and used them to write their own tech article!
Oh well, you know what they say:
Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery!

Tell him you're gonna and the next time he does it.JK.

1991 Mustang lx
TFS 190cc + track heat
Lunati 61011 .549".565"
Pro-M 76mm maf
Jetronic 30lb inj
QA1 Coilovers
17" Weld ProStar XP's
Rookie

I gutted a TFI module to make my own connector, so I didn't have to cut in to my Ron Francis EFI harness to relocate the TFI.

I cut the module in half, gutted the electronics, soldered my wires in place on the terminals, put the aluminum plate back in place as well as the plastic cover, and then filled it all with marine epoxy. Worked perfectly, and has many miles on it already. With the TFI relocated just behind the core support on my V8 Ranger, the TFI module now runs so cool you can't tell the temperature difference between it and the outside temperature. Using a point-n-shoot thermometer, the TFI module used to run higher than engine temp (around 250 degrees F) when it was distributor mounted.

I used an old Thunderbird harness I already had to make a custom TFI relocation harness and the SN95 "closed bowl" style of distributor with the 8 pin connector. Plug-n-play now.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail 2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	612063   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail 3.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	612065   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail 1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	612067  
Urambo Tauro likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page