Use 1998 explorer ignition system? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Use 1998 explorer ignition system?

Can I use the 1998 302 Explorer electronic ignition system in new 1989 fox body build?.... What is the main issue ?. (I have the computer and wiring harness for both vehicles). Also, I hate to see that nice 1998 Explorer aluminum oil pan get tossed .... Seems it "won't" fit??? I was going to do a mock up and see?.... I'd like to use as many Explorer parts as will fit but seems like that's not possible.... I know about the heads poor springs. Anyone tried this install???. Got the 4r70w tranny, ect. Mike and Son

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019
GT Member

I believe the Mustang crossmember and the requirement of a dual sump pan & a different oil pickup tube is what prevents the Explorer oil pan from working.As far as running dis and coil packs or cop's,I think wiring modifications,the need for a trigger wheel and some way of tuning the ecu are the difficult parts.The following link is a writeup on MMFF magazine about a ProM dis setup,but this is likely expensive.Speaking of expense.Tuneups are not gonna be cheap when running a cop setup,unless you wanna source those items from Pull-A-Part,but who wants to do a tuneup with used parts??A 2 coil pack setup would be a little cheaper than 8 cop's,but either will be more than the existing setup on the Foxbody.Searching the web will list numerous threads with different ways of doing this conversion.One even had a member talking about making wiring harnesses to do the conversion that he would sell at a reasonable price,but the thread was from a few years back.The cop system does seem to provide a smoother idling and running engine from people who've done it.If I had a stroker with plenty of mods or a super/turbocharged application,the cop conversion would be more of a benefit and would warrant the expense of the system,but Im not sure I would do it for a stock or mild build,unless I could get it done for just a few hundred bucks.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...-sn95-mustangs

1991 Mustang lx
D.S.S. 342ci {10.5:1}
TFS 190cc + track heat
Lunati 61011 .549".565"
Pro-M 76mm maf
Jetronic 30lb inj
QA1 Coilovers
17" Weld ProStar XP's

Last edited by wbrockstar; 11-08-2019 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Added Link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page