Home made smoke machine - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Beechkid
  • 1 Post By Dana W

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Home made smoke machine

After researching smoke machines I am going to build my own. This is a much cheaper solution than a unit made by a "tool company". This unit will be used to test for intake vacuum leaks etc..Most of the units that I have seen on YouTube suggest using baby oil as the smoke medium. Is this safe to use? Could any part of the intake or air metering components by damaged? Maf etc? Thank you in advance.-Brad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019
BOSS Member

Hi brad! Yeah, I was kinda at where you are about 1 year ago and after speaking with the mfg's this is what I put together....

This is the smoke machine I bought....works very well and has a remote control button on it which is very, very handy!!!!! I did have to bend out a sheet metal bracket (tabs) to attach the hose to.....and that's it (I used the 2 screws on the unit that mounts the nozzle for the smoke).... BTW the hose cannot attach directly to the discharge shout because it needs the air to create the smoke...…. ask me how I found that out...GRIN!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is the smoke that was recommended....

Although the mineral spirits does work it leave a film/residue...I was lucky when I called the company and got to speak to a tech who is a "car guy"...they have another division that builds the Pro smoke generators for the "Mechanics"......this "juice' is water based and will leave no residue....and the amount of moisture is so slight, it's no different than driving in the rain!

I used this to chase down vacume leak in wifes car...BTW, since there is no "pump" like the $1k pro units have, you do have to be just a little patient for the smoke to travel & fill...and it will....give 5 minutes or so...I found the tiniest leak you could imagine!

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II

Last edited by Beechkid; 11-25-2019 at 05:58 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Beechkid-Thanks for the reply. The links that you posted appear to be the same. Please repost the one for the smoke solution. Thanks!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad H View Post
Beechkid-Thanks for the reply. The links that you posted appear to be the same. Please repost the one for the smoke solution. Thanks!
The solution looks like it can be found on the same page anyway down at the bottom among the "often bought with" items.

That's a theatrical fog generator. There is another machine on that page for 45 and change that has LEDs for lighting the fog.

130 total pounds of Pitbull ruled by 8 pounds of cat.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad H View Post

Here ya go It's called "Froggys Fog - Bog Fog"

Flatheads ain't so bad!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana W View Post
The solution looks like it can be found on the same page anyway down at the bottom among the "often bought with" items.

That's a theatrical fog generator. There is another machine on that page for 45 and change that has LEDs for lighting the fog.
and does this one put out the smoke too!!!!! The "good thing" (as Martha would say)...stoage is great because it is very compact.....the box with cords, remote, etc is about 6" long x 4" width...and yeah...great duel purpose for Halloween!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dana W likes this.

Flatheads ain't so bad!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post
and does this one put out the smoke too!!!!!
Yeah, but it has LEDs man. What else is needed?
Beechkid likes this.

130 total pounds of Pitbull ruled by 8 pounds of cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page