passenger side O2 sensor removal! - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wbrockstar

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

passenger side O2 sensor removal!

Any hints for removing the O2 sensor on the right (passenger) side? The O2's bolt shoulder is almost touching the transmission case. I don't have an o2 tool, but I do have a nice crowsfoot flare socket that works fine most of the time. Surely you don't have to remove the right side exhaust manifold?

Thanks,
RT

1995 Impala SS. 396 LT4 intake and heads, with GM/Crane 847 Cam. Tri-Y headers. T56 6 speed conversion. 4.56 gears. 58mm TB (Holley) with RAISS intake. Cat delete. OBD2 PCM. Bryan Herter Programming (custom).
1990 Mercury Grand Marquis. Cold air intake. 3G alternator upgrade. Bone stock otherwise...
1974 F-100 with 390 HP (from 66 Fairlane GT).
1991 Ford Mustang LX, 5.0L, Bone Stock
1996 Buick Roadmaster. LT1. Bone Stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemist2 View Post
Any hints for removing the O2 sensor on the right (passenger) side? The O2's bolt shoulder is almost touching the transmission case. I don't have an o2 tool, but I do have a nice crowsfoot flare socket that works fine most of the time. Surely you don't have to remove the right side exhaust manifold?

Thanks,
RT
The O2 socket if you had one will slip over.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I’ll go buy one. You mean the long deep well 7/8 socket with the slit in it? I sure hope the walls are thin. The bolt shoulder is almost touching the tranny case.

1995 Impala SS. 396 LT4 intake and heads, with GM/Crane 847 Cam. Tri-Y headers. T56 6 speed conversion. 4.56 gears. 58mm TB (Holley) with RAISS intake. Cat delete. OBD2 PCM. Bryan Herter Programming (custom).
1990 Mercury Grand Marquis. Cold air intake. 3G alternator upgrade. Bone stock otherwise...
1974 F-100 with 390 HP (from 66 Fairlane GT).
1991 Ford Mustang LX, 5.0L, Bone Stock
1996 Buick Roadmaster. LT1. Bone Stock

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
I’ll go buy one. You mean the long deep well 7/8 socket with the slit in it? I sure hope the walls are thin. The bolt shoulder is almost touching the tranny case.
Yeah that one. If no, try a wrench? The manifold has always stayed in place for me.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019
GT Member

Quote:

Are you removing the o2 sensor for the sole purpose of replacing it or is it for some other reason and your planning to reinstall it afterwards?? If you're doing it to replace the o2 and you were planning to throw the old o2 out,you can simply reach up into the tunnel area where the converter sits and cut the o2 sensor wire pigtail with a pair of cutters.Now you can either slip a box end wrench over the wire bundle & slide it up & onto the o2 sensor nut or you could use a regular deep well socket too,without the slit in it,since you cut the wires close to the o2 sensor body,so that a regular deep well will fit over the wire end of the sensor with the wires cut.You wont be able to use this method when installing the new o2 because the wires will have to be left intact.Theres been a few times where Ive had to pry on the hpipe then wedge something between the pipe & the underside of the car,so enough room could be created for removal of the sensor.If prying wont allow enough room, you may be able to access & loosen the two nuts that attach the hpipe to the manifold so that it will have some movement to get the hpipe away from the transmission enough so that the bolt shoulder wont be touching anything and the o2 will come out easily.A impact gun or torque wrench is sometimes needed to remove those two nuts.
Urambo Tauro likes this.

1991 Mustang lx
D.S.S. 342ci {10.5:1}
TFS 190cc + track heat
Lunati 61011 .549".565"
Pro-M 76mm maf
Jetronic 30lb inj
QA1 Coilovers
17" Weld ProStar XP's

Last edited by wbrockstar; 11-26-2019 at 12:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page