• 1 Post By Krem12
  • 2 Post By 90lxwhite
  • 1 Post By 90lxwhite
  • 2 Post By eds85gt

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

T-5 “super heavy duty” power capacity??

Hello all so I am currently deciding on aluminums or gt40s. Found someone with a decent set of gt40p heads off 98 explorer for 120 bucks guys having hell of time selling them around here so I made him offer and he’s going for it. Before I do purchase these heads one of my main concerns is the recently installed, less than year ago, transmissions durability. It’s a T-5 super duty transmission here’s the link,
https://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-...eavy-duty.html What I’m trying to figure out is if I go with using mild cam and cobra intake with gt40p’s with possible mild port matching I could see realistically 250-270whp and maybe 280lb ft torque. If I went with a TFS top end kit I maybe pushing 300rwhp and 300 torque or more. It is strictly street car no drag racing planned. Also has 4.10 gears installed. These kinds on power numbers from aluminums cause issues with this transmission? Just have to ask because if It can I’ll save for TFS heads. But If that power means I’ll have to upgrade the transmission I’ll gladly stick to a more streetable gt40p setup as I am trying to stay in budget. Any one else run this trans have any success or problems with higher than stock power?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019
BOSS Member

Ya know, you can hook up a 500hp V8 to a VW transmission and as long as you don't jump on it, it will live! But IMHO, the tranny is fine for your application...just don't beat on it!

James408 likes this.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post
Ya know, you can hook up a 500hp V8 to a VW transmission and as long as you don't jump on it, it will live! But IMHO, the tranny is fine for your application...just don't beat on it!
Awesome thanks for the reply I had buddy say same thing so I'm starting to see a trend with the t5s just be easy on shifts and no sticky launches should be good for around 300lb ft

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019
PONY Member

Garage
From the torque rating it seems to be the same as the 90-93 Stock T5. As beech said, take it easy on it and it will live.
James408 likes this.

90 LX 5.0 5spd
FTI TW 11R 170cc --- Custom Cam Soon....
Ported 93 Cobra Intake Manifold -- BBK 75mm TB
FRPP shorties -- BBK O/R X
Spintech Prostreets -- 2.5in Flowmaster Tails
Hurst Billet Plus Shifter -- BBK CAI
FRPP 3.73s -- Walbro 190lph
3G alt -- Contour Fans -- '92 Premium Radio w/ EQ
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Use your clutch. Don’t power shift 1-2 and you’ll be ok. 334 rear ft lbs and my T5 hasn’t batted an eye (one dyno read 380 ft lbs). There are guy with gobs more power than me beating on theirs.
Krem12 and James408 like this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krem12 View Post
From the torque rating it seems to be the same as the 90-93 Stock T5. As beech said, take it easy on it and it will live.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lxwhite View Post
Use your clutch. Don’t power shift 1-2 and you’ll be ok. 334 rear ft lbs and my T5 hasn’t batted an eye (one dyno read 380 ft lbs). There are guy with gobs more power than me beating on theirs.
Yeah to be honest I shift very easy most of the time and never slam shift on my new one, even with stock beat up 86 engine. 90lxwhite damn that’s a lot of torque to put down maybe aluminums and cam won’t be so bad makes me think....maybe save up get aluminums instead? I mean guy I found wants $120 for gt40p straight off explorer block and I’ll have to do springs and valve seals
Lap seats all I can do myself but idk if it’s worth spending to have shop look over for cracks and whatnot. Could just refresh the stuff at home put them on and hope lol. anyways getting off topic here thanks again for the replies
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James408 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krem12 View Post
Quote:
Use your clutch. Don’t power shift 1-2 and you’ll be ok. 334 rear ft lbs and my T5 hasn’t batted an eye (one dyno read 380 ft lbs). There are guys with gobs more power than me beating on theirs.
Yeah to be honest I shift very easy most of the time and never slam shift on my new one, even with stock beat up 86 engine. 90lxwhite damn that’s a lot of torque to put down maybe aluminums and cam won’t be so bad makes me think....maybe save up get aluminums instead? I mean guy I found wants $120 for gt40p straight off explorer block and I’ll have to do springs and valve seals
Lap seats all I can do myself but idk if it’s worth spending to have shop look over for cracks and whatnot. Could just refresh the stuff at home put them on and hope lol. anyways getting off topic here thanks again for the replies
Mine has stock heads and a supercharger and the “torque hit” is pretty hard. Relatively speaking that is. It’s no 500 hp but it’ll spin through third gear if I dump the clutch much above 2k rpm. I’m on my second clutch but the transmission is holding up. The fluid has only been changed twice in its life time at that.
I was just recently thinking about getting a set of explorer heads here recently too. I hadn’t looked too hard but I hadn’t seen any prices that made them look too attractive. $120 sounds like a pretty good deal. The performance gap is pretty wide between the gt40’s and a set of Trick Flows and the likes. How much do you think you’d have invested in the gt40’s?
Krem12 likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2019
Rookie

I have an 85 GT with the Ford Racing T5 you have. Stock T5 was 3.25 1st gear, & the super duty Ford Racing has 2.95 1st gear. The torque rating on the super duty was 330 ft lbs at the time I bought it according to the Ford Racing catalog. I think 3rd gear is the weak link. I blew out 3rd gear but I was running a 351W with complete Perforrmer RPM HCI package & nitrous & drag radials. The nitrous gives a large hit of instantaneous torque & that probably was a big factor on the breakage. I think you would be fine even with Trick Flow package as long as you dont go forced induction or nitrous. Also sticking with an organic lining clutch disk would lessen possibility of breakage compared to mor aggressive linings which grab harder.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
my89foxbody and Grimbrand like this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020
GT Member
5.0L Member

I upgraded HCI (AFR165, custom cam, Holley intake) with all the trimmings with 3.55 gears and have had it dyno'ed at 315 ft/lb at the wheels, 315 tq. Still using my stock T5 and it has been fine so far. It has had about 15 runs at the 1/4 mile track and didn't even phase it (yet!!!). You should be fine. Any more hp/tq than this, I'd be a little worried about it. I don't hammer on it too much around town but it's been good for me so far. Had my car about 10 years.

'93 LX 5.0L Hatchback T5
- MM SFC's/MM LCA's/UPR UCA's/3.55 FRPP gears/UPR Torquebox/Aluminum DS/Spec Stage 1
- AFR165s/Custom Cam/Scorpion 1.6 RR's/Holley Systemax II/BBK 70mm TB/Pro-M 75mm MAF/24lb injectors
- Flexalite Xtreme/SVE 3 row alum radiator/PA Perf. 3G 95A/Pro 5.0/BBK CAI/Wahlbro190lph/SCT-Kurgan Tune
- MAC shorties/Flowmaster 40's & tails/Gabriel shocks & struts/Chrome Ponies
- Autometer gauges/04 Cobra seats/Pioneer sound/Satellite Radio/Billet thingys
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS93 View Post
I upgraded HCI (AFR165, custom cam, Holley intake) with all the trimmings with 3.55 gears and have had it dyno'ed at 315 ft/lb at the wheels, 315 tq. Still using my stock T5 and it has been fine so far. It has had about 15 runs at the 1/4 mile track and didn't even phase it (yet!!!). You should be fine. Any more hp/tq than this, I'd be a little worried about it. I don't hammer on it too much around town but it's been good for me so far. Had my car about 10 years.
Just curious, and sorry for the thread jacking, what sort of 1/4 mile times does that bad boy run? Street tires or slicks/drag radial?
GT Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Just curious, and sorry for the thread jacking, what sort of 1/4 mile times does that bad boy run? Street tires or slicks/drag radial?
...adding to the thread jack!!
Best I've done is 13.2 with Nitto 555 drag radials. I think with a good driver mod, I think it could touch high 12's.

'93 LX 5.0L Hatchback T5
- MM SFC's/MM LCA's/UPR UCA's/3.55 FRPP gears/UPR Torquebox/Aluminum DS/Spec Stage 1
- AFR165s/Custom Cam/Scorpion 1.6 RR's/Holley Systemax II/BBK 70mm TB/Pro-M 75mm MAF/24lb injectors
- Flexalite Xtreme/SVE 3 row alum radiator/PA Perf. 3G 95A/Pro 5.0/BBK CAI/Wahlbro190lph/SCT-Kurgan Tune
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Quote:
...adding to the thread jack!! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/AllFordMustangs-vbtoucan/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG]
Best I've done is 13.2 with Nitto 555 drag radials. I think with a good driver mod, I think it could touch high 12's.
Man the driving is the hardest part.. I’ll usually get one halfway decent pass out of five. I do a lot of bogging and spinning with the occasional 3rd gear miss. How do you like the drag radials? Did you ever make a pass on street tires? If so, is it a night and day difference?
My apologies again.
GT Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Man the driving is the hardest part.. I’ll usually get one halfway decent pass out of five. I do a lot of bogging and spinning with the occasional 3rd gear miss. How do you like the drag radials? Did you ever make a pass on street tires? If so, is it a night and day difference?
My apologies again.
The only time I didn't use drag radials is my first time out there. Yes, spun pretty good. Have been using BF Goodrich Sport Comp II's for a long time. Had to lower my launch RPM. ...and yes, usually 1 or 2 decent runs out of 5. I've missed 3rd gear a few times. I wouldn't say night and day difference, but drag radials are MUCH better. I think I can launch at 2500 without spinning much. I'm really not sure of my launch RPM because I'm looking at the light tree.

All this talk makes me want to go again!! LOL

'93 LX 5.0L Hatchback T5
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Quote:
My apologies again.
The only time I didn't use drag radials is my first time out there. Yes, spun pretty good. Have been using BF Goodrich Sport Comp II's for a long time. Had to lower my launch RPM. ...and yes, usually 1 or 2 decent runs out of 5. I've missed 3rd gear a few times. I wouldn't say night and day difference, but drag radials are MUCH better. I think I can launch at 2500 without spinning much. I'm really not sure of my launch RPM because I'm looking at the light tree.

All this talk makes me want to go again!! LOL
Darn that light tree. I’ll sit on the green and go when I’m ready. I kinda want to try “cheater slicks” but I’m afraid I’d break something other than the transmission.
@James408 You’ll be alright with aluminum headed power. Don’t forget the Mercon V.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page