Ford Mustang Forum banner

Yet another airbag question

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  johnf22 
#1 ·
Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death on here. I read through a few dozen threads on this, and I've been working with the description at veryuseful.com. My pain started as I was fixing some old driving light wiring on my son's 91 Mustang GT. Apparently, I touched something which then triggered a blinking 5 and a blinking 10 code on the airbag light. It finally stayed with the blinking 10 code, which I now know means the airbag monitor detected a short in the sensor wiring and it blew the thermal fuse open. I found a very informative post online about opening up the module and replacing the thermal fuse. So I figured I'd give it a try to make sure I had fixed the original problem (I found a very sketchy splice in the passenger side airbag sensor (near where I was working) which I assume started this whole mess. After a LOT of struggling, I managed to get the blue airbag monitor module from behind the climate control panel. Sure enough, the thermal fuse was open. As a temporary diagnostic measure, I soldered a wire across the open thermal fuse. The 15 ohm heater resistor measured exactly 15 ohms so I left it alone.

So I reconnected the blue box and powered up the car. No more blinking 10 code, but now I have a blinking 4 code, which should be an open circuit on the safing sensor. I suspect I might have moved a wire and caused an open. So here's my problem: In the post from veryuseful.com, it states that the safing sensor is "integral with the airbag diagnostic monitor". But I've had the module open and there is no safing sensor inside. I do see 2 connectors clipped to the blue box mounting bracket, could they be the safing sensor? Or could it be in the B pillar, as it states elsewhere? I was pretty careful working on the module so I don't think I hurt it. And it seems to be working since it's blinking out a code.

FWIW I found a "new" airbag monitor module on ebay, and it should be in Friday. I'm just afraid to plug it in until I have the wiring straightened out.

Anybody know where the "Safing Sensor" is located?

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks, but I've been to the site and have been using the list of codes and the information. My problem is I'm trying to find all the components without tearing the car apart. There seems to be conflicting information about where the safing sensor is. I don't even know what the safing sensor looks like-

#5 ·
According to the diagrams below,the 90 models had two safing sensors.One was with the center crash sensor at the radiator & the second one was integral to the diagnostic monitor.The 91-93 models only had one safing sensor and it was integral to the diagnostic monitor also.

Attachments

#6 ·
Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death on here. I read through a few dozen threads on this, and I've been working with the description at veryuseful.com. My pain started as I was fixing some old driving light wiring on my son's 91 Mustang GT. Apparently, I touched something which then triggered a blinking 5 and a blinking 10 code on the airbag light. It finally stayed with the blinking 10 code, which I now know means the airbag monitor detected a short in the sensor wiring and it blew the thermal fuse open. I found a very informative post online about opening up the module and replacing the thermal fuse. So I figured I'd give it a try to make sure I had fixed the original problem (I found a very sketchy splice in the passenger side airbag sensor (near where I was working) which I assume started this whole mess. After a LOT of struggling, I managed to get the blue airbag monitor module from behind the climate control panel. Sure enough, the thermal fuse was open. As a temporary diagnostic measure, I soldered a wire across the open thermal fuse. The 15 ohm heater resistor measured exactly 15 ohms so I left it alone.

So I reconnected the blue box and powered up the car. No more blinking 10 code, but now I have a blinking 4 code, which should be an open circuit on the safing sensor. I suspect I might have moved a wire and caused an open. So here's my problem: In the post from veryuseful.com, it states that the safing sensor is "integral with the airbag diagnostic monitor". But I've had the module open and there is no safing sensor inside. I do see 2 connectors clipped to the blue box mounting bracket, could they be the safing sensor? Or could it be in the B pillar, as it states elsewhere? I was pretty careful working on the module so I don't think I hurt it. And it seems to be working since it's blinking out a code.

FWIW I found a "new" airbag monitor module on ebay, and it should be in Friday. I'm just afraid to plug it in until I have the wiring straightened out.

Anybody know where the "Safing Sensor" is located?
did you every find out what the two wire harness was that is clipped to the diagnostic module behind the climate controls? Mine has nothing plugged into as yours did?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.