Will these mufflers fit a ‘95 GT? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I found a set of “off brand” Flowmaster’s that I’m thinking about giving a try if they will fit. Currently I have the stock mid pipe so will these fit it? I might get a new 2.5” H pipe if funds allow but they probably don’t because I need new over the axle pipes as well. The muffler dimensions are: 2.50 in. Offset Inlet/2.50 in. Offset Outlet - Case Dimensions 4 in. x 9.75 in. x 13 in. - 19 in. Overall Length.
For the the over the axle & tail pipes I guess I’m going to go with something like SR Performance’s 2.5”. What kind of stinks is that I have fairly new 3” tips welded onto the oem axle pipes, it’s leaking where it goes over the axle. The “stinky part” is that they say a 3” pipe won’t fit over the axle of a ‘94/‘95, so I’d be going back to a factory sized tip. But maybe I can have the 3” tips I have now cut off and welded to the 2.5.”
Anyway, do y’all think that these mufflers will weld onto the stock pipe without major issues?

Thanks fellas

Mufflers- http://www.bucks4x4.com/Flowmaster/F...ffler/42543-FM

Axle/tail pipe https://www.americanmuscle.com/musta...s-8697-v8.html

*Edit*
I’m not sure about the SR tailpipes. Some reviews for ‘94/‘95 said they “fit perfect” and some said they required cutting and welding.
https://www.americanmuscle.com/musta...ustomerReviews

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020
BOSS Member

IMHO, most of the "kits" about 50%+ of the time require "massaging" to get them to fit the way you would like.....so you end up at a muffler shop anyway. For what you are spending, you could go to a real muffler shop and they can bend out a set for you for about the same price...except they would install it as well. Since you are in the LA area, may I suggest San Pedro Muffler...they have been around for decades, the son Tim has had the shop for 15+ years now.

BTW, unless it's for the tone that you like, why else would you want to put those mufflers on anyway...they choke the flow (unless you use the single chamber units) and do nothing for your performance. Even conventional "glasspacks" are proven in flow testing to out perform many of the so-called"Free Flowing Real Mufflers". For reference, WyoTech, Hot RodMagazine has numerous published articles on this. On the net, please read:

broaderperformance.com/muffler_flow_tests.htm (Independently tested cfm flowsof the more popular mufflers, glasspacks and resonators @ 15” wc:

For a foundation of comparison:
2 ½” diameter straight pipe 521
2 ¼” diameter straight pipe 365
2” diameter straight pipe 283

2 ¼” diameter tailpipe 268
2 ¼” round glasspack- no louvers 274
2 ¼” round glasspack- with inwardpunched louvers 133
2 ¼” round glasspack- inwardpunched louvers/installed backwards 141

2 ½” inlet/outlet DynomaxSuperTurbo 268

2 1/4” inlet/outlet Thrush CVX 260

2 ½” inlet/outlet Flowmaster2-chamber 249

2 ¼” inlet/2 ½”outlet Cherry Bombturbo 249

2 ¼” inlet/outlet Flowmaster3-chamber 229

2 ¼” inlet/2 ½”outlet MaremountSuper C (OEM Replacement) 149

2 ¼” inlet/2” dual outlet Maremount 183

2 ¼” inlet/outlet California Turbo 229

2 ½” inlet/outlet HookerAerochamber 324

2 ½” inlet/outlet Hooker MaxFlow 521

2 ¼” inlet/outlet MaremountCherrybomb Vortex 298

2 ½” inlet center/outlet offsetBorla Turbo 373

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...../index1.html (this is an in-depth article that tests not only themis-conception of flow demand but also how placement of a muffler (a glass packin this dyno test) can actually "fool " the system into thinking thatit is essentially a straight pipe.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post
IMHO, most of the "kits" about 50%+ of the time require "massaging" to get them to fit the way you would like.....so you end up at a muffler shop anyway. For what you are spending, you could go to a real muffler shop and they can bend out a set for you for about the same price...except they would install it as well. Since you are in the LA area, may I suggest San Pedro Muffler...they have been around for decades, the son Tim has had the shop for 15+ years now.

BTW, unless it's for the tone that you like, why else would you want to put those mufflers on anyway...they choke the flow (unless you use the single chamber units) and do nothing for your performance. Even conventional "glasspacks" are proven in flow testing to out perform many of the so-called"Free Flowing Real Mufflers". For reference, WyoTech, Hot RodMagazine has numerous published articles on this. On the net, please read:

broaderperformance.com/muffler_flow_tests.htm (Independently tested cfm flowsof the more popular mufflers, glasspacks and resonators @ 15” wc:

For a foundation of comparison:
2 ½” diameter straight pipe 521
2 ¼” diameter straight pipe 365
2” diameter straight pipe 283

2 ¼” diameter tailpipe 268
2 ¼” round glasspack- no louvers 274
2 ¼” round glasspack- with inwardpunched louvers 133
2 ¼” round glasspack- inwardpunched louvers/installed backwards 141

2 ½” inlet/outlet DynomaxSuperTurbo 268

2 1/4” inlet/outlet Thrush CVX 260

2 ½” inlet/outlet Flowmaster2-chamber 249

2 ¼” inlet/2 ½”outlet Cherry Bombturbo 249

2 ¼” inlet/outlet Flowmaster3-chamber 229

2 ¼” inlet/2 ½”outlet MaremountSuper C (OEM Replacement) 149

2 ¼” inlet/2” dual outlet Maremount 183

2 ¼” inlet/outlet California Turbo 229

2 ½” inlet/outlet HookerAerochamber 324

2 ½” inlet/outlet Hooker MaxFlow 521

2 ¼” inlet/outlet MaremountCherrybomb Vortex 298

2 ½” inlet center/outlet offsetBorla Turbo 373

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...../index1.html (this is an in-depth article that tests not only themis-conception of flow demand but also how placement of a muffler (a glass packin this dyno test) can actually "fool " the system into thinking thatit is essentially a straight pipe.

I need to talk to a shop but I bet they couldn’t beat $150 for the parts. I think I paid the shop $75 each (plus labor) for just the tips.
About ten years ago I replaced rusted out Flowmasters with Forza Flow’s which are “house brand” Flowmaster esq chambered mufflers. They’ve been good but one has rusted. They were more than $30 each ten years ago so I’m pretty sure they’ll be higher now. I watched a few videos of the Flowmonsters and they sound alright. Especially for $30 each. I don’t think there’s much power if any to be had with any sort of muffler and tail pipe combo, aka, cat-backs, aka axle-backs. I bet if I went with a new mid-pipe back I’d see a ten or less horse gain. If my muffler was the only thing leaking I’d just replace those but the darned ole axle pipe is leaking somewhere around the rear drivers tire. If I run seafoam through the intake smoke will billow of that wheel well. I bet it’ll be an easy $300 labor to install two mufflers and a set of axle pipes if I brought them the parts. If I bought the materials through a shop and had them fab it up surely it’ll cost more. Dealer parts markup plus fabrication and install labor.
I looked for a set of Forza Flow’s online but I think they’re just sold to shops.
What do you think about the Flowmonsters dimensions? Think they’ll fit under there?
I’m too old for single chamber mufflers.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I believe they will fit. They have the same dimensions as a Flowmaster 40 series.
$90 each for the Flowmasters... A little higher than the $30 monsters.
https://www.americanmuscle.com/flowm...wE#productInfo
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lxwhite View Post
I need to talk to a shop but I bet they couldn’t beat $150 for the parts. I think I paid the shop $75 each (plus labor) for just the tips.
last my tailpipes on my Mark LT needed to be replaced.... (lasted 13 years...it was my own fault that they rusted out but that's another story)….he charged me $200 to bend them out and install..... my neighbor last week went down there to get his muffler replaced.... (resonator) and paid $109 with tax.....

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020
GT Member

Sometimes muffler shops will also have a few sets of tailpipes for various years/ makes/models on hand at the shop or will order them and use them vs spending the time & hassle to bend their own pipes.It really depends on the shop though as to which method they'll use.Since youve got cats & mufflers,which means the car wont be as loud as it would be with an offroad pipe & no mufflers plus obnoxious fumes wont be present because of having cats,have you ever considered just dumping it before the axle or would this still be too loud for you??
If you do have to have tailpipes,Yes Im sure the tips can be cut off & welded to the new tailpipes.

1991 Mustang lx
D.S.S. 342ci {10.5:1}
TFS 190cc + track heat
Lunati 61011 .549".565"
Pro-M 76mm maf
Jetronic 30lb inj
QA1 Coilovers
17" Weld ProStar XP's
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrockstar View Post
Sometimes muffler shops will also have a few sets of tailpipes for various years/ makes/models on hand at the shop or will order them and use them vs spending the time & hassle to bend their own pipes.It really depends on the shop though as to which method they'll use.Since youve got cats & mufflers,which means the car wont be as loud as it would be with an offroad pipe & no mufflers plus obnoxious fumes wont be present because of having cats,have you ever considered just dumping it before the axle or would this still be too loud for you??
If you do have to have tailpipes,Yes Im sure the tips can be cut off & welded to the new tailpipes.

I'll see what a few shops say prior to buying anything. I'll probably have to pass on the dumps, too loud and I imagine it'd be drone city.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

double.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020
GT Member

I understand

1991 Mustang lx
D.S.S. 342ci {10.5:1}
TFS 190cc + track heat
Lunati 61011 .549".565"
Pro-M 76mm maf
Jetronic 30lb inj
QA1 Coilovers
17" Weld ProStar XP's
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I pulled the trigger and ordered the two chamber Flowmonsters. I’m not sure when I’ll get them on. Hopefully all goes well and they sound good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page