Scatter shield - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Scatter shield

Hello:

Was wondering at what point it makes sense to install a scatter shield for a manual tranny street driven car?
Obviously it would always be a good idea to have one. Depends on hp, driving style etc but I would like to
hear what others are doing re scatter shield for street use. Also wondering if there is a ballistic wrap around
blanket style shield available for a manual tranny?

Thanks
Fred

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredsn95 View Post
Hello:

Was wondering at what point it makes sense to install a scatter shield for a manual tranny street driven car?
Obviously it would always be a good idea to have one. Depends on hp, driving style etc but I would like to
hear what others are doing re scatter shield for street use. Also wondering if there is a ballistic wrap around
blanket style shield available for a manual tranny?

Thanks
Fred
I don’t think it’s ever going to grenade and blow shrapnel everywhere. More than likely a synchro or something will go out and you just won’t be able to shift. What is more likely to happen first though is your organic clutch compound will just disintegrate and you won’t be able to shift. I burned up a stock clutch with 330 rear horse at the race track, but if I wasn’t racing it probably would have lasted forever. It went out when I was shifting from 2nd to 3rd dumping the clutch at 6k rpm.
If you’re concerned about blowing up a transmission the logical solution would be to get a transmission that can handle the amount of power that you are trying to make.
I don’t think it ever makes too much sense to get a scatter shield for a street car really. I think most people who have them do so because it is part of some race tracks rules. If you go X amount of time in the 1/4 mile I believe you are required to have one. I think mainly to keep crap from getting onto their race track.
I’d probably skimp on that purchase.
If you’ve been driving around for a year or so with your current power level you’d have blown the transmission by now if it was going to blow. If you to were dump the clutch from 2k+ rpm and shift at 6k and dump again then your stock clutch (if it is) will go after a few times of that. Mine lasted a few year street driving and maybe 10-15 total drag strip passes. The transmission is ok though. If I wouldn’t have let off of the gas between shifts I might have broken a synchro.
Your current combination isn’t going to blow up your motor. If you want more power you are going to have to pony up for a better top end and or more boost. The ones that are blowing motors at the “magic 500 hp mark” are racing them. They aren’t blowing up cursing around town or during the occasional wide open throttle run. It’s the shock from high rpm launches and the constant trips to redline. Remember it’s x amount of hp at x amount of rpm. How often are you at x rpm?
A 500 hp build isn’t going to be cheap anyway you slice it. You’ll need 500 hp worth of go fast parts (which you don’t have), 500 hp worth of fuel parts, (don’t have those either) and a 500 hp drivetrain. If you have a stock or “stage 2” clutch you’ll need a new one of those, if you have a t5 you’ll need a new one of those, if your rear differential is stock you’ll need a new one of those as well as new axles. The drivetrain isn’t a need if you drive like a grandma but why would granny want 500 hp?
Don’t buy a scatter shield, buy a transmission that won’t scatter. But don’t buy the transmission unless you can scatter it. Scatter shields are for the rule books, not for street cars.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page