Ford Mustang Forum banner

GT40P Heads

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Grimbrand 
#1 ·
Hi all! I´m in the process of rebuilding a 5.0 GT40P from a Explorer.
I´m a little stalled at the heads, as I never build a roller rocker engine, just the old flat tappet type.. Is there any variable in the proccedure for the reassembly of the valve train? I mean, rockers/push rods/lifters/torques/etc? Maybe if one have this specific part of the workshop manual would be great!
Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Stang66guy, the GT40P is a bit weird, because it has an oddball valve rotator on the exhaust side, and different spring seat heights from intake to exhaust too. That's not common for any engine, but the idea wasn't a bad one. Unfortunately, unless you want to keep the stock Exploder cam, you really need better springs. And you need a better cam. That thing is garbage. Not too bad for moving a big fat truck around and pooping out by about 4500 RPMs, with decent economy, but not very fun for a performance car.

Fortunately they do sell spring/valve kits specifically for the GT40P pretty cheap! After that, your only worry is headers and plug angles ...

But for all the fuss, the GT40P heads are really pretty dang good, so long as you don't spend a mint on them. They do best with only about 28 degrees timing, unlike most Fords which usually like about 34. That means they burn FAST. They make good power, don't care much about octane, and they get great economy. Good choice for anything that's not all about racing, and even some that are.

#3 ·
Hi Grimbrand! Thanks for your reply!!! I think I really need the workshop manual for this.. I don´t want to scre*this up...
In my case I will use at first the explorer cam/springs, I just want to reassembly the engine and run it in the engine stand.. I have the car in body work, currently done 70%, so I don´t need the engine in a million pieces right now.. So, I didn´t have really looking too much for options...
I also have a doubt with the valve seals, I have 3 types, 8x black "umbrella" type, 8x "spring type" seals black, 8x "spring type" seals blue.. I know the blues are the intake ones and the black the exhaust ones... but, the "umbrella" type? should I use both the "spring type" and "umbrella" type on the exhaust guides??
If you have a link to a page for purchase the workshop manual to this engine, please post it!

Thanks in advance!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.