Two cats Vs. Four cats? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2001

's Avatar

Two cats Vs. Four cats?

Alright, on my stang right now, she has four cats on the exhaust system. If I were to go with an X-pipe that has only two cats on it, am I still going to pass emissions? And I'm looking at a pretty good horse power gain with an X-pipe right? Or would an H-pipe be better? Thanks-- Paul

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2001

's Avatar

Re: Two cats Vs. Four cats?

You should still pass emsissons with the 2 cats, but when you have parts that aren't emissions legal, then you have a problem, it doesn't matter if it passes out the pipe, if its not emissions legal. I think on a normally aspirated, mostly stock 5.0 motor the X-pipe is worthless unless the motor is modified somewhat or has some form of forced induction. I hear they work great with superchargers and the newer 4.6L Mustangs.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2001

's Avatar

X pipe!

You didn't mention what year your stang was or which state you live in, but I happen to like the X-pipe myself. This is kind of none technical response but, I just like the sound of an X-pipe better then a H-pipe.

As to the power department of an X-pipe, I think they are equal, or possibly better then a H-pipe, but they are more expensive and like Jesse said, they won't do much for a stock motor. But I would still recommend it. Like any mod, it helps to be prepared for the future! Besides, you got to love the sound

Emissions should not be a problem. Just ask the manufacturer if it is emissions legal in your state. They have to tell you and they will. Don't run anything that won't pass emissions! It a big headache you will want to avoid!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2001

's Avatar

Re: X pipe!

Me personally I took all my cats off but definately dont do that if you have to pass emissions tests. You shouldn't have a problem with just two cats. If there is a performance shop in your area I would give them a call they might give you a definate answer
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2002

's Avatar

No Cats!

I saw that you took all four cats off your car. I have a 2000GT and want to gut the cats on it. What mods will I have to install to beat the computer?

JK00GT
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2002

's Avatar

X-Pipe

Paul, an X-pipe will be quieter than the H-pipe. Depending on what state you live in, I would get an Off-Road H-pipe(no cats). It will really open up your exhaust system. Do you have aftermarket mufflers? If so, you will get a mean roar with the h-pipe. The X-pipe is the quieter of the two. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page