rearends - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2004 Thread Starter

rearends

i have a question,does the 4 cyl rear end have quad shocks(axle dampeners) like the 8 cyl mustangs,the reson i am asking is could this cause alot of confusion in a 4 to 8 cyl engine swap??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2004
5.0L Member

even if it didn't i would still install quad shocks

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2004 Thread Starter

yes but what i'm askin is on the 4cyl body are the mounts there or would i need to build mounts or cut some off a 5.0 and weld them on the 4 cyl body???

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004
5.0L Member

4cyl 92

I have a 89 5.0. It was rearended. We cut t he back off his old 92 4 cyl mustang and welded it up. We took all my parts(axle, upper and lower control arms, shocks ,sway bar, springs,and the quad shocks) and bolted them to the 4cyl back end. We did not do any cutting or welding. It should bolt right up
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2004
2.3L Member

Four cylinder Mustangs do not have the mounts for quadshocks on the frame.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2004
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member

All you would need to do is weld in studs on the body for the shock to bolt to . No big deal . I wouldnt let that get in the way . I would think that should be the least of the work when compared to the swap

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2004

I never looked specifically for them when I did my swap. I completely disagree with using them in the 1st place. Infact, I'd simply upgrade the upper and lower control arms with something more suitable for hard launches and call it done. I removed my old cars quad shocks about 10yrs ago and never missed them even a little bit.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2004
2.3L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobW
I never looked specifically for them when I did my swap. I completely disagree with using them in the 1st place. Infact, I'd simply upgrade the upper and lower control arms with something more suitable for hard launches and call it done. I removed my old cars quad shocks about 10yrs ago and never missed them even a little bit.
I took the quadshocks off my car when I swapped in a 3.55 rear end and suffered from wheelhop immediately. Quadshocks are a cheap alternative to buying an entire control arm set...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2004
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob0781
yes but what i'm askin is on the 4cyl body are the mounts there or would i need to build mounts or cut some off a 5.0 and weld them on the 4 cyl body???
To answer your question, no the brackets are not there, however the threaded mounting holes are there. All you need to do is bolt up the 5.0 brackets to the frame.

Tony Berger
91 LX 337 Incon Twin Turbo
D&D Viper T-56 6 speed
Maximum Motorsports front to rear
94 Cobra
99 Lightning
88 SSP Secret Service
and it's JUST-N-LX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible Juan
I took the quadshocks off my car when I swapped in a 3.55 rear end and suffered from wheelhop immediately. Quadshocks are a cheap alternative to buying an entire control arm set...
I've read of others having this problem. I can't see why I never did, but I never did. Even when my car was running 11's on standard radials there was never any wheel hop issues at all. All I used was SouthSide Machine Bars. At some point, I welded those to stop their mobility. Nonetheless, no wheel hop. All that stuff has been replaced now, but it was there for several years(1995-2002) and through 3.08's, 3.55's, 3.73's and even 4.10's without issue. Well, not entirely w/o issue. Eventually, my torque boxes ripped out(in 1997). I re-welded and re-enforced them and that was that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page