Looking for tail lights that have yellow turn signals for UK requirements? - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004 Thread Starter
5.0L Member

Looking for tail lights that have yellow turn signals for UK requirements?

One of my tail lights is cracked. At some time I will be replacing it, or both! I've had a look at www.50resto.com, and the GT tail lights are not listed. Maybe I should have bought an LX?
A further problem is, than in the UK, we are not allowed rear red turn signals on vehicles made after 1965! ( I have no idea why ? ) . They now have to have orange lenses, or clear lenses with an orange bulb. Do LX rear lights fit straight onto the GT ? It would look a bit different, but I wouldn't worry too much about that !

I wonder if any of you USA based people are running an old British made Morris Marina, or Jaguar, and have trouble getting parts for them ?

Just look up "Morris Marina" on Google, and you will get an idea what a pile of dog-dirt they were, even when new!!

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004
2.3L Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

just by some lx tailights then.......that should get r dun.......also, check ebay if you want to stay with the gt's.......but lx will fit

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004
GT Member
5.0L Member

LX lights wont help because they are still just red flashing lights for turn signals. The 86 and earlier GT taillights along with the 93 Cobra lights have a yellow portion on them but I dont know if that is the turn signal. Thats your best bet, because they too will bolt right up.

Cardinal Red '88 GT 5 speed, 99 Contour Electric Dual Fans, Battery relocated, 130 amp alternator, 76mm Mass Air conversion, 75mm BBK throttle body, 5.0L .030 over, BBK SSI, AFR 185cc heads, Comp Cams XE276HR, BBK ceramic longtubes, Spec Stage II clutch, MM front/rear coil overs, MM front LCA's, MM manual brake conversion, Flaming River Manual Rack, 94-04 Cobra front brakes, 99 Cobra IRS, Torsen T2R differential, 3:55 gears

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004
BOSS Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to GhostDog 5.0 Send a message via Yahoo to GhostDog 5.0
The yellow on the cobra tail lights are the turning signals. I'd get those to solve your problem.

89 GT Hatch: Custom M90 Supercharged w/ Ported Trickflow Trackheat Heads, Stage 1 cam, Streetheat lower / Sheet metal upper, Tweecer RT & PLX Wideband, 75mm TB, 1.6 Roller rockers, 3.73s, MSD 6a, Canton 7qt Pan+ Windage tray, 36LB Injectors, 200 amp Alternator, 75mm Pro-Mas MAF, 190lph fuel pump,Spec Stage 1 Clutch,SouthSide LCA's, Pro 5.0 Shifter, Steeda CC Plates / Springs, FMS Aluminum Driveshaft, New T5 w/ 2.95 first gear, Underdrive pullies, Zirgo 3300Cfm Elec. Fan, AFCO alum. radiator
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004 Thread Starter
5.0L Member

Thumbs up Marvel of the Internet ?

Thanks folks, that's very helpful!
One of the first problems about getting an imported car registered in the UK, is dealing with British Beaurocracy! My '90 GT model has been in the UK for ten years, so somebody has already gone through all this. It already has orange turn signals, and an add-on rear fog light, and the headlights dip to the left, to meet UK regulations. It looks like the Cobra lights are the way to go! Driving round with red turns would get me pulled over occasionally, but I would need orange ones for the annual Ministry of Transport roadworthy-ness test (MOT).

Do current US cars all have orange turn signals now? They didn't when I was last over there, in 98 !
GM recently stopped officially importing the Camaro, and Cadilllac STS into the UK recently. These all had to conform to EU regulations, so had orange turns. The even did the Caddy in RHD !
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangboy5666
The 86 and earlier GT taillights along with the 93 Cobra lights have a yellow portion on them but I dont know if that is the turn signal. Thats your best bet, because they too will bolt right up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDog 5.0
The yellow on the cobra tail lights are the turning signals. I'd get those to solve your problem.
That would be ALL (not just GT) '83-'86 Mustangs and '93 SVT Cobra and Cobra "R". The brake/running lense is red. The turn lense is yellow. The backup lense is white/clear.

1979-1993 Fox Capri and Mustang VIN Decoder: foxchassis.com

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, Vehicle Certification Labels, Buck Tags, Build Sheets, Window Stickers, Owner Cards, Warranty Tags, History 999 Reports, Invoices, Axle Tags
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004 Thread Starter
5.0L Member

All as clear as mud ! er, I think ?

So for a few years you have had orange turn signals, then gone back to red, then orange, then red again ?

Oh no! Not over here ! Some government official decided red turn signals were no good for us any more,
quite a long time ago !

Actually, it is a serious problem! No orange turn signals, not certificated, hence not allowed on the road !

I believe this car was delivered new in Dubai , and then came back to Britain with the first owner, and went to France for a while. I'm not sure what the rules are over there in Dubai, but mine absolutely has orange turn signals! It's most certainly a '90 model with the 25th anniversary badge on the dash ! I have all the garage receipts going back for years, including some in French and Arabic.

The speedo/tacho is all in Kilometres, (with a secondary marking for miles) ! That apparently is NOT a problem for the beaurocrats ! Also, in this country I have to sit on the "wrong" side to drive, Also not a problem! There are quite a few American vehicles over here, and many from mainland Europe.

My GT has a body coloured grill/meshe over the rear lights, which I like ! Would the 93 Cobra lights fit with this or would I have to ditch that ?

Would send a picture if I could work out how !

Thanks for all your responses !

There really is a big ocean of knowledge on this BB!

:smoke:
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004
5.0L Member

Yes the cobra lens unit will bolt directly up. Here in America like on my GT alot of people prefer the cleaner look of the LX style lens and it is a common modification. Good luck with your regulations.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004
OzPony

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan.j.thackray
One of the first problems about getting an imported car registered in the UK, is dealing with British Beaurocracy! My '90 GT model has been in the UK for ten years, so somebody has already gone through all this.
Dont feel too bad. British Regulations are light on compared to Australian ones. I got my orange turn signals lights from eBay. I have found many Canadian Cars run orange turn signals. :smoke:
GT Member
4.6L Member

the svo lenses will work too, they look very much like the cobras.

1998 SVT Cobra #4941 of 5174 built on June 19,1998
4.30s, Speedcal, WMS CAI, Pro 5.0 shifter, Sniper Tuner, March pulleys, Mac O/R H pipe, Flowmaster orig. 40's, King Cobra clutch, D/S rotors, FRPP 9mm's, Max. Motorsports C/C plates, Termy front control arms, H&R SS springs, MM solid steering rack bushings, Tokico HP struts and shocks, Mac subrames, HID Bi-Xenon 6000k kit, Saleen 18" wheels, Saleen S-281 spoiler, sequential tails
Up Next: Termi diff, 31 spline Axles, LPW girdle, MM LCAs
OzPony

Actually, does anyone know what my tail lights are off ???

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/photo...cat/500/page/1
GT Member
4.6L Member

hey, oz, i've been looking for a set of those...where did you get them? wanna trade? i believe3 those are "export" taillights. they were for australian and european stangs. i think.

1998 SVT Cobra #4941 of 5174 built on June 19,1998
4.30s, Speedcal, WMS CAI, Pro 5.0 shifter, Sniper Tuner, March pulleys, Mac O/R H pipe, Flowmaster orig. 40's, King Cobra clutch, D/S rotors, FRPP 9mm's, Max. Motorsports C/C plates, Termy front control arms, H&R SS springs, MM solid steering rack bushings, Tokico HP struts and shocks, Mac subrames, HID Bi-Xenon 6000k kit, Saleen 18" wheels, Saleen S-281 spoiler, sequential tails
Up Next: Termi diff, 31 spline Axles, LPW girdle, MM LCAs
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to sxrpGT
i have LX tailights in my GT. Bought it that way. The turn signal area is clear. I have a clear bulb instead of orange. I dont know what year they are off of though.

Drew

If I take cars and hot girls with money and add them to my life, I have found the key to happiness!
OzPony

Quote:
Originally Posted by badass98svt
hey, oz, i've been looking for a set of those...where did you get them? wanna trade? i believe3 those are "export" taillights. they were for australian and european stangs. i think.
Thanks badass.... I forgot about the export package. The export package was for Japan. They have to have orange/yellow turn signals there too.

I cant swap brother. I have to have them so my car can be registered as red ones are illegal here. I found them on eBay.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004 Thread Starter
5.0L Member

Yellow turn signals

[QUOTE=OzPony]Thanks badass.... I forgot about the export package. The export package was for Japan. They have to have orange/yellow turn signals there too.

Same problem here ! Is RHD a requirement in Aus ? I've seen very few RHD Mustangs, and NO Fox body ones!
Quite a few of those Japanese market 95+ export versions make it to the UK...
Thanks for all the input !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page