Turn signals stopped working. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004 Thread Starter

Turn signals stopped working.

The other day my turn signals just stopped working. I checked the fuse box and every thing is ok. Its kinda weord because the hazard lights still work but I think they are on a different circuit anyways. I think its probably the turn signal flasher unit but im not sure. Any ideas guys?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004
BOSS Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to GhostDog 5.0 Send a message via Yahoo to GhostDog 5.0
The hazard lights and turn signals need each other. Make sure your hazard lights aren't half way pushed. That will cause your turn signals to stop working. Check that out. Happened to me a few times.

I have a turn signal switch on ebay if things dont work out.

89 GT Hatch: Custom M90 Supercharged w/ Ported Trickflow Trackheat Heads, Stage 1 cam, Streetheat lower / Sheet metal upper, Tweecer RT & PLX Wideband, 75mm TB, 1.6 Roller rockers, 3.73s, MSD 6a, Canton 7qt Pan+ Windage tray, 36LB Injectors, 200 amp Alternator, 75mm Pro-Mas MAF, 190lph fuel pump,Spec Stage 1 Clutch,SouthSide LCA's, Pro 5.0 Shifter, Steeda CC Plates / Springs, FMS Aluminum Driveshaft, New T5 w/ 2.95 first gear, Underdrive pullies, Zirgo 3300Cfm Elec. Fan, AFCO alum. radiator
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004 Thread Starter

In my shop manual it says that the hazard lights and the turn signals are on a different circuit. I know for sure that they are on different fuses in the fuse box and that the flasher units are different. I mess with the hazard switch a bunch because thats what i thought it was and the work fine but thr turn signals still dont work.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004
Apprentice

Check all your turn signal bulbs, check all the ground wires back in your tail lights area, and since there cheap I would just replace the turn signal flasher and the hazard flasher that should be hidden behind the glove back area. I also put in all the heavy duty flashers they seem to last longer.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004
5.0L Member

this is kind of weird because my car is doing the same thing, think i will go and get some flashers.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDog 5.0
The hazard lights and turn signals need each other. Make sure your hazard lights aren't half way pushed. That will cause your turn signals to stop working. Check that out. Happened to me a few times.
This is correct, same thing happened to me. Hazard switch was partially set and neither the hazard nor the blinkers would work, man I searched high and low before finding it.

This may not be the problem here, but for anyone who has blinker trouble, it's the first thing to check, turn the hazards on and off a few times....
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004

Same thing happened to me.My turn signal relay went bad.They are on diffrent circuits there is a relay for each.One is on the front of the fuse panel bye the fuses and the other is on the back side.I swapped out relays for now until I get a new one.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004

My stang had the same problem, ended up being a turn signal flasher. It wasn't the flasher on the fuse box but there is another flasher near the steering colum under the dash. Good luck.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004
5.0L Member

flashers

I have i similer problem but opposite turn signals work but hazered dont work. dont know what to tell you

Arron
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beast
I have i similer problem but opposite turn signals work but hazered dont work. dont know what to tell you

Arron
your hazard lights work with its own fasher,independant from the turn signal flasher.
BOSS Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to GhostDog 5.0 Send a message via Yahoo to GhostDog 5.0
Did everyone's flasher just break all of the sudden ?? ?

89 GT Hatch: Custom M90 Supercharged w/ Ported Trickflow Trackheat Heads, Stage 1 cam, Streetheat lower / Sheet metal upper, Tweecer RT & PLX Wideband, 75mm TB, 1.6 Roller rockers, 3.73s, MSD 6a, Canton 7qt Pan+ Windage tray, 36LB Injectors, 200 amp Alternator, 75mm Pro-Mas MAF, 190lph fuel pump,Spec Stage 1 Clutch,SouthSide LCA's, Pro 5.0 Shifter, Steeda CC Plates / Springs, FMS Aluminum Driveshaft, New T5 w/ 2.95 first gear, Underdrive pullies, Zirgo 3300Cfm Elec. Fan, AFCO alum. radiator
GT Member
5.0L Member

I think so, cause mine did the day after I read this post...

Cardinal Red '88 GT 5 speed, 99 Contour Electric Dual Fans, Battery relocated, 130 amp alternator, 76mm Mass Air conversion, 75mm BBK throttle body, 5.0L .030 over, BBK SSI, AFR 185cc heads, Comp Cams XE276HR, BBK ceramic longtubes, Spec Stage II clutch, MM front/rear coil overs, MM front LCA's, MM manual brake conversion, Flaming River Manual Rack, 94-04 Cobra front brakes, 99 Cobra IRS, Torsen T2R differential, 3:55 gears
Apprentice
5.0L Member

yep, i had the same problem yesterday and when i read this post i immediatley went to look for the turn signal flasher. i had the take out the glove box and found it on the left side , may be different for others though. replaced it and problem fixed. thanks guys
S197 Member

your turn signals, low fluids module and your reverse lights are all on the same circuit. if your turn signals are gone and your check oil light comes on in the low fluids module then you had the same problem i did. i crawled under the car and where the wires run from inside the car to the underbody of the car the reverse switch wires were wedged under the tranny mount causing it to short out. i pulled them away and tied them out of sight. i no longer have a problem. your module might not light up. from what i understand some didnt have bulbs in them. i for some reason do, not sure if that is common but the only light that comes on is my check oil light. check it out

FYI check ignition switch

Hi guys,

I had this exact same problem a week ago. Turn signals did not work, but the hazards did, and my HVAC would also not work. All fuses were good.

I took a look at the wiring in my steering column to find out that my ignition switch had fallen appart, and was held together with a wire tie. I replaced it, and the problem has gone away.

I hope this helps, good luck
Greg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page