Engine coolant temp sensor has power but other wire has none(reports nothing?) - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to GhostDog 5.0 Send a message via Yahoo to GhostDog 5.0
Engine coolant temp sensor has power but other wire has none(reports nothing?)

I checked the codes on my car yesterday and it was saying my ECT was out of range , keys on engine off.

I checked the light green/yellow wire and it was getting power and I checked the black/white wire and it wasnt reporting any voltage (car off or on warmed up). Is that a sign of a bad temperature sensor ?

Another odd thing is, it reported those codes and now it wont report them any more , on or off??

89 GT Hatch: Custom M90 Supercharged w/ Ported Trickflow Trackheat Heads, Stage 1 cam, Streetheat lower / Sheet metal upper, Tweecer RT & PLX Wideband, 75mm TB, 1.6 Roller rockers, 3.73s, MSD 6a, Canton 7qt Pan+ Windage tray, 36LB Injectors, 200 amp Alternator, 75mm Pro-Mas MAF, 190lph fuel pump,Spec Stage 1 Clutch,SouthSide LCA's, Pro 5.0 Shifter, Steeda CC Plates / Springs, FMS Aluminum Driveshaft, New T5 w/ 2.95 first gear, Underdrive pullies, Zirgo 3300Cfm Elec. Fan, AFCO alum. radiator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

EEC also has a wiggle-test mode. Activate KOEO for 10 seconds, and then
deactivate and activate again using your scanner, or by unhooking the
jumper wire - if that's what you're using. You can now wiggle engine
harness wires and watch the scanner or your check engine light for any
signals. ( Charles O. Probst )
You can also do this with the engine running - using KOER mode. You
might have had a loose connection which was "fixed" when you moved
the wire(s) to check the circuit.

'88 GT convertible, 5 speed, 3:08 gears, A9L Mass Air conversion. Mac shorty headers and H-pipe, Magnaflow catback.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005
2.3L Member

Was your car warmed up when you ran the codes? If your car isn't at operating temperature, it will say the ECT sensor is out of range.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Sounds like a worn out connector. You already replaced your ECT per your other post.

To check the ECT, get a pan of cold water on the stove, with an ohm meter connected to the ECT place it in the water, wait for the water to warm up. You should see the resistants drop as the water warms up. If it does, then start looking at the connector. You can buy this connector at your local dealer. It will have a length of wire already attached, just solder in.

Tony Berger
91 LX 337 Incon Twin Turbo
D&D Viper T-56 6 speed
Maximum Motorsports front to rear
94 Cobra
99 Lightning
88 SSP Secret Service
and it's JUST-N-LX
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
5.0L Member

I just checked the resistance on the sensor and it goes up when cold and lower when hot. I think ill grab a sensor.

89 GT Hatch: Custom M90 Supercharged w/ Ported Trickflow Trackheat Heads, Stage 1 cam, Streetheat lower / Sheet metal upper, Tweecer RT & PLX Wideband, 75mm TB, 1.6 Roller rockers, 3.73s, MSD 6a, Canton 7qt Pan+ Windage tray, 36LB Injectors, 200 amp Alternator, 75mm Pro-Mas MAF, 190lph fuel pump,Spec Stage 1 Clutch,SouthSide LCA's, Pro 5.0 Shifter, Steeda CC Plates / Springs, FMS Aluminum Driveshaft, New T5 w/ 2.95 first gear, Underdrive pullies, Zirgo 3300Cfm Elec. Fan, AFCO alum. radiator
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
5.0L Member

I am going to get that harness today. It's around $22

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDog 5.0
I just checked the resistance on the sensor and it goes up when cold and lower when hot. I think ill grab a sensor.
Sounds like the sensor is working. I'd check out the connector and wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDog 5.0
I am going to get that harness today. It's around $22
Wow! $22 I didn't think it was that much. It's just a connector and two wires. Oh well. Hope that does the trick!

Tony Berger
91 LX 337 Incon Twin Turbo
D&D Viper T-56 6 speed
Maximum Motorsports front to rear
94 Cobra
99 Lightning
88 SSP Secret Service
and it's JUST-N-LX
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
5.0L Member

The guy lied on the phone. It was $17 after tax.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page