6.5" Door speakers that actually fit mounted into my door? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005 Thread Starter
5.0L Member

6.5" Door speakers that actually fit mounted into my door?

I am having trouble getting aftermarket 6.5 " speakers to fit in the door of my stang. The magnets on the backs of most mustangs are too deep and rub the window when it is all the way down. I tried cutting a hole in the speaker grill and seating in the speakers over them to get some extra space and it worked, but the door panel now keeps coming loose. The black screws on the back of the door panel that keep the door panel tightly into the door don't reach as easily.

Has anyone been able to locate speakers that will fit into the hole and actually be mounted into the door and now into the plastic grill? All suggestions are welcome.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005
Apprentice
5.0L Member

i bought my wife a pair of polk audio 6.5" in a 92 lx i later put them in my 88lx, her windows were elec. and mine are manual and i had no problems with either one.

88LX black 5.0, 5 speed,ported upper and lower intake,ported upper throat,phenolic spacer,3angle valve job,bbk 65mm tb & egr, jacobs ignition system ,zoom kevlar clutch,k&n,12-14 timing,plugs gapped 60,nitto450's,removed air sil,dual electric fans,after market rad,fms front lower arms,under drive pulleys,carbon brakes.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005

hey hows it goin? first off are you trying to keep the stock grills?if not do wut i did get ya a sheet of mdf and make ur own grills 3/4 or 5/8 will make almost any 61/2 fit i have boston accoustic 6.5's now with carpeted 5/8s mdf plates sounds great and i think looks better than stock not to good if ur tryin to lose pounds though! good luck!!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005

it is not the depth of most speakers that is the problem, it is the size of the magnets, most aftermarket speakers are not much deeper than factory, if you don't count the huge, useless magnets on them...... nobody needs a 10 oz magnet on a 6.5" speaker............large magnets are required to move the voicecoil in the speaker extreme amounts for maximum excursion, somebody (back in the early 90's) decided that like all other things, that bigger is better, well, if manufacturers would go back to paper cones, with foam surrounds, it would take a lot less energy to move the cones..... thus smaller magnets, and less watts
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to lxarlo
i have alpine speakers in mine, not sure what model but they were installed by the previous owner. and paper cone speakers suck, they dont last as long nor sound as good.

Why drive a Prius when you can have a Fiesta!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page