Installing cd player in 91 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005 Thread Starter

Question Installing cd player in 91

I see no other audio here, but I believe this is a tech subject.

I just ordered a Pioneer DEH-P80MP, along with speakers and other accessories to install into a 91 coupe. The problem is, I went to Bestbuy today and discovered it would cost me at least $150 to have it installed by them. I dunno about anyone else, but I don't want to add a $150 bill on top of a $300 cd player ($400 from bestbuy).
Bestbuy>>> <<<my wallet

If you haven't figured out yet, I'd like to know how to go about doing this without spending so much money. Hopefully someone here has done this already.

Btw speakers are factory replacement, I'm not putting in subwoofers or anything :P

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005
BOSS Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to GhostDog 5.0 Send a message via Yahoo to GhostDog 5.0
If you have a soldering gun or iron you are one step ahead. All you need is the adapter to fit into old radio spot and the aftermarket adapter harness that plugs into your factory harness.

There are 3 simple power wires, 12v constant (Red wire) , yellow wire 12v switched power (gets signal from the ignition to turn on), and the ground (black wire).

The rest are the speaker wires, two per speaker. The harness adapter is labeled with speaker locations and if they are the positive or negative wire. You just match those up and solder them.

Always use the shrink tube over soldered connections, or at the very least black electrical tape over each wire.

89 GT Hatch: Custom M90 Supercharged w/ Ported Trickflow Trackheat Heads, Stage 1 cam, Streetheat lower / Sheet metal upper, Tweecer RT & PLX Wideband, 75mm TB, 1.6 Roller rockers, 3.73s, MSD 6a, Canton 7qt Pan+ Windage tray, 36LB Injectors, 200 amp Alternator, 75mm Pro-Mas MAF, 190lph fuel pump,Spec Stage 1 Clutch,SouthSide LCA's, Pro 5.0 Shifter, Steeda CC Plates / Springs, FMS Aluminum Driveshaft, New T5 w/ 2.95 first gear, Underdrive pullies, Zirgo 3300Cfm Elec. Fan, AFCO alum. radiator
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005 Thread Starter

I do have plenty of soldering items to get the job done if that's all I need to do

The guy at Bestbuy said something about those mustangs having an amp of some sort behind the factory radio? I just need to know really how to wire this thing.

Rereading your post for the 5th time or so, I see you mention an aftermarket wiring harness. The guy said he could sell me one but he needed to look at the car first. He also said he couldn't tell me much about how that stuff works. So basically, it may all just be a marketing ploy Bestbuy uses to sell more stuff.

Just to make sure, should I buy an aftermarket "cd player harness thingy" as well?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005
BOSS Member
5.0L Member

Yes just get the harness. I removed the factory amplifier because it did nothing for my radio. The factory amp is directly behind the old radio and is easy to remove.

There are only two harnesses that need something plugged into it. The harness is like $8 - $15

89 GT Hatch: Custom M90 Supercharged w/ Ported Trickflow Trackheat Heads, Stage 1 cam, Streetheat lower / Sheet metal upper, Tweecer RT & PLX Wideband, 75mm TB, 1.6 Roller rockers, 3.73s, MSD 6a, Canton 7qt Pan+ Windage tray, 36LB Injectors, 200 amp Alternator, 75mm Pro-Mas MAF, 190lph fuel pump,Spec Stage 1 Clutch,SouthSide LCA's, Pro 5.0 Shifter, Steeda CC Plates / Springs, FMS Aluminum Driveshaft, New T5 w/ 2.95 first gear, Underdrive pullies, Zirgo 3300Cfm Elec. Fan, AFCO alum. radiator
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005 Thread Starter

Wire or cd player harness? Since he said there were two wiring harnesses, if that's what I'm supposed to get, should I get the one that has nothing to do with the amp then?

Sorry, complete newbie in car audio components areas I like to make absolutely sure of things before I go do them. I've researched how to install speakers for like the past week and just started on the cd player. I have a week until I go back to Ohio, so whatever I can learn in that amount of time I don't think I'll need to research how to install seat covers, floor mats, a steering wheel cover, and cd visor covers. I hope not anyway...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005
BOSS Member
5.0L Member

Inside the wire harness kit are two wire harnesses. I should have clarified that. There is one with a black end and a white. Match them up with your factory ones and you are good to go.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005 Thread Starter

So I take it this is what you're talking about:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-DJU6NG9...00&I=120705002

And that is all I need then? Besides the adapter so that it fits into the spot. Though the adapter they had looked a bit weird to me. Didn't seem like it'd fit this cd player.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005
PONY Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Those look like the right adaptors. I just did a cd install on my 93 like 2 months ago, got the adaptor from wally-world for like 6 bucks. On mine there were two extra leads under the dash, but I think they went to the cars stock amp (long gone), I ignored them, just hooked up the power and speaker harness, no sweat. .

You are what you do when it counts
'93 GT, AKA Fawkes, basically stock (as far as you know)
'66 Mustang Coupe-AKA "Lenore"
Rice Haters Club Member #239
Carpe Noctum
Beer is my anti-drug
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005 Thread Starter

Oh yes, does this operation entail me removing the dashboard or just the radio area?
PONY Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

nope, just the radio area. You shouldn't have to mess with anything else.

J

You are what you do when it counts
'93 GT, AKA Fawkes, basically stock (as far as you know)
'66 Mustang Coupe-AKA "Lenore"
Rice Haters Club Member #239
Carpe Noctum
Beer is my anti-drug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page