directional dash light question - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006 Thread Starter
Rookie

directional dash light question

ive been driving for 16 years now i yesterday i had this happen to me for the first time. i put on my left directional in my 93 gt vert and i notice the blinker light on the dash isnt working. so i turn on the right directional to see if its working and it is. so like most people i assume i have a bulb out which is why its not lighting up. problem is the directionals are working fine, no bad bulbs. i checked all the fuses and they are fine as well. so im going to assume the dash light burnt out. ive never had this happen before so i guess my question is "how do you change a lightbulb?" god it sounds funny to ask this question, but im clueless. please help. thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Ugh!!! It's a major pita.
You might just be able to unbolt the cluster from the dash, and reach around behind it, with the harnesses and speedo cable still connected. The bulbs should be in little "caps" which twist into place, so that part is easy, it's just gettin' to them. I've done '79-'86s countless times, but I've only been in my '92 once.
If you end up taking the cluster out, replace all of the bulbs.

'88 GT convertible, 5 speed, 3:08 gears, A9L Mass Air conversion. Mac shorty headers and H-pipe, Magnaflow catback.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006 Thread Starter
Rookie

Is There A Particular Way To Get The Cluster Out?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to lxarlo
there is but its kinda hard to explain, first you need to take out the lower driverside panel off, there are two 7 or 8 mm bolts on the very bottom. then the top pulls straight out toward you, then take off the steering column covers, there are three screws accessable from the bottom of the column looking up. after that go to your windshield, and look at the very front of it where the dash meets the windshield, there should be two or three black 7 mm bolts holding the black bezel around the cluster. there are more of these screws under the dash where you took off the first panel. i think there are only four but make sure the panel comes all the way off the mounting point before you start pulling hard on it. once it is free from the dash, you will have to undo the connectors behind the headlight switches and flashers. i think they are supposed to pop out without going from behind, but i tried that and they didnt seem like they wanted to come out so i stopped. its almost easier to take one side out and swing the bezel to the driver side out of the way. now unscrew all the screws around the cluster, i think there are four and they are a gold color i think, 7 mm too. before you remove the cluster, attempt to reach behind the dash up behind the cluster to disconnect the speedo cable. you will know the cable when you feel it, so go up to where it connects to the cluster, and you will feel two tabs on each side of the cable. press those inwards, and pull the cable out. this is not so easy, especially if the cable has not been removed in a while. have patience and be somewhat gentle. once the speedo cable is out you can pull out the cluster out far enough to disconnect the main wire connections behind the cluster. there are two rectangular plugs one on each side. they plug in going up and down, at the long end of each harness, there are two tabs which you will need to press inwards then pull out the connector. once these are out, then the cluster is free!!! take it out and the bulbs are behind the little black things that you turn counterclockwise to remove. replace all of them, or just the one, its up to you. after that then reverse the procedure, and most of all have fun.

Why drive a Prius when you can have a Fiesta!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page