How hard to change a water pump? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006 Thread Starter
5.0L Member

How hard to change a water pump?

I have never attempted to change a water pump before. I think I am going to have to, cuz I see no water circulating in my radiator when it is running with the rad cap off. Also, just to make this install a TON of fun, I have a Vortech SC installed that is partially in the way.

Does anyone have any tips on what I need for this project? Any thing I need to know? Thanks in advance for all advice....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Well I am not sure what the supercharger is like to remove seeing as I have never had one but I just took my whole front assembly off last weekend to install a new cam and well it was really not that bad at all. I would just drain the rad, take off your belt, pull the fan, shroud, and rad out. Then basically just start unbolting, I can't remember exactly what all has to come out to get at the water pump but I have a feeling pretty much everything does because there is bolts that go to mounting plates and such that go through the water pump housing. But even that is not so bad, just try and keep your bolts all separated out and maybe labeled so you know where they go back because there is all sorts of different lengths and different sizes of heads on some of the bolts too :tongue . Also make sure you have all of the gaskets you will need and while you are in there you may want to change the thermostat out since they are cheap and it is right there anyways. Well good luck with the change, are you installing just a stock pump or a high flow one?

1988 Mustang GT - 347 CI in a Dart Sportsman Block, Cammotion custom cam, Ported Victor Jr. Heads, Super Victor EFI Intake, GT91 T-4 single turbo.

9.83 @ 143 MPH @ 14psi on 94 Husky pump gas, still working out the kinks and traction issues. Then on to C16 and 20+ lbs.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006 Thread Starter
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomu2000
Well good luck with the change, are you installing just a stock pump or a high flow one?
I think I will just get the cheezy OE one from AutoZone. Has a lifetime warranty, so why not?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

My rule is, if it's an involved job, (like a waterpump) get a good one. That said, I've run autozone waterpumps before. Napa is probably better. Was the engine warm when you looked in the radiator? Your radiator could be clogged too, causing it to not flow.

'88 GT convertible, 5 speed, 3:08 gears, A9L Mass Air conversion. Mac shorty headers and H-pipe, Magnaflow catback.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006
Classic Member
5.0L Member

get a high volume one from summit, its only like 120 bucks man. dont skimp on your mustang. save the skimping for your daily driver.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006 Thread Starter
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangreen92
My rule is, if it's an involved job, (like a waterpump) get a good one. That said, I've run autozone waterpumps before. Napa is probably better. Was the engine warm when you looked in the radiator? Your radiator could be clogged too, causing it to not flow.
My engine was warm, and my radiator is basically new. I have never run hot since I got my aluminum radiator elec fan combo. I thought maybe my thermo was stuck, but the upper hose was just as hot as the bottom one. The water pump has never been replaced to my knowledge. But it does not leak a drop. Wouldn't I have heard some noise, or something if the WP broke while driving? I didn't hear anything, but it started running hot while idling. I can't think of anything else it might be but the WP. If anyone has any bright ideas, I'd love to hear them.... Thanks for all the comments, guys:thumbsup
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Have you replaced the thermostat to amke sure it isn't that before you get that involved? I had an 85 years ago and I ran into the same problem. Turned out to be the thermostat. Just an idea....

Good luck with the install, it's not as hard as it looks, just make sure you clean everything off, and that there aren't any old pieces of the old gasket.

1979 Pace Car - Build in Progress
1985 Oxford White Mustang - SOLD
1985 Maroon Red Mustang - SOLD
1986 Charcoal Grey Mustang - SOLD
1987 Oxford White Mustang - SOLD
1989 Red Mustang - SOLD
1994 Green Vert Mustang - SOLD
Ducati 748s - Cause you gotta have fun on 2 wheels sometimes.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

I've never seen one break inside(which really means nothing). Try squeezing the bypass hose, it should always have water coursing through it. The bypass is the 90ļ elbow hose between the pump and the thermostat housing.
I have seen thermostats stick shut.

'88 GT convertible, 5 speed, 3:08 gears, A9L Mass Air conversion. Mac shorty headers and H-pipe, Magnaflow catback.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to Young_Buck Send a message via MSN to Young_Buck Send a message via Yahoo to Young_Buck
Just change out the water pump, anyways!

Is there any real harm in doing it? No... if you're running hot with an aluminum radiator, then maybe your water pump isn't doing a good enough job. And, like systronic said, don't skimp.

Spend the extra moolah and get yourself a Heavier Duty water pump. Those stock pumps aren't built with the intent to handle higher RPMs (if you bring your car up there, and with a S/C... yeah, you just might be ) I mean, yes, they will get the job done and will push water/coolant through it, but will tend to wear out quicker. So, you're choice, really.

But, my suggestion stands! :thumbsup

1990 Black Mustang GT - Breanna

Died March 18, 2009

1986 Silver Mustang Convertible - Phoenix

From the ashes shall rise...
PONY Member
5.0L Member

The vanes on the water pump can literally rust into nothingness. Ive seen it a few times over the years, but in every case the radiator looked like mud water was flowing in it.

Blade
5.0L Member

or you have a weaping head gasket
BOSS Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to GhostDog 5.0 Send a message via Yahoo to GhostDog 5.0
Usually a busted waterpump has common signs of noises, hums or small leaks out of the weep hole. If you arent experiencing that I would inspect your thermostat like stated.

Thats a lot less expensive but it can be a PITA with that supercharger. Those two smaller hoses are a real pain. Make sure you put some grease on the inside of them so you can twist them into position or else you will be sorry.

Also, I cover installing a new waterpump in my head cam intake swap article here.
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/techa...intakeswap.pdf
It has a lot of pics.

89 GT Hatch: Custom M90 Supercharged w/ Ported Trickflow Trackheat Heads, Stage 1 cam, Streetheat lower / Sheet metal upper, Tweecer RT & PLX Wideband, 75mm TB, 1.6 Roller rockers, 3.73s, MSD 6a, Canton 7qt Pan+ Windage tray, 36LB Injectors, 200 amp Alternator, 75mm Pro-Mas MAF, 190lph fuel pump,Spec Stage 1 Clutch,SouthSide LCA's, Pro 5.0 Shifter, Steeda CC Plates / Springs, FMS Aluminum Driveshaft, New T5 w/ 2.95 first gear, Underdrive pullies, Zirgo 3300Cfm Elec. Fan, AFCO alum. radiator
5.0L Member

5.0 Water Pumps

The last 'in car' 5.0 water pump I replaced was on my 1987 Grand Marquis. The symptoms of failure were a subtle anti-freeze odor in the engine bay, which surprisingly enough had been present since the vehicle was new, although I could never detect any leaks. When the pump finally let go, the coolant begins to leak out of the 'weep hole' in the top of the casting where the shaft runs out. Luckily it wasn't a catastrophic failure as I was able to drive the vehicle (with somewhat frequent pit stops) around 500 miles back to my home. The local dealers/repair shops wanted an obscene amount of $$$ to replace what amounted to a $40 part (brand new from NAPA). It took me about six hours to replace mine, and that included a bit of 'running around' part searching.

Some Tips:

Disconnect the battery.
Drain the coolant (Duh!).
Remove the radiator, shroud, fan. Label the bolts or thread them back into place.
Make a diagram (or take a pic) of how the belt(s) are routed.
Start at the front of the motor and work toward the block.
Move the accessories over to the side and secure using rope/twine/bungees/etc.

Be careful removing the water pump bolts! For the most part the actual water pump bolts thread into or through aluminum die-cast housings. Breaking one of these off and you're in for a real fun time. These bolts are like gold at the dealerships. I think they quoted me around $8 per and this was back in the early 90's. And you're not gonna find them at your local Home Depot. They are threaded 5/16 on the motor side, and 3/8 on the accessory side. And they have varying lengths. If you're not running any accessories, then it's not a problem. But you are. Inspect (and clean!) those bolts once you get them out. I can't remember for sure, but I know at least one of them runs through open coolant before getting into the timing cover. These bolts may have rusted to the point that you shouldn't reuse them. Assuming you haven't snapped it off already. I wasn't so lucky, I ended up using a small pipe wrench (ViseGrips didn't work) to remove it. Then it's definitely a trip to the dealer (or perhaps junk yard, although at this point I sucked it up and got a new bolt).

Remove the old gasket material carefully! Don't get in there and start gouging with a screwdriver. Take your time, cause if you dig into the surface of the timing cover, you'll have a hell of a time getting the new gasket to seal correctly.

I used Hylomar on the new gasket when it came time to reassemble. Also coat the shanks of the bolts that pass through the coolant in Hylomar. This will help delay any future rusting. Oh, and use a bit of anti-sieze on the threads.

As far as water pumps go, buy a new one. It's not much more than a rebuild and the warranty is better. Although it only covers the actual part, the real cost of this repair is the labor involved...As you will find out.

You do own a torque wrench, right? Use it. Torque spec is 12-18 lbs.

Reassemble/Refill/Reconnect. Elapse time: I'd budget around 3-6 hours, depending on how the bolts come out and how they look.
5.0L Member

5.0 Water Pumps

The last 'in car' 5.0 water pump I replaced was on my 1987 Grand Marquis. The symptoms of failure were a subtle anti-freeze odor in the engine bay, which surprisingly enough had been present since the vehicle was new, although I could never detect any leaks. When the pump finally let go, the coolant begins to leak out of the 'weep hole' in the top of the casting where the shaft runs out. Luckily it wasn't a catastrophic failure as I was able to drive the vehicle (with somewhat frequent pit stops) around 500 miles back to my home. The local dealers/repair shops wanted an obscene amount of $$$ to replace what amounted to a $40 part (brand new from NAPA). It took me about six hours to replace mine, and that included a bit of 'running around' part searching.

Some Tips:

Disconnect the battery.
Drain the coolant (Duh!).
Remove the radiator, shroud, fan. Label the bolts or thread them back into place.
Make a diagram (or take a pic) of how the belt(s) are routed.
Start at the front of the motor and work toward the block.
Move the accessories over to the side and secure using rope/twine/bungees/etc.

Be careful removing the water pump bolts! For the most part the actual water pump bolts thread into or through aluminum die-cast housings. Breaking one of these off and you're in for a real fun time. These bolts are like gold at the dealerships. I think they quoted me around $8 per and this was back in the early 90's. And you're not gonna find them at your local Home Depot. They are threaded 5/16 on the motor side, and 3/8 on the accessory side. And they have varying lengths. If you're not running any accessories, then it's not a problem. But you are. Inspect (and clean!) those bolts once you get them out. I can't remember for sure, but I know at least one of them runs through open coolant before getting into the timing cover. These bolts may have rusted to the point that you shouldn't reuse them. Assuming you haven't snapped it off already. I wasn't so lucky, I ended up using a small pipe wrench (ViseGrips didn't work) to remove it. Then it's definitely a trip to the dealer (or perhaps junk yard, although at this point I sucked it up and got a new bolt).

Remove the old gasket material carefully! Don't get in there and start gouging with a screwdriver. Take your time, cause if you dig into the surface of the timing cover, you'll have a hell of a time getting the new gasket to seal correctly.

I used Hylomar on the new gasket when it came time to reassemble. Also coat the shanks of the bolts that pass through the coolant in Hylomar. This will help delay any future rusting. Oh, and use a bit of anti-sieze on the threads.

As far as water pumps go, buy a new one. It's not much more than a rebuild and the warranty is better. Although it only covers the actual part, the real cost of this repair is the labor involved...As you will find out.

You do own a torque wrench, right? Use it. Torque spec is 12-18 lbs.

Reassemble/Refill/Reconnect. Elapse time: I'd budget around 3-6 hours, depending on how the bolts come out and how they look.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006 Thread Starter
5.0L Member

Thanks for all ya'lls help. Just a dang thermo stuck... no biggie! Had me a little nervous, though!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page