Dual Wishbone Suspension conversion?? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

Dual Wishbone Suspension conversion??

So I have been doing a LOT of reading and searching (mainly searching lately) on suspension upgrades to get a better bead on what i want to do. The rear is easy, I pretty much have that nailed down.

The front is a different story, however... I have been considering all of the shortcomings of the MacPherson strut setup our Foxes use, and have seen that i either have to deal with it and work around the suspension, which is extremely difficult because of its inherent failures, or replace it completely, which would involve something like somehow swapping in a Mustang II front end with the double wishbone coil over shock setup. What i would like to know is if anyone has any info on this type of swap. I can find absolutely no info on the web. I realize now that most of the conversions I have heard of were completely custom and mainly race app. I want a decent ride, but I cannot live the constant battling the suspension goes through,,, oversteer most of the time and then just when you arent ready for it, a certain corner gives you all the understeer you can imagine... Its extremely frustrating. I rode in a friends turbo 240 sx last night and it handles considerably better.

If anyone has any info here at all, it would be much appreciated, thanks

Cardinal Red '88 GT 5 speed, 99 Contour Electric Dual Fans, Battery relocated, 130 amp alternator, 76mm Mass Air conversion, 75mm BBK throttle body, 5.0L .030 over, BBK SSI, AFR 185cc heads, Comp Cams XE276HR, BBK ceramic longtubes, Spec Stage II clutch, MM front/rear coil overs, MM front LCA's, MM manual brake conversion, Flaming River Manual Rack, 94-04 Cobra front brakes, 99 Cobra IRS, Torsen T2R differential, 3:55 gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006
Banned
5.0L Member

strut tower brace , g load brace, caster camber plates, stiffer front springs, energy suspension bushings. sub frame connectors. hope this helps.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006
Classic Member
5.0L Member

i said it before and ill say it now

i paid 440 bucks for the FMS bullit handling kit from summit racing.
came with 600lb front springs, 250lb rear springs, and specially valved front struts and rear shocks.

best 500 bucks i ever spent. dropped the car down a bit, and made it so stiff its unbelievable, and i dont even have subframe connectors.

i also added caster/camber plates, which are the best investment you can make.
they allow your alignment to be adjusted for super high performance.

the macpherson setup is certainly not the best, youre right. but for minimal cash, you can make it handle way better than that crap 240sx.

the right springs, a good alignment, and some awesome tires will keep you on the ground.

get a good set of endlinks and a bunch of polyurethane bushings to keep everything tight, and you will be good to go.

eventually, a good tubular k-member and tubular a-arms would be a great way to stiffen things up even more, but i would avoid coil-overs on your stang. the macpherson strut towers werent meant to handle that kind of weight and force, and will ultimately flex and decrease performance.

subframe connectors are a must.

dont knock the fox body's setup. its been around since 1979 and it isnt going anywhere anytime soon.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to speedytang
In Super Ford magazine back in early '90 a company was making a new cradle that had upper/lower control arms like the good old handling days. If I get a chance I will go thru my 1000's of magazines and see if I can find a picture. I don't ever remember a article but the picture was really large I remember that and it looked like a Trans-Am style upgrade for a Fox. I have seen full tube frame Mustangs with that kind of setup but would like this option also but would not me legal in any Autocross but sure be fun on open track day.

Twin Turbo Intercooled(TTi)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

Yeah I was thinking about just getting a Mustang II front end and chopping it up and welding it to a k member, so that The engine mounts and whatnot would be as stock as possible ( maybe drop it just a little). Thats something I can always try, I was just wondering if anyone has seen anything. Let me know if you find that mag, thanks Speedytang

Cardinal Red '88 GT 5 speed, 99 Contour Electric Dual Fans, Battery relocated, 130 amp alternator, 76mm Mass Air conversion, 75mm BBK throttle body, 5.0L .030 over, BBK SSI, AFR 185cc heads, Comp Cams XE276HR, BBK ceramic longtubes, Spec Stage II clutch, MM front/rear coil overs, MM front LCA's, MM manual brake conversion, Flaming River Manual Rack, 94-04 Cobra front brakes, 99 Cobra IRS, Torsen T2R differential, 3:55 gears
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

I'll bet an IRS would make more of a difference that you might suspect. Does the 240 have IRS? I once drove a buddy's '83 Supra, and wow!!!, what a great handling car. I didn't push it hard, this was just normal driving, but it sure felt better than any of the foxes I've owned.
I'll bet Systronic's and Mustanghelper's advice, in concert with an IRS setup will yield a darn fine handling ride.

'88 GT convertible, 5 speed, 3:08 gears, A9L Mass Air conversion. Mac shorty headers and H-pipe, Magnaflow catback.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Barts Works
HP Motorsports
Bill Mitchell
Griggs

They all at one point made an SLA for Fox and or SN95 Mustangs (and Capris). Actaually, HPM manufactured and sold the BW stuff so technically it's only three. Maximum motorsports has been (for a few years now) rumored to be coming out with an SLA but as of yet, nada.

Here is a BW/HPM install from 5.0 Mustang and Super Fords:

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/howto/37458/

1979-1993 Fox Capri and Mustang VIN Decoder: foxchassis.com

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, Vehicle Certification Labels, Buck Tags, Build Sheets, Window Stickers, Owner Cards, Warranty Tags, History 999 Reports, Invoices, Axle Tags
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangboy5666
So I have been doing a LOT of reading and searching (mainly searching lately) on suspension upgrades to get a better bead on what i want to do. The rear is easy, I pretty much have that nailed down.

The front is a different story, however... I have been considering all of the shortcomings of the MacPherson strut setup our Foxes use, and have seen that i either have to deal with it and work around the suspension, which is extremely difficult because of its inherent failures, or replace it completely, which would involve something like somehow swapping in a Mustang II front end with the double wishbone coil over shock setup. What i would like to know is if anyone has any info on this type of swap. I can find absolutely no info on the web. I realize now that most of the conversions I have heard of were completely custom and mainly race app. I want a decent ride, but I cannot live the constant battling the suspension goes through,,, oversteer most of the time and then just when you arent ready for it, a certain corner gives you all the understeer you can imagine... Its extremely frustrating. I rode in a friends turbo 240 sx last night and it handles considerably better.

If anyone has any info here at all, it would be much appreciated, thanks
Griggs and HP Motorsport have front conversions. They add weight, but they work well.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page