Porting a stock intake.. is it worth the time and effort? - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002 Thread Starter
Mustang II Member

Question porting your intake

Has anybody ported their stock intake? If so was it worth it?

I have an extra stock intake I wanna experiment with.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 410cougar
you can port it. if youve got a hook up and get it done for beer its worth it. if not id go with an aftermarket intake. best porting is extrude hone. ive heard great things about ported cobra intakes as well as TFS Heat intakes being ported.

j :smoke:

2004 mustang gt: JLT CAI, SLP LM2 catback,
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002
Banned

extrude honing is too expensive, and porting will not produce the same effect as an aftermarket intake

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 410cougar
it is but it is the best porting you can get. but as i was stating if he get porting done for free id do it on the stocker if he didnt have the money for an aftermarket. aftermarket is the best though.

j :smoke:

2004 mustang gt: JLT CAI, SLP LM2 catback,
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002

Twister.....not the same effect? You are right.....it will flow more. I have read some articles on extrude honed (stock) intakes and heads outflowing the best AF aluminum intake and head setups by up to 30%. Its the polishing effect that you cannot get from a casted part. Plus the biggest gain is the almost exact port matching capabilities that cannot be duplicated by hand.

Yeah its expensive but I can get a set of heads flowed cheaper than a set of AF aluminum ones.......shipping included. Not alot cheaper but for a much better product I think it is worth it.

For example: Stock 5.0 intake.....average airflow 143 cfm. AFTER extrude honed....average airflow 228cfm (59% increase). They even claim they can increase hand ported products 15-20%.

Its on my wish list.......
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Do you believe every add you see and read?

Nobody at the pro level uses extrude honed parts. Hmm, make you think a little?

86 GT Convertible - NA 306
[email protected] (~2000' DA), 1.57 60' on BFG DRs
89 LX 5.0 - stock daily driver
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002
tkm
Apprentice

Amen to that 86Cobra

Tom...TK Race Heads...
Porting...Flowbench...14 NHRA Records
Full engine machining and builds
514-920-0094
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002
5.0L Member

I ported and polished my lower intake of my GT40 upper and lower combination. It made such a difference! I took a gasket that matched my heads, stuck them down to the head. Put on my intake with some glue so the gaskets would stick to the intake. Pulled the intake off when the glue was dry. I then marked the intake where the gaskets were. Took off the gasket, then took a carbide bit and die grinder then WENT TO TOWN! :green Afterwards, I took a flap wheel with 60 grit sandpaper, cleaned it all up. It made such a difference it was incredible. I didn't think it would but it did.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002
Banned

Emery, I had a ported and extrude honed intake on my stang, and my stock '93 Cobra intake puts out more power with my combo
GT Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Twister
Emery, I had a ported and extrude honed intake on my stang, and my stock '93 Cobra intake puts out more power with my combo
just curious, did you get that difference dyno tested or was it seat-of-the-pants?

Tom Moss
88 GT 5spd Vert 3:73s, stock H pipe with Flowmaster dumped, Crower 15511 cam @ 110 ICL, GT40P heads & 1.7 rockers, Jet-Hot coated MAC P headers, Holley SM2 intake, 70mm TB, and still SD with 19# Explorer injectors.
Banned

Tom, real obvious seat of the pants, it produces more bottom end and my milage has improved
GT Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 86Cobra
Do you believe every add you see and read?

Nobody at the pro level uses extrude honed parts. Hmm, make you think a little?
Don't they use hand made sheet metal intakes? Is that a fair comparison really? I have my reservations about their claims too, but I think the basic principal has it's good applications. I think their claims about porting the upper stock intake are REALLY overstated!

Personnally though, I hand port these stock lowers and it gives a great gain for next to nothing if you do it yourself. You need to get the #1 & #5 runners welded for porting. You also don't want to go in there a hog everything out as much as possible. That's for NA though - blown is different.

Tom Moss
88 GT 5spd Vert 3:73s, stock H pipe with Flowmaster dumped, Crower 15511 cam @ 110 ICL, GT40P heads & 1.7 rockers, Jet-Hot coated MAC P headers, Holley SM2 intake, 70mm TB, and still SD with 19# Explorer injectors.
GT Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Twister
Tom, real obvious seat of the pants, it produces more bottom end and my milage has improved
Darn, I was hopin you had some dyno tests.

Tom Moss
Banned

wish I had them

Twister....that superises me. No I dont believe everything thats why I posted the comment to see real experienced data. I never automatically believe anything........things sound impressive and to be good ideas I then further research it. Did you have the intake and heads done with portmatching?......or just the intake?

the combo probally responds alot better than piecingin together a setup. If I ever afford it it will be intake, heads, exhaust manifold port gasket matching setup........like I said wish list.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page