power steering components lat model vs. rock auto - Page 9 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 155 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

i did all that tape stuff and thought it was centered, it did go quick so maybe it isn't is centered as I thought. I reread that link about the guy doing the conversion on his ltd and he clocked the "v" part of the sn95 rack down and got really close. He didn't use the mm shaft but don't see how that isn't worth checking out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Yeah it is easy enough to check again with the tape n the steering wheel.

post #123 of 155 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I'll try the triangle thing and go from there using the tape method as per mm and see what happens. this steering thing is pretty damn tedious but hopefully it's worth it. I guess it's just a matter of fine tuning now.

MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Doing the centering was the 2nd biggest pain for me doing the conversion, I probably pulled that shaft off 25 or so times trying to find the right tooth. I have to say that I'm really happy with the outcome on my car, steering feels totally different.
post #125 of 155 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

darn 25 times huh? I got something to look froward to. I just wonder if the tie rods ends get equalized on either side then steering rack should be centered, steering wheel is same turn from center to lock on either side then everything should be good. Maybe I'm simplifying things. I got the wheel to turn one turn each way by seeing how crooked it was and adjusted the spline the same or opposite direction then closed in until I had the "exact" turn. Not the mm way but it was outside the box.
post #126 of 155 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

i'm hoping I'll have the same result you did but I still don't know if it's a true cobra spec rack. Anything is almost better than what I had, noise, leaks etc.
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Well you do have an SN95 Rack, so even if the internals are not Cobra it will still be an upgrade.
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemare View Post
darn 25 times huh? I got something to look froward to. I just wonder if the tie rods ends get equalized on either side then steering rack should be centered, steering wheel is same turn from center to lock on either side then everything should be good. Maybe I'm simplifying things. I got the wheel to turn one turn each way by seeing how crooked it was and adjusted the spline the same or opposite direction then closed in until I had the "exact" turn. Not the mm way but it was outside the box.

I took the car for a quick spin tonight and its roughly 2 1/2 turns lock to lock. Back when I was centering the rack, I did the tape on the steering wheel along with measuring how far the inner tie rods came out on each side. I did not get it perfect as one side comes out 3/32" more than the other, spoke with MM about it and they prefer it to be exact but said I would be ok or could try some offset bushings to shift the rack, if I move 1 tooth in either direction it ends up way out of spec. so you can see why I put that on and off so many times.
post #129 of 155 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

i agree with the rack just being an upgrade, not having power steering noise will be great but haven't started motor yet so don't know if the new pump is quite or not.

I really appreciate you counting, i have something to compare to now. Reread the instructions tonight and realized i wasn't doing the lock to lock count right, as you could probably tell, so I'll hit it tomorrow and see what happens. I doubt taking the time to install offset bushings would be worth the 3/32, that sounds very minuscule. How were you able to get it fine tune it one tooth at a time? mark it somehow or just be really slow and careful?
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

It was just trial and error, pulling that shaft off and on till I got it where it is now. I do know 3/32" is pretty small but I would have been more comfortable closer to 0 but then again I'm a bit of a perfectionist.
post #131 of 155 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

i feel if you put in all this effort it should be perfect, I want mine to be perfect as well but that small amount is as close as we're gonna get unless we have access to that garage w/all the right tools and so forth.

I messed with mine awhile ago and got the tie rods darn close as far as sticking out on either side, measured inside of rims front and back and got 49ish inches so i feel the rack is centered turn lock to lock was 1 1/4. centered the steering wheel and got this after I turned the wheel lock to lock.

power steering components lat model vs. rock auto-20150418_202535.jpg

power steering components lat model vs. rock auto-20150418_202549.jpg

tried to keep camera as level as possible. i might try again tomorrow and remeasure the wheels front and back inside rims and see if something moved in the process. I think the steering wheel should of been equal turns if everything was lined up but I guess this is where you took the upper shaft off and on so much.
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

You look to be fairly close but are probably 1 tooth away from being centered. Looking at those pics., the tape looks like its about even with the lower switch on the right side of the dash but above the headlight switch on the left side.
post #133 of 155 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

you are right about the position to the switches. I'm guessing move one tooth to the right if you're looking at the steering wheel. i'll try in the am and see where it goes, it's cool that I'm really close finally to ending this.
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Once the steering wheel is centered then you can go down and adjust your TieRods and you should be good to go.
post #135 of 155 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

well I'm guess I'm good to go as these far as these adjustments go. I moved mine over a tooth and tried one more like you did and had the same results so I put it back before it got messed up worse. everything else looks good, here are some pics of the final adj. camera angle and tape not perfect but you get the idea I'm sure.

power steering components lat model vs. rock auto-april-19.jpg

power steering components lat model vs. rock auto-april-19-2.jpg

going to look up torq specs on castle nut for tie rods ends and install the cotter pin correctly. next up is fill the pump and get air out of system.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page