1988 Mustang GT Bypassing The Clutch Safety Switch - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

1988 Mustang GT Bypassing The Clutch Safety Switch

Hey guys I did the conversion on my 1988 GT from aod to t5 and the car didn't start which didn't surprise me much since I don't have the 5speed harness. What I wanted to know is what wires do I need to switch around/hardwire? There's a 2 prong connector with 2 wires running down from the top of my t5 they look like they're both black then from the side of my t5 there are 3 wires running out of another connector (white/purple, black/purple, and the red/blue just runs back to the connector). Running out from the inside of my car out to the tranny are a 4 prong connector with 4 wires (pink/white, black/purple, orange/forgot the color, and a red/forgot the color). Additionally my clutch pedal assembly has a 2 wire/prong coming out of it similar to the one pictured,anybody knows where it goes? The first pic is the connector from the aod, the second pic is the connector from the top of my tranny, the third pic is the connector from the side of my tranny, and the fourth pic is a clutch assembly with the wiring I spoke of. I know it's alot of work and questions but I'm trying to get her on the road this weekend so any info is appreciated guys.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00451.jpg
Views:	12548
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	33142   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00453.jpg
Views:	3246
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	33143   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00461.jpg
Views:	2784
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	33144   Click image for larger version

Name:	T5Pedals1.jpg
Views:	9537
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	33145  

Single Cam Hatchback

"My nitrous jets carry more hp than your B16" :hihi:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLG34750 View Post
As a point of reference going from a 290 rwhp car to a 500 rwhp....

will be like riding a 500cc dirt bike and jumping on a "Busa......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

The one on the top of the T5 is the neutral switch. The reverse light switch is on the driver side of the gear box. It has a circular connector, and the terminals are two male lugs on the switch.

'88 GT convertible, 5 speed, 3:08 gears, A9L Mass Air conversion. Mac shorty headers and H-pipe, Magnaflow catback.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

Do you or anyone know how to hardwire it all?

Single Cam Hatchback

Quote:

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Jump the White/Pink and Red/Lt Blue wires at the AOD harness connector.....that will allow the starter to operate. LUK
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0900823d80167163.gif
Views:	11190
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	33150  

ACRONYMS:
LUK=Let Us Know, GL=Good Luck, LMK=Let Me Know, JIC=Just In Case, BTSTDTRT=Been There Seen That Done That Repaired That, YCYDYP=Your Car Your Dough Your Prerogative and the classic... DILLIGAS=Do I Look Like I Give A S***
1986 GT-X303 cam, 289 heads, 1.72, Holley 700cfm DP, RG 4+1 Trans.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

Man I'm goin to feel like an idiot but here goes nothing, by jumping them do you mean connect the 2 together (white/pink with red/lt blue) or do you mean to connect them to the directly to the 5 speed wires from the tranny, what's throwing me off is that on the connector from the t5 the red/Lt. blue wire comes out the connector and then goes right back in the connector.

Single Cam Hatchback

Quote:

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samotrx7 View Post
Man I'm goin to feel like an idiot but here goes nothing, by jumping them do you mean connect the 2 together (white/pink with red/lt blue) or do you mean to connect them to the directly to the 5 speed wires from the tranny, what's throwing me off is that on the connector from the t5 the red/Lt. blue wire comes out the connector and then goes right back in the connector.
Yep...connect them together, don't use any of the switches in the T5 b/c they are not configured to be used as a neutral safety switch. One is the gear switch, used to inform the ECM the transmission is in-neutral, and the other one is the reverse light switch.

You will be able to activate the starter all the time with the jumper wire installed, if you want to add the clutch pedal switch as a safety switch, you would need to wire those two wires to one of the connectors at the clutch pedal switch assy.

ACRONYMS:
LUK=Let Us Know, GL=Good Luck, LMK=Let Me Know, JIC=Just In Case, BTSTDTRT=Been There Seen That Done That Repaired That, YCYDYP=Your Car Your Dough Your Prerogative and the classic... DILLIGAS=Do I Look Like I Give A S***
1986 GT-X303 cam, 289 heads, 1.72, Holley 700cfm DP, RG 4+1 Trans.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

Thanx alot Joel50! I wired it up and my baby fired right up no problems and surprisingly no check engine lights (considering that I just threw on some longtubes). So thanks again.

Single Cam Hatchback

Quote:

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to 87stang 5.0
just make sure its in nuetral every time you start it, ive done the opostite a couple of times

New addition: 1986 GT t-tops 5.0L 5speed, intake, exhaust,9mm plug wires

1987 Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed,white with smoke grey interior,MAF conversion,Perfection clutch(valeo)2.5inch Ravin exhaust, subframe connectors, ported lower intake & heads=SOLD
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

Yeah I'm definetly goin to have to pay attention from now on. Down the road I'm probably goin to get the harness but I just wanted to get her ready for this weekend. It's hard staring at it in the garage knowin that it needs somethin so little to run (we all know that feeling).

Single Cam Hatchback

Quote:

Apprentice

when I did my conversion, I used the white/pink and purple and pink wires to bypass

24lb FRPP injectors, 73 MM C&L MAF, 70MM Pro Product TB, Trick Flow Street Heat Upper/Lower Intake, Prted E7TE Heads, E303 Cam, MSD 6AL Ignition Box, FRPP Shorty Headers, Mac Pro-Chamber exhaust, RAM clutch, FRPP 4:10 gears, FRPP "B" Springs
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

Yeah I had seen that in another post but I'm not sure if the colors changed with the years because my car didn't have a purple and pink wire, so that threw me off a bit, but it's coo that all you guys helped out with info.

Single Cam Hatchback

Quote:

Apprentice

I don't know if Ford changed the colors on the wiring, try using a jumper wire with clips on it and figure out which ones work for you to make it start. You will enjoy the extra torque with the T5, I sure am.

24lb FRPP injectors, 73 MM C&L MAF, 70MM Pro Product TB, Trick Flow Street Heat Upper/Lower Intake, Prted E7TE Heads, E303 Cam, MSD 6AL Ignition Box, FRPP Shorty Headers, Mac Pro-Chamber exhaust, RAM clutch, FRPP 4:10 gears, FRPP "B" Springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page