Like driving on ice - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Like driving on ice

Hi all, been a while sine I was on here. Here is the issue I find.
Upon acceleration from a stop, my car goes straight. It drives straight at a constant speed. I can take my hands off the wheel and the car tracks true. If I remove my foot from the gas pedal, the car immediately sways, as if I was on ice. It takes a few corrections with the steering wheel to get back under control. This sway also occurs when I get back on the gas, but it isn't neary as pronounced or hairy. This has happened on a couple of trips and and I have now stopped driving the car. I have checked the rear end, upper and lower control arms. They seem to be bolted in place tight. I have checked the shocks, not sure what they would do...Sway bars, both front and rear, are firmly bolted in place. I put the car up on jack stands and let the rear end hang. I am unable to move it front to back or side to side. I checked the torque boxes and don't see any evidence of cracking / separation

Any ideas from you gurus? help !

Last edited by 91convert50; 09-18-2016 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Add signature
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016
Rookie

Garage
motor mount might be broken which could cause motor to move alittle , good to check anyway..
upper control arms maybe,
could be a camber issue on tires which can make them track uneven road surfaces and then would make it feel odd
also always good to check wheel bearings and you already check sway bar links so that's good.
hopefully this helps you on your search

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016
PONY Member

Garage
Personally I think its the rear end still. To me it sounds like whenever the rear end loads up or unloads the torque form the engine it shifts in bad way. If you have a gopro maybe slap it underneath looking at the suspension and just go for a drive. Quick and easy way to see if the rear end shifts. I know you said you couldn't move it side to side when you had it up on jacks but driving the car will generate a lot more force and stress on the control arms and torque boxes than you will be able to generate yourself.

That being said this is the way I would go about trouble shooting. I'm not a rear-end/suspension expert but in my mind that's how I think the rear end is behaving.

90 LX 5.0 5spd
FTI TW 11R 170cc --- Custom Cam Soon....
Ported 93 Cobra Intake Manifold -- BBK 75mm TB
FRPP shorties -- BBK O/R X
Spintech Prostreets -- 2.5in Flowmaster Tails
Hurst Billet Plus Shifter -- BBK CAI
FRPP 3.73s -- Walbro 190lph
3G alt -- Contour Fans -- '92 Premium Radio w/ EQ

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Thanks guys.

I dont have a GoPro, so I think I will try driving past person with a camera and see if I can identify anything.
Yes Krem12, I think it is the rear end also. All the bushings were replaced with the new control arms, except the rubbers in to top of the housing. Would those being 25 years old and rubber have enough give under load?

Gonna try to work on the car Tuesday night

Thanks

1991 Mustang LX 5.0 Convertible. 302, GT40 Heads, GT40 Intake, 1.6 Harland Sharp Roller Rockers, Accufab 75mm TB, BBK 75mm MAF, BBK CAI, 24# injectors, F303, MAC shorty headers, BBK off road H pipe, Flowmaster 40 series, Ford 4.10 gears, SR Perf Upper and Lower control arms, SR Perf Full Length Subframes, Ford Racing "B" Springs, Eibach Pro-Dampers, Smog deleted, rebuilt AOD with 4r70w gears
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016
PONY Member

Garage
Are you talking about the bump stops? If so I doubt it will. Something in the control arm department is screwed up. I personally couldn't tell you what but it sounds like you could probably figure it out.

Good Luck!

90 LX 5.0 5spd
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91convert50 View Post
Hi all, been a while sine I was on here. Here is the issue I find.
Upon acceleration from a stop, my car goes straight. It drives straight at a constant speed. I can take my hands off the wheel and the car tracks true. If I remove my foot from the gas pedal, the car immediately sways, as if I was on ice. It takes a few corrections with the steering wheel to get back under control. This sway also occurs when I get back on the gas, but it isn't neary as pronounced or hairy. This has happened on a couple of trips and and I have now stopped driving the car. I have checked the rear end, upper and lower control arms. They seem to be bolted in place tight. I have checked the shocks, not sure what they would do...Sway bars, both front and rear, are firmly bolted in place. I put the car up on jack stands and let the rear end hang. I am unable to move it front to back or side to side. I checked the torque boxes and don't see any evidence of cracking / separation

Any ideas from you gurus? help !

How about the air pressure in the tires? Have you checked them?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Yes, 35 pounds in all 4 tires. No flats.

Still unable to figure it out. Gonna put it up on jacks stands again and pry on the control arms with a BF prybar.
Worst thing is that I have to trailer it to a shop. Not fun right now

1991 Mustang LX 5.0 Convertible. 302, GT40 Heads, GT40 Intake, 1.6 Harland Sharp Roller Rockers, Accufab 75mm TB, BBK 75mm MAF, BBK CAI, 24# injectors, F303, MAC shorty headers, BBK off road H pipe, Flowmaster 40 series, Ford 4.10 gears, SR Perf Upper and Lower control arms, SR Perf Full Length Subframes, Ford Racing "B" Springs, Eibach Pro-Dampers, Smog deleted, rebuilt AOD with 4r70w gears
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016
GT Member

1991 Mustang lx
D.S.S. 342ci {10.5:1}
TFS 190cc + track heat
Lunati 61011 .549".565"
Pro-M 76mm maf
Jetronic 30lb inj
QA1 Coilovers
17" Weld ProStar XP's
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Spent time this weekend on my back under the car. Found that I can move the rear end almost an inch with a BF Screwdriver prying on the upper control arms.
Guess that is what I get for buying cheap parts. The bushings on both are mush. The sleeve just wobbles around inside the bushing.
Now I know....

Guess I need new uppers and lowers. Can't really trust any of the existing stuff. My understanding is that they are an odd ball size, so not even sure if I can replace just the bushings.

I tried to post a picture, but am unable to do so for some reason.

Searched around on the net and find that BBK and UPR are both $299, about $100 more than I really want to spend. Any other ideas?

I'm listening...

PONY Member

Garage
Id call up American muscle and see if they can tell you what the bushing size is. Then go to summit(or jegs) and see if they can get you a set of rear bushings for it . That's probably the only way you can fix this without buying new control arms.

90 LX 5.0 5spd
GT Member
S197 Member

Garage
I have Granatelli upper and lowers on my 89. It is not a daily driver, just a strip toy, but they have about 8,000 very hard miles on them, and I have had no issues with them.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Granatelli/467/GMRS7901

Howelldaddy
89 LX Notch: Floo-Tek 5.0X heads, GT-40 intake, B-303 cam, Dynamic 3800 converter, 4.10:1 gears & lots of suspension work. 12.50 @ 106.42 MPH.
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howelldaddy View Post
I have Granatelli upper and lowers on my 89. It is not a daily driver, just a strip toy, but they have about 8,000 very hard miles on them, and I have had no issues with them.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Granatelli/467/GMRS7901
The link doesn't work
GT Member
S197 Member

Garage

Granatelli GMRS7901: Rear Control Arm Set 1979-04 Mustang (except IRS) Includes: | JEGS

Howelldaddy
89 LX Notch: Floo-Tek 5.0X heads, GT-40 intake, B-303 cam, Dynamic 3800 converter, 4.10:1 gears & lots of suspension work. 12.50 @ 106.42 MPH.
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howelldaddy View Post

Granatelli GMRS7901: Rear Control Arm Set 1979-04 Mustang (except IRS) Includes: | JEGS
lol nope, not working
Rookie

I bet you have rear control arm bushings are shot causing the rear end to move around. Try this company out http://https://www.aftermarketsuspensionparts.com/ There is 2 different bushings. Round 4.3114 and oval 4.3115. Lot cheaper than control arm bushings.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page