Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - Suspension Modifications? How does this sound?
View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2006
stangcrosser
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwmustang06
Lots of great information in this thread. Thanks for the advice. I think going in a straight line is probably more of my interest. I'll never be able to handle as well in a turn without lowering the car and that's not really an option (my last performance car was a Corvette, I got tired of bottoming out and hitting road debris in my area!).

That said, if there is a weak spot in the suspension design that can be easily fixed, then I'll definitely do it. That was the primary reason for wanting a rear sway bar.

Here's what I think I'm hearing:

Lower Control Arms (LCA): Replacing the LCA's seems to be one of the first things people do. I am definitely replacing these, probably going with a non-adjustable part.

Panhard Bar Brace: Not necessary for straight line peformance, but a weak spot in the factory design. Looks like I should get one.

3rd link: It seems like I should replace this part, but I'm getting mixed information from a few different sources. If I do it, I'll be going with the non-adjustable part, since I won't be lowering. Is it really worth it on a street car?

Here's what confuses me:

Panhard bar: I don't need an adjustable bar, because I'm not lowering it and it doesn't do much for straight line performance, I suppose. Still, I do turn the car every once and a while.

Is there a noticable improvement on a street car with an aftermarket panhard bar? Or is it a waste of money if I'm not going to lower it?

Sway bars:
I was driving the car last night and would appreciate a little less understeer. Should I replace the front sway bar, the rear sway bar, or both?

FRPP makes a pretty affordable package of front and rear sway bars. The price is attractive, but for that price, there must be a catch.
The stock Panhard bar is strong enough for your purposes. I wouldn't spend the money on an adjustable Panhard bar unless you needed to move the rear axle laterally to center it. The stock Panhard brace is flimsy as you noted.

'06 GT, manual, Satin Silver, lt. grey cloth int., IUP.
MODIFICATIONS - Goodyear F1 GS-D3s; 245/45 on 18x9, 275/40 on 18x10| Progress Technology springs & sway bars| Steeda adj. panhard bar, panhard brace, front control arm brace & bushings| strut tower brace| Tokico D-Spec dampers| CHE adj. LCAs & BMR relocation brackets |drilled & slotted front rotors| C&L intake| BamaChips SCT tune| FRPP 4.10 ring & pinion| Pypes off road H-pipes| FRPP GTA mufflers.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome