View Single Post
post #17 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2006
65sohc
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicfii
Well, I crawled underneath the car (again), removed the plastic bushings, then cleaned and re-lubed them with a lot more grease this time. I then cleaned the threads and nut on the transmission linkage, applied heavy duty Locktite, and only tightened the nut "snugly" (snuggly?). It is shifting better now, but I am still not happy with it. Maybe I'll send it back. Hard to believe it's the shifter, though- all this shifter does is move the one linkage rod back-and-forth while rotating it, and just about any assembly is capable of doing that. I'm thinking its the transmission. More to come later....
I don't know if this has any bearing on your problem, but you mentioned removing and lubing the bushings. Does the Hurst by chance use the stock Ford plastic bushings that original stud passes through? I have a Saleen shifter which does use the stock bushings. But whereas the stud slips easily into the original shifter and moves very freely, the bushings fit much more tightly in the Saleen and it is much more difficult to push the stud through. Once the stud passes through it is extremely tight and shift action is very stiff. At first I thought I had overtightened the nut on the stud but after thinking about it some came to the realization that the hole in which the bushings fit is too small, thus pinching the stud. I removed the Saleen and dremeled the hole larger. Mine is significantly easier to shift now, though I'm going to ream it one more time to free it up completely. So, my question to you is: does the stud slide easily through the bushings or is it a pretty tight press fit?

2016 GT350, tech pack, JLT intake, Lund flex tune

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome