Ford Mustang Forum banner

How can I tell if tuning has been done to my 2012 Mustang?

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  David Young 
#1 ·
I recently purchased my first Mustang, a 2012 Candy Apple Red V6 with a manual transmission. The previous owner had installed a Hurst billet shifter, Airaid CAI, and Flowmaster exhaust. The car definitely feels more responsive than the 2011 I rented a couple of years ago. Is there any way of knowing whether or not any electronic tuning has been done?

#2 ·
If the car has a tune on it you should have gotten a handheld tuner, like a SCT or Diablo Sport with the car when you bought it.

#3 ·
yeah you "should" but unfortunately that is often not the case, I was one of those cases where the car had been tuned but the dealer did not give me the tuner, in fact the dealer swore up and down that it had not been tuned

A Ford dealer can read the program in the ECU and can tell if it has been reprogrammed (aka "tuned"). I had to do this with mine. They cannot tell you what has been done in the tune, only that it has been re-flashed.

If possible, the best bet is to get in touch with the previous owner and ask them. Unfortunately many dealers will not do that for you, due to "privacy" bull crap.

#4 ·
better question, If his car has been tuned and for what ever reason he can not get his hands on it from the last owner.... what to do. You would have no Idea of what tuner was used, How would you get it back to stock if you wanted to , or with a VIN lock could you even add another tuner to changed things in it. like for gears , etcjudge.gif

#7 ·
If my math is correct, with the 225/65R17 tires and the roughly 2000 rpm in 5th gear at 50 mph, I would say I've got the 3.31 gearing. I can live with that, lol.

#8 ·
While it is still new to you, IF you bought it from a dealer, I would ask to get in writing if it has ever been tuned. If it has decide if the potential loss of wtty is worth giving the car back.

I ain't trying to start a Moss act war, just trying to inform the new kid.

#9 ·
Actually, I have it in writing from the dealer that the remainder of the Ford warranty is in effect and I also had the computer checked - never been flashed. With only 13k on the car, I should be good for many years/ miles of fun driving as well as embarrassing the occasional import, whether it be Japanese or German.

BTW, the 2011 I rented was a V6 premium automatic convertible. My manual coupe should be quicker, but it is even more responsive than I would have expected. I am extremely happy with it.

#11 ·
should be a little white sticker with the gear ratio on the rear end pumpkin :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.