Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - brenspeed cai +tune...how much?
View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2006
JourneymanDave
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose_knuckle
Well i was either going to get the TI or the JLT2 but ive heard people having problems with the heat shield...and they are similar in price.....so i figured id spend just a little less and get the one i havent heard that many problems for. but how much does brenspeed charge for a custom tune. i mean canned tunes are nice and all....but what if i want him to make me a custom tune for my car...like when i add a couple for mods and such....any idea on what that would cost me? if you dont mind me asking...what did it cost u for the JLT2 and tuner out the door?

as for a tuneless CAI...ive heard people liking them just for the bang for the buck...but i dont think it compares to a tune. also im not sure how you can increase the airflow and not run lean. especially with these engines. but i guess that shows you how much i know.
From my own experience with the JLT and what I hear and read about TI, it's hard to go wrong with either. I'm going to guess you're referring to the JLT when you mentioned the heat shield issue. There were a couple of rare problems with the early JLT's. Both have been fixed with the JLT 2 CAI, so you can probably disregard those specific reports at this point. Personally, I've had zero issues with mine so far.

I got my tunes from BamaChips, but looked at Brenspeed really hard too. I think you'd be best off discussing custom tuning with Brent himself. I know he does mail order business, but I've not ever asked for anything custom, unless you count the CMRC delete Doug did for me and that was no-cost. Brent has a great rep, so I'm sure it'll be fair.

"Custom" tuning could even include an in-person dyno session to get a hand-tweaked tune. Obviously, that'd be the optimal situation, but I don't know if you have a good tuner that's geographically convenient to you. The canned tunes are probably 90 or 95% of what you'd get in a personalized tune. I've just never felt yet like I needed more.

I gave, I believe $545 out-the-door, for Doug's JLT2, SCT and 3 tune combo. In my book, that's a bona fide deal, and has been cost-effective performance for my car. I'm sure Brenspeed has a similar combo if you've made up your mind to purchase from Brent. And Evolution could be in the mix too (see, I'm trying to share the love).

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome